Treasure Hunter
4509 posts

Re: Mortality in Home....

Oct 3, 2012

Brises_0000 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Brises_0000 wrote:

The main problem I see with your idea is that in a game environment there will always be a choice whether to participate or not. In life, we are not always given that choice.

That is what I am saying though, remove the choice in HOME.  Make it an open environment where things can go "wrong".

Moble

Yeah, I don't think Sony wants to alienate their customer base like that. They want us to continue spending money. People go to home to take a break from the realities of life.

Besides, one quick browse through the PS Home Support forum clearly shows they have enough problems with Home as it is.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 31 of 45 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 3, 2012

jimmynet wrote:

If you want that, go for it........... Pour water on your PS3 and start over, simple as that............ I'm good where I'm at I don't need to add anymore drama in my life than what I have now......... I'm a big boy now.........  One day you'll see that too.......... Smiley Wink

ooooooo.  That burns..... Owe, your words are like acid. That's not very HOME like; now is it?  No cuddles and snuggies?  Fuzzy animal heads and chic clothing as gifts for playing along?

Besides, destruction of actual property seems a bit ridiculous, and childish to me. Nes pa?Smiley Wink

Moble

Message 32 of 45 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

Well, at the least you've come up with an idea that would absolutely make me quit Home forever, which would save me money in the end.

I've had the misfortune of living in war zones where you really are in danger of sudden death. I didn't think it was fun AT ALL, and neither did anyone else. I now live in a place where the risk of that kind of harm is very low, and I actually appreciate that. It seems this is a lesson you have yet to learn. In all honesty, I hope you never do have to learn it from real life.
I have also had people around me die. It's awful. It seems bizarre I would have to actually state that, because it seems so obvious, but I guess when people say video games desensitize people to the harsh realities of death, this is what they mean. Yes, people actually  think death is fun, and a cool challenge. Sigh.

I never play war games and dislike shooting guns in games. As a result, I hardly ever played any video game. But then I discovered Home, and learned to enjoy the social aspects and potential. Who knew just hanging around in a virtual environment would be so awesome? I've purchased many clothes, apartments, companions, and even games. I diligently collect coins and points and rewards. I carefully decorate my lovely estates. Should that ever be threatened, I would be mad, and then likely just walk away from the experience. Just like I was lucky enough to do in real life.

Message 33 of 45 (142 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Oct 3, 2012

sounds like a horrible idea. Smiley Indifferent

Home isnt a FPS, its a 3D social world. theres no need to have people killing eachother.

Message 34 of 45 (132 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 3, 2012

CameraCat wrote:

Well, at the least you've come up with an idea that would absolutely make me quit Home forever, which would save me money in the end.

I've had the misfortune of living in war zones where you really are in danger of sudden death. I didn't think it was fun AT ALL, and neither did anyone else. I now live in a place where the risk of that kind of harm is very low, and I actually appreciate that. It seems this is a lesson you have yet to learn. In all honesty, I hope you never do have to learn it from real life.
I have also had people around me die. It's awful. It seems bizarre I would have to actually state that, because it seems so obvious, but I guess when people say video games desensitizing people to the harsh realities of death, this is what they mean. Yes, people actually  think death is fun, and a cool challenge. Sigh.

I never play war games and dislike shooting guns in games. As a result, I hardly ever played any video game. But then I discovered Home, and learned to enjoy the social aspects and potential. Who knew just hanging around in a virtual environment would be so awesome? I've purchased many clothes, apartments, companions, and even games. I diligently collect coins and points and rewards. I carefully decorate my lovely estates. Should that ever be threatened, I would be mad, and then likely just walk away from the experience. Just like I was lucky enough to do in real life.

The first mistake anyone can ever make is to assume.  It is a mistake to assume I have never lived in harms way, or never had those around be taken from me in tragic or violent situations.  

Seriously, not making light of your life experiences, but.  I too could opine on my life experiences with death and destruction, but I can also recognize the difference between real life and simulated, game situations.  

Death is not glorious in the realm of reality.  It should not be glorified, but in games it is a mechanism of tact and strategy.  A basic game of chess, although masked in ambiguity, comes down to the decimation of the opponent.  Gain and loss is measured in every game.  Some choose to use monetary values, others choose to depict life and death situations.  Games are games, and are made for entertainment and distractions.

I am forever hearing of games being the cause of violence, whether it be in schools, neighborhoods, or wherever.  Knowing what is real, and what is fantasy is a major flaw in psychologically inept people.  Just because someone roams a game map blowing people and their possessions to oblivion, does not mean they would act upon, or even accept that behavior in real life.

Don't assume I have not witnessed atrocities in my life.  Don't assume I am making light of REAL WORLD tragedy.

My thread, although heavily latent with suggestions of armament, was not nearly to destroy HOME.  My suggestions were but one facet of the possibility of MORTALITY IN HOME......  

What if the HOME avatars had the chance of becoming no more?  Would people be so ruined by the loss of their imaginary person, that they would leap from a building?  It is a game.

I at least can accept, that a game can end, with no real harm to myself or others.  I can turn the game off, or go outside and enjoy life.  For those who do not have that in real life, I am eternally sorrowful.  If only we could all live in peace and tranquility.  Playing a game is not a portrayal of what happens in our day to day lives.  It is a GAME.

Lets not pin