Aug 11 2013
By: Enistachia Survivor 1979 posts

New User Awareness Month/Week

[ Edited ]
75 replies 1362 views Edited Aug 16, 2013

As you all may know, September is New User Awareness Month on HOME. (Its not, but it really should be)  Its the month where New Users (Noobs) get the respect they deserve and are treated as an up-and-coming member of the HOME community.

You may have noticed that I am a Wallflower, but I am not watching as a creeper, I am actually reading your interaction with the crowds.  I don't care about your personal lives, I only care about how you treat others in public, and I have noticed some really unsettling habits forming.  Such as rudeness, I cannot get over the amount of intolerance for almost anything that comes out of a New User's pop-up.  I remember being "New" when all we could spend on were personal spaces and a few select items.  So "Noobs" were just the users who didn't really know their way around Home.

But let us go back to rudeness for a moment... As a New User all excited to get involved with an exciting social app/game, and the first thing I want to do is ask some questions.  I am going to approach the most interesting Avatar I see, hoping to meet a nice person... "Goodbye"  Even before I type!!  "Goodbye"  Another one!?  What am I doing wrong?  I am a New User, that seems to be the only thing.  Now some people when the are faced with this type of rejection will automatically want to retaliate and thus a Troll is born.

However, with a little patience and understanding can make all the difference in a User's view on our Community.  And maybe we will start to see less and less astrixes in our Rainbow of Pop-Ups.  The patience is a simple as knowing that they may not have a keyboard and so they are using the lovely Sixaxis to relay this message to you, understanding also falls into place here because they may also be struggling with workings of the onscreen keyboard.  Shouting out "Get a keyboard!!" will only confuse the user and possibly throw off course of their question, if you don't want to talk to them its fine, just walk away.  The difference between an actual New User and a Troll is that the Troll will usually pester and not move on with out getting a rise.  Seasoned Home Users will be able to notice the difference.

I am not just going to abandon this thread like I do with others, I find that some threads get kiboshed even before they get the chance to be seen by the people they were intended for.  I can guarantee that this subject has been brought up before, in a separate thread, on page 21,998, and filled will meaningless rank-up posts.  This topic goes way back to the PlayStation Underground days.

Message 1 of 76 (1,362 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
165 posts

Re: New User Awareness Month

Aug 11, 2013
I really like this post. I think its best to purport yourself and/or group as being kind to others on Home in general. I think its a sham when people say no noobs or openly ridicule people in home public for how they dress. My friends think I'm crazy to engage some people who look like they may be trolls or creeps, but if you say hi to me, I acknowledge you. What follows in conversation is what's important. Thats when you find out the content of the character which is all that really matters.
Message 2 of 76 (1,345 Views)
Survivor
1979 posts

Aug 11, 2013

xXpizzagirlXx wrote:
I really like this post. I think its best to purport yourself and/or group as being kind to others on Home in general. I think its a sham when people say no noobs or openly ridicule people in home public for how they dress. My friends think I'm crazy to engage some people who look like they may be trolls or creeps, but if you say hi to me, I acknowledge you. What follows in conversation is what's important. Thats when you find out the content of the character which is all that really matters.

It is refreshing to get your response, I like knowing that there are other like-minded Users.  It really does get me down to witness ridicule on Home and for such a reason as this!  We want New Users.  I would say continue to engage them.  Who knows... Maybe this new user will be capable of bringing something totally unexpected and challenging to the conversation.

Message 3 of 76 (1,330 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3270 posts

Aug 11, 2013

I'm in Smiley Happy

Always strange to see Avatars dressed to be seen having a rude reaction when approached. 

First impression is very important. If we want new user to behave and follow "Homietiquette" the first thing to do  is to behave ourself.

-Doc

Freedom is not the power to say no.
Real freedom is the power to say yes.

6EQUJ5 Do you copy?

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 4 of 76 (1,309 Views)
Fender Bender
1473 posts

Aug 11, 2013

Enistachia wrote:

As you all may know, September is New User Awareness Month on HOME. (Its not, but it really should be)  Its the month where New Users (Noobs) get the respect they deserve and are treated as an up-and-coming member of the HOME community.

You may have noticed that I am a Wallflower, but I am not watching as a creeper, I am actually reading your interaction with the crowds.  I don't care about your personal lives, I only care about how you treat others in public, and I have noticed some really unsettling habits forming.  Such as rudeness, I cannot get over the amount of intolerance for almost anything that comes out of a New User's pop-up.  I remember being "New" when all we could spend on were personal spaces and a few select items.  So "Noobs" were just the users who didn't really know their way around Home.

