Apr 06 2010
By: tdarb Fender Bender 3844 posts

My voice chat solution

30 replies 17 views Edited Apr 6, 2010

I've thought about this, and it seems that there needs to e a good compromise between full open chat, and none at all. I think I've found it. I'll probably post it in suggestions thread, but would like some discussion on it first.

I think what we have now is pretty good, but I would add three things.

1) Open public chat with selected friends in any space at any time. You should be given an option in the pda to enable or disable it for all the people on your friends list individually. It would work similar to the block list, but just for voice chat.

2) There needs to be a core space or spaces set aside with unrestricted voice chat. I wouldn't use CP for this since it is too widely used by everyone for other activities. It would need to be a space set aside for just that purpose. Right now a good example would be the Gamer's Lounge. It doesn't have to be there, but it shouldn't be a space that already has activities that people gather specifically for like bowling, chess, or the mall.  Open up voice chat and let it go in there.

3) This ties into #2. We need a party system, so people can form groups and wander anywhere while freely talking to each other. We could even just meet someone in CP or the mall and invite them to use voice chat without having to bother with friending.

How would this all work?

Let's say I am in central plaza just hanging out and xlr8life pops in and sees me. I'm not really paying attention to Home, but then I hear "Hey t", and he and I chat for a while, but he has to go.

So I decide I want to chat a little more and pop into the gamer's lounge since open chat is not available in central plaza. I run into a few people there that are having an interesting conversation so I join in and we all decide to go play poker at EA. One of the people forms a party and we get invites similar to what you would get for being invited to join someone in a space. We all join and head over to EA chatting it up. So we're at EA and there's xlr8life again. He's a pretty good guy and he may like these people too, so I invite him to join the party while we all play.

The party could be initiated or disbanded in any space, and would probably need a participant limit.

I think the combination of chat spaces, a party system, and friend chat would be a very fair system. It allows people to chat without disturbing other users. While in public spaces it does not hamper communication between all home users since the voice/text playing field is eve, and it allows current moderation to stay in place effectively.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 31 (17 Views)
Fender Bender
2897 posts

Re: My voice chat solution

Apr 6, 2010

Hmmm, I'm intrigued. Although it's 2:50 AM here right now, so I might have to re-read it again once I get some sleep, but I like the idea.

The only thing I'm "iffy" about is regarding spaces where there is no open chat, I can see the pros and cons that would come along with that, but would like to test drive both before coming to a decision. Even though I was in the Private Beta and did enjoy the open voice chat, I do like how you brought up a point that protects users from the "annoyance factor".

I mean, some well designed filters could easily solve this problem, but I do understand that you might miss out on a good conversation in an area if said area is notorious for harrassment and you end up filtering all public chat out.

Nice idea though, I like it.

Message 2 of 31 (17 Views)
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Apr 6, 2010

Thanks.

yeah, it would have to be tested first. My biggest issue with completely open chat is that it tends to isolate a group of people that just don't want to hear everyone. They're stuck as a sort of second class citizen.

As far as public spaces go, with my idea there would be no open voice chat. You could still openly chat among chosen friends, and anyone that wanted to join in could be easily invited. The benefit here though is that everyone knows who can and cannot hear them. It's more of an opt in system rather than one that you have to opt out of.

As I think about it there will be some issues with friends of friends and conversations. Say you and I are friends and we are talking, then someone on your list walks up. That creates a problem because you now have three people, but each of us only have two in the conversation since neither I nor the new guy are on each other's list. Then if one of my friends arrived it compounds further. So there are still issues that need to be noodled out.

Message 3 of 31 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2897 posts

Apr 6, 2010

How about an interface along these lines...

-VOICE CHAT OPTIONS

O PUBLIC

O FRIENDS LIST ONLY

O DISABLE

-PRIVATE CHAT

O CALL A FRIEND

O CONFERENCE CALL

O INVITE

Etc, etc, etc.

Message 4 of 31 (17 Views)
Wastelander
749 posts

Apr 6, 2010

Please bring public voice chat back.  As far as making open mic chat to just one space, i do not like this idea.  Often, i enjoy chat while playing games. I would very much like to shoot pool and have a 6 foot radius where people can hear what im saying or askng.   Another important reason to bring voice chat back is so that  you can tell what kind of mood a person might be in.  Unless, you are psychic,  you have no idea how to tell what kind of person you might be dealing with simply by reading their text.   FOR EXAMPLE  if someone is in a grumpy mood they can simply talk on the mic and say i dont feel like talking and you can actually HEAR THE TONE OF THEIR VOICE.   This will allow you to quickly determine if the user you have encountered is the type of personality or mood that you want to be around.  

Message 5 of 31 (17 Views)
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Apr 6, 2010

NJShadow wrote:

How about an interface along these lines...

-VOICE CHAT OPTIONS

O PUBLIC

O FRIENDS LIST ONLY

O DISABLE

-PRIVATE CHAT

O CALL A FRIEND

O CONFERENCE CALL

O INVITE

Etc, etc, etc.

That is better than full open chat, ut the you are still forcing people to opt out.  You will always have a percentage of people leaving voice chat on, and there will always be a percentage of people that will be abusive with it. That leaves the people bothered by this only two options and gives the people abusing it free reign.  The only way to avoid those people is to opt out of public chat in one of two ways.

This isolates those people and leaves them removed from the rest of the group because of the actions of a few people.

Message 6 of 31 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Apr 6, 2010

MileHigh420360 wrote:

Please bring public voice chat back.  As far as making open mic chat to just one space, i do not like this idea.  Often, i enjoy chat while playing games. I would very much like to shoot pool and have a 6 foot radius where people can hear what im saying or askng.   Another important reason to bring voice chat back is so that  you can tell what kind of mood a person might be in.  Unless, you are psychic,  you have no idea how to tell what kind of person you might be dealing with simply by reading their text.   FOR EXAMPLE  if someone is in a grumpy mood they can simply talk on the mic and say i dont feel like talking and you can actually HEAR THE TONE OF THEIR VOICE.   This will allow you to quickly determine if the user you have encountered is the type of personality or mood that you want to be around.  

Read the full suggestion. You could still do all of this, but you would have to initiate the chat with the folks you want to talk to using the part system i am suggesting. Say you are playig pool. You click three names and hit Chat....they get an invite and get to choose to chat or not.

For the times you just want to chat openly, there would be designated spaces for that.

The bottom line is that there has to be some form f compromise. Full open voice chat will not work. It will ruin home with immature people, verbal attacks, and other abuse.

Message 7 of 31 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Apr 6, 2010

tdarb wrote:

MileHigh420360 wrote:

Read the full suggestion. You could still do all of this, but you would have to initiate the chat with the folks you want to talk to using the part system i am suggesting. Say you are playig pool. You click three names and hit Chat....they get an invite and get to choose to chat or not.

For the times you just want to chat openly, there would be designated spaces for that.

The bottom line is that there has to be some form f compromise. Full open voice chat will not work. It will ruin home with immature people, verbal attacks, and other abuse.

Sounds fair 50 50 for both sides i like ur idea

Message 8 of 31 (17 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Apr 7, 2010

I don't mind the idea, I think its good to go in the suggestions thread

Photobucket

Message 9 of 31 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

May 31, 2010

Voice Chat is never coming back. Sony lied to us...again.

Message 10 of 31 (17 Views)
0 Likes