Fender Bender
3543 posts

Re: News regarding the Warhawk space

Jul 6, 2010

mybro92 wrote:

Well Im surprised that the Guitar Hero 5 VIP space has been taken down yet because their is NO ONE their. Everytime I go their their is no one their, frankly Im surprised that space wasn't taken down first.

I imagine there's a time factor to the contract to have the space in Home - Warhawk was an older space, and it's contract time was probably up (in addition to being barely visited at all), I doubt the GH5 space is anywhere near its termination date.

Message 71 of 76 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Jul 6, 2010

Amir29 wrote:

If any of this was stated before, sorry...

Anyways... Here goes...

I certainly understand why this space was removed. I'm sure by now the development team has learned to create spaces that cause less strain on the entire application, and because of this space's remarkably low attendance for over a year now, it's not hard to understand the reasoning behind it's removal. However, I feel that the execution of this removal was very poor.

Firstly, as I am sure other posters have mentioned by now, a single day for notice a space will be removed, is really not adequate. If managers were as poorly informed and such short notice was required, that's really where transparency as to why we are being given such short notice would be greatly appreciated.

If such an abrupt removal was not necessary, then more homework should have been done as to when it would be best to remove this space. At the time of it's removal, a Warhawk event was planned, and a discount on an add-on for the game was also introduced which may have had a slight surge in attendance for this space.

Speaking of attendance, I think this space suffered from poor exposure throughout it's lifespan on Home as well. This is one of the rare spaces in Home that actually added to the game's online experience by providing a utility not found in the game itself. Of course, I am talking about the sand tables. 

The sand tables provided a means for players to create strategies they were not able to execute in the game itself. This was exposed to the users within the Home community, but was never mentioned to the actual Warhawk players through the game itself. That left many not knowing about this incentive to visit Home, and may have cost the Home community the potential to attract some new citizens.

As far as your question about spaces being available for a limited time... I think we're all cool with that. But, limited time spaces (ie: E3) should be labeled as temporary spaces from the get go, and not become limited time spaces at the drop of a hat and without ample notice. Permanent spaces should be up indefinitely. If it needs to go down for repair or a much needed overhaul, that's fine. But, it shouldn't ever be considered OK to just give up on a space without some transparency as to why we have lost a space that was otherwise known to be permanent.

In the end, we all want to see Home grow, not shrink. I can only hope this will not become a trend in Home's future.

• Agreed, i would say its best to give us a week to a months notice for a spaces removal, i know i would liked to go through and take a few pics in the space before it was gone.
  • Another good point, this was (was) the only space that had anything quite like that.
  • While Warhawk did have the sandtables, and full game launching, there was still little incentive to go into Home before playing. For something like a clan match it may have been reasonable but the sand tables where still clunky and without voice chat in Home itself on the fly planning in game may have actuality been quicker and easier. 

Lastly i think you guys should make a policy along the lines that if any space is getting little to know traffic, has no more support from the games devs, and is ok with the community, it should be pulled. 

@Jim777PS
Message 72 of 76 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
834 posts

Jul 6, 2010

Jim777 wrote:

Amir29 wrote:

Anyways... Here goes...

I certainly understand why this space was removed. I'm sure by now the development team has learned to create spaces that cause less strain on the entire application, and because of this space's remarkably low attendance for over a year now, it's not hard to understand the reasoning behind it's removal. However, I feel that the execution of this removal was very poor.

Firstly, as I am sure other posters have mentioned by now, a single day for notice a space will be removed, is really not adequate. If managers were as poorly informed and such short notice was required, that's really where transparency as to why we are being given such short notice would be greatly appreciated.

If such an abrupt removal was not necessary, then more homework should have been done as to when it would be best to remove this space. At the time of it's removal, a Warhawk event was planned, and a discount on an add-on for the game was also introduced which may have had a slight surge in attendance for this space.

Speaking of attendance, I think this space suffered from poor exposure throughout it's lifespan on Home as well. This is one of the rare spaces in Home that actually added to the game's online experience by providing a utility not found in the game itself. Of course, I am talking about the sand tables. 