But let us go back to rudeness for a moment... As a New User all excited to get involved with an exciting social app/game, and the first thing I want to do is ask some questions.  I am going to approach the most interesting Avatar I see, hoping to meet a nice person... "Goodbye"  Even before I type!!  "Goodbye"  Another one!?  What am I doing wrong?  I am a New User, that seems to be the only thing.  Now some people when the are faced with this type of rejection will automatically want to retaliate and thus a Troll is born.

However, with a little patience and understanding can make all the difference in a User's view on our Community.  And maybe we will start to see less and less astrixes in our Rainbow of Pop-Ups.  The patience is a simple as knowing that they may not have a keyboard and so they are using the lovely Sixaxis to relay this message to you, understanding also falls into place here because they may also be struggling with workings of the onscreen keyboard.  Shouting out "Get a keyboard!!" will only confuse the user and possibly throw off course of their question, if you don't want to talk to them its fine, just walk away.  The difference between an actual New User and a Troll is that the Troll will usually pester and not move on with out getting a rise.  Seasoned Home Users will be able to notice the difference.

I am not just going to abandon this thread like I do with others, I find that some threads get kiboshed even before they get the chance to be seen by the people they were intended for.  I can guarantee that this subject has been brought up before, in a separate thread, on page 21,998, and filled will meaningless rank-up posts.  This topic goes way back to the PlayStation Underground days.

I've had this happen to me when I first came onto home.

People had little patience waiting for me when I was trying to type and several people just walked away, their loss, and others told me to "Get a keyboard" of which I didn't understand. I thought I was using the keyboard.

One person in particular, however, showed a great deal of patience and understanding, in waiting for me to type, and that was Conrad_Max. We chatted and I didn't feel like he was getting impatient with me at all, and I was typing with my thumbs as fast as I physically could, just in the hopes he wouldn't walk away, LOL.

Now I have finally gotten a keyboard, and "wow" it is so much easier to talk, but I am now feeling the "impatience" that others must have been feeling while talking to me.

I just go back and remember how I was treated by Conrad_Max, and try and show them the patience that I was shown.

Paying it forward.

So you see, new people to home, can experience and learn how to treat others, by the examples shown to them by the more seasoned members on home, and if they are given the "respect they deserve and are treated as an up-and-coming member of the HOME community", well, you just never know, you might have met a wonderful person who could make a  wonderful addition to the HOME community!

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 5 of 76 (1,302 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5453 posts

Aug 11, 2013

I fully endorse this thread. It's a really nice sentiment. It's also something that I find myself guilty of from time to time, where I could be a little more tolerant.

It's good to step back and actually put yourself in their shoes and remember what it was like when you first started using Home. Given that Home has changed a lot over the years, a lot of the mentality hasn't.

I'm game for this, let's do it!

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 6 of 76 (1,247 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

Aug 11, 2013

Surprise, surprise. (I know this is going to shock everyone) Smiley Wink but I'm in! Smiley Very Happy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 76 (1,236 Views)
Survivor
1979 posts

Aug 11, 2013

I've had this happen to me when I first came onto home.

People had little patience waiting for me when I was trying to type and several people just walked away, their loss, and others told me to "Get a keyboard" of which I didn't understand. I thought I was using the keyboard.

One person in particular, however, showed a great deal of patience and understanding, in waiting for me to type, and that was Conrad_Max. We chatted and I didn't feel like he was getting impatient with me at all, and I was typing with my thumbs as fast as I physically could, just in the hopes he wouldn't walk away, LOL.

Now I have finally gotten a keyboard, and "wow" it is so much easier to talk, but I am now feeling the "impatience" that others must have been feeling while talking to me.

I just go back and remember how I was treated by Conrad_Max, and try and show them the patience that I was shown.

Paying it forward.

So you see, new people to home, can experience and learn how to treat others, by the examples shown to them by the more seasoned members on home, and if they are given the "respect they deserve and are treated as an up-and-coming member of the HOME community", well, you just never know, you might have met a wonderful person who could make a  wonderful addition to the HOME community!

Great example!  

I think its that feeling of stress when using the controller for txting is what done it in for me and I promptly switched.  Time is a very important thing and we all have our own to spare, unless you know that your about to get in trouble for not keeping the real world.  I often have to let people go just due to timing.

If you g2g you g2g and a simple g2g is all you need.

Message 8 of 76 (1,219 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1979 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 11, 2013

Welcome aboard @Legendary_Vicki and @JulianMatisse!! I have a few ideas that need some further development and I will be posting all content as soon as its worthy of public view, here in this tread.  XD

Message 9 of 76 (1,207 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Aug 11, 2013

Count me in. Smiley Very Happy

I'd be glad to help with whatever this is.

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 10 of 76 (1,194 Views)