Wastelander
572 posts

Re: NOT COOL O-TWO, NOT COOL !!

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

There are tons of new rewards in Lab Japan today:

There are also 6 new companions. This is the first of the new bunch (a D class & the Final Boss of Monster version 1)

New_Peakvox_companion_001.JPG

PL_new_Dclass_003.jpgPL_new_Dclass_001.jpgPL_new_Dclass_002.jpg

I'll be updating my findings in this post:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Mini-guide-Peakvox-Lab-Japan-amp-Monster-Jap...

Message 31 of 49 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6050 posts

Re: NOT COOL Q-TWO, NOT COOL !!

May 22, 2013

jj_dillon wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

jj_dillon wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

When you start to think someone owes you something it's time to take a deep breath and get a reality check. Japan Home owes us nothing. NA Home needs to nurture it's own Home Grown Developers that produce some unique quality content of it's own. Then there  would be no need to worry about what other regions are getting.Woman Happy

I never said Japan owes us anything, I was stating that while they're spaces are getting updated, we here in NA / EU are getting nothing.

I'll say again, if we have the spaces we should get the updates to those spaces.

Its not a matter of them oweing us, its a matter of being fair to everyone.

I understand what your saying and if we lived in the perfect world things would be fair. Life is not always fair and that's just an unfortunate fact of life

Yea I know life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean that developers of PS Home can't be fair.

Another thing, for how long has the community has been demanding, begging, pleading for developers to make it so we could listen to music or watch videos from our XMB on home ? Since day 1 thats how long. and going on 5 years now and that hasn't come, best we got is Loots EOD.

We already have picture frames that allow us to upload pictures from our XMB onto Home. We got a camera and an active camcorder that upload pictures and videos from Home to our XMB, so why not an active tv or radio that allows us to play music / videos from our XMB on Home ?

I hear you. I was one of those people. The state Home is in now kind of reminds of a Liquidation sale. Things are patched up to get them out the door. Once the final sale is made it's a done deal. If there's a problem the person returns to a vacant store front with a OUT OF BUSINESS  sign staring them in the face. Hope I'm wrong though because I do enjoy home.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 32 of 49 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

May 22, 2013

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

When you start to think someone owes you something it's time to take a deep breath and get a reality check. Japan Home owes us nothing. NA Home needs to nurture it's own Home Grown Developers that produce some unique quality content of it's own. Then there  would be no need to worry about what other regions are getting.Woman Happy

This is a very interesting point since most our Devs are not even NA but EU. 

Out of sheer curiosity how many Devs are from NA?  or based in the US of A?

TSUNADE1224 to be honest I don't. I'm sure there are folks here with that info. I do know what you say about EU developers is true. I would say that's probably the reason EU and Japan Home get their content first. It's kind of sad that the USA relies so much on importing now a days rather than producing things.

Not Sure why this is any kind of surprise, seeing that gaming and the gaming industry is a Japan invention.. The way it has always been from the beginning is that Japan gets everything we don't. The pecking order for things in the gaming world has always been Japan first, EU second, and NA gets the leftover scraps.. Nothing new in anyway shape or form!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 33 of 49 (176 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11842 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013

jj_dillon wrote:

Japan has updated their Peakvox Labs 3 - 4 times already, maybe even more (not counting limited time events), While NA and EU are still waiting for their first update for the space.

Right now the way I see it, its like IREM all over again, where Japan was getting everything and everyone else was getting nothing but little bread crums.

NOT COOL O-TWO !!

I hope we get nothing. I'm all for keeping content in Japan only, makes it better for me.

Message 34 of 49 (168 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

May 22, 2013

jj_dillon wrote:

nagon111 wrote:

Do you know how much cost and time it takes to localize a space? Especially there probably is no fluent English staff on their team, and doing their best using dictionary and such and trying to contact with SCEA in half broken English and not understanding half of what they say also.

How about you try localize a space not in Japan to Japanese and contact SCEJ in Japanese. How much time and effort do you think it'll take then just doing it in your own language?

1) Localizing spaces isn't as hard if there is no need to hire voice actors for english dubbing.

2) If I could I would, but right now my computer isn't programmed for just tasks, maybe when I get a new computer I could. We'll see.

You have no idea how difficult it is to localize a space. Here's a few things to consider:

1. You need to generate a translation from Japanese to English.

2. You then need to operate on the translation conceptually, because Japanese doesn't translate well to English. I'm not talking about an extra plural or some bad grammar, I'm talking about concepts and words that don't exist in English. It's much easier to translate French or Spanish, where the basic rules and concepts are similar.

3. Everything in Home has a memory limit, including text. All of those item descriptions and popups have to live within very specific limitations. If your translation exceeds the available memory, it must be changed.

4. Everything must be QAed to make sure it works.

At a minimum, you're looking at two months of work and tens of thousands of dollars. In other words, it's hard, it's expensive and it may not even make financial sense for a developer to do it.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 35 of 49 (165 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1085 posts

May 22, 2013
Not so being a JP invention. Go back to the very beginning of gaming and look up Ralph Bayer. Also look up pong.
TRANS-UNITY SUPPORTING TRUE TRANSGENDER GAMERS ON ALL PLATFORMS
Message 36 of 49 (133 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 22, 2013

What a bunch of babies. Develop some patience--and buy Peakvox content. The more cheapskates there are, the less incentive O-Two has to port the content.