The sand tables provided a means for players to create strategies they were not able to execute in the game itself. This was exposed to the users within the Home community, but was never mentioned to the actual Warhawk players through the game itself. That left many not knowing about this incentive to visit Home, and may have cost the Home community the potential to attract some new citizens.

As far as your question about spaces being available for a limited time... I think we're all cool with that. But, limited time spaces (ie: E3) should be labeled as temporary spaces from the get go, and not become limited time spaces at the drop of a hat and without ample notice. Permanent spaces should be up indefinitely. If it needs to go down for repair or a much needed overhaul, that's fine. But, it shouldn't ever be considered OK to just give up on a space without some transparency as to why we have lost a space that was otherwise known to be permanent.

In the end, we all want to see Home grow, not shrink. I can only hope this will not become a trend in Home's future.

• Agreed, i would say its best to give us a week to a months notice for a spaces removal, i know i would liked to go through and take a few pics in the space before it was gone.
  • Another good point, this was (was) the only space that had anything quite like that.
  • While Warhawk did have the sandtables, and full game launching, there was still little incentive to go into Home before playing. For something like a clan match it may have been reasonable but the sand tables where still clunky and without voice chat in Home itself on the fly planning in game may have actuality been quicker and easier. 

Lastly i think you guys should make a policy along the lines that if any space is getting little to know traffic, has no more support from the games devs, and is ok with the community, it should be pulled. 

I'd just like to point out the one folly in this. The sand tables were removed from the public space when the personal space was added with them, wasn't it? Maybe that was the intention. As most users know voice chat is available in personal spaces.

I'm not a genius or anything but wouldn't the personal space be adequate for those clans? They'd then have access to game launching still along with the sand tables and open voice chat. Really the personal space would be better for clans to plan and such also since it'd be private, just for those clan members.

Message 73 of 76 (11 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Jul 9, 2010

TheUndertaker85 wrote:

Jim777 wrote:

Amir29 wrote:

Anyways... Here goes...

I'd just like to point out the one folly in this. The sand tables were removed from the public space when the personal space was added with them, wasn't it? Maybe that was the intention. As most users know voice chat is available in personal spaces.

I'm not a genius or anything but wouldn't the personal space be adequate for those clans? They'd then have access to game launching still along with the sand tables and open voice chat. Really the personal space would be better for clans to plan and such also since it'd be private, just for those clan members.

The issue with sand tables in a private place only, is that you are limited to discussing strategy with only 10 - 11 others. This is without mentioning the requirement to now pay for the private space which many Warhawk players may not be interested in without knowing anything about the table or how well it funtions.

A public space can contain up to 64 users at the same time. This is more than enough people to truly have fun planning strategies in Warhawk.

My opinions are an umbrella of thoughts that have to do with it's removal being too swift, and how the space was poorly managed throughout it's lifespan. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Message 74 of 76 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2254 posts

Jul 10, 2010

Amir29 wrote:

TheUndertaker85 wrote:

Jim777 wrote:

Amir29 wrote:

Anyways... Here goes...

The issue with sand tables in a private place only, is that you are limited to discussing strategy with only 10 - 11 others. This is without mentioning the requirement to now pay for the private space which many Warhawk players may not be interested in without knowing anything about the table or how well it funtions.

A public space can contain up to 64 users at the same time. This is more than enough people to truly have fun planning strategies in Warhawk.

My opinions are an umbrella of thoughts that have to do with it's removal being too swift, and how the space was poorly managed throughout it's lifespan. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Actually, Clubhouses would have been a more suitable place for sandbox usage after the removal of the space, but am in agreeance with Amir on the other points.

GISignature
Message 75 of 76 (11 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Jul 10, 2010

That's actually a great idea Nos. It would help to promote clubs in Home and have a few affiliated to Warhawk clans. I wonder if this is a possibility? And if so, giving notice to Warhawk players in the actual Warhawk game, could definitely be a wonderful solution to the poor exposure the public space received in the past.

If managers are still reading, is this a possibility for the future?

Message 76 of 76 (11 Views)
0 Likes