U2crazy4me wrote:

Not Sure why this is any kind of surprise, seeing that gaming and the gaming industry is a Japan invention..

Completely wrong.

Multiplayer board games go back to the ancient Egyptians (senet).

The first digital game, Nimrod, was built by a British company in 1951. It was based on the design of an American nuclear physicist.

The first coin-op video game, Galaxy Game, was built by two Stanford grads in 1971.

The first video game console, the Magnavox Odyssey, was released in 1972. It was designed by Ralph Baer, who is considered the father of video games.

SEGA was originally formed as a merger of two American companies. Nintendo's first foray into the game console market was reselling the Magnavox Odyssey. Excluding their Laser Clay alleys, Japanese video games were essentially nonexistent until 1973 when Taito released Davis Cup and Soccer. The West's exposure to Japanese games wasn't until the mid to late 70s: Speed Race (1974), Gun Fight (1975), and Space Invaders (1978).

Message 37 of 49 (132 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1405 posts

May 22, 2013

Thought some clarification would be helpful here to straighten out some facts.

1951: Nim

A drawing of the NIMROD computer.

On May 5, 1951, the NIMROD computer, created by Ferranti, was presented at the Festival of Britain. Using a panel of lights for its display, it was designed exclusively to play the game of Nim; this was the first instance of a digital computer designed specifically to play a game. This machine was based on an original design built by E.U. Condon in 1941, after having acquired a patent in 1940. The machine weighed over a ton, and a duplicate was displayed at the New York World's Fair] NIMROD could play either the traditional or "reverse" form of the game.

As for the what is considered the first digital game Nim:

"Variants of Nim have been played since ancient times. The game is said to have originated in China (it closely resembles the Chinese game of "Jianshizi", or "picking stones"), but the origin is uncertain;"

From a decision by Sony to move away from Community to focus on Competition...

To a forum that was on its way to repairing itself in a focus on Community.. now having trolls protected if they help generate site hits..

To the world of HOME being kept in the dark when so many developers have left already...

A concept focused on profits and Competition have another name in the world of Pro-Community- RIP!

May the trolls, drama makers and competitive personas find joy in Sony - I'll do like soo many others and just move on.

Kitty Pyra - Career and Online life ended officially 2014
Message 38 of 49 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1085 posts

May 23, 2013
Ty for filling in things I missed on that lesson.
TRANS-UNITY SUPPORTING TRUE TRANSGENDER GAMERS ON ALL PLATFORMS
Message 39 of 49 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

Vox_Rationis wrote:

What a bunch of babies. Develop some patience--and buy Peakvox content. The more cheapskates there are, the less incentive O-Two has to port the content.

U2crazy4me wrote:

Not Sure why this is any kind of surprise, seeing that gaming and the gaming industry is a Japan invention..

Completely wrong.

Multiplayer board games go back to the ancient Egyptians (senet).

The first digital game, Nimrod, was built by a British company in 1951. It was based on the design of an American nuclear physicist.

The first coin-op video game, Galaxy Game, was built by two Stanford grads in 1971.

The first video game console, the Magnavox Odyssey, was released in 1972. It was designed by Ralph Baer, who is considered the father of video games.

SEGA was originally formed as a merger of two American companies. Nintendo's first foray into the game console market was reselling the Magnavox Odyssey. Excluding their Laser Clay alleys, Japanese video games were essentially nonexistent until 1973 when Taito released Davis Cup and Soccer. The West's exposure to Japanese games wasn't until the mid to late 70s: Speed Race (1974), Gun Fight (1975), and Space Invaders (1978).

First off, how you come up with a board game makes me totally laugh out loud.. Wasn't even referring to board games, Gaming in this day and age is in case you didn't know is a short term for Video gaming not board games. Not to mention there is No actual definitive proof that the Egyptians were the first to do so LMAO..

Now I will say that I honestly did totally forget about the Magnavox Odyssey, its been so long I had a bit of a mind laps there.. The Nimrod technically doesn't count and I'm not really about to go into the reasons why only to say that it really never had any impact on the gaming scene or market, was actually like typical British engineering a complete fail..

And to correct your statement of the first coin-op, not sure where you came up with that info but it is widely and factually known that the first ever coin-op is what is most often mistakenly believed to be the first console, Pong... Not Galaxy Game. Here's a source for you incase you want to dispute it and a quick quote from the first paragraph

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=ConsoleMuseum.Detail&id=3&game=12

"Pong, while not the first videogame, was the first coin-op arcade game and the first mainstream videogame that was available to almost everyone. Pong was the impetus for the development of the videogaming industry, almost single-handedly creating both the home and the arcade videogame markets."

Also too you might what to read up on Nintendo while your there cause I don't know where you came up with that info either. Nintendo only got into the video game market in the 80's long after the Odyssey was out of sight cause the Odyssey was a flop in its own right. And Nintendo had been around since 1889, not in video games of course, but it was still around as a company making card games.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did misrepresent my original statement, It was suppose to state that Japan invited the gaming industry AS WE KNOW IT, not that they were the sole inventors of it.. The company's that came before it were the ones that were responsible for the gaming crash, after that the Japanese market swept in and brought it back to life and showed the others how the business should of been done, took over from there and never looked back..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 40 of 49 (75 Views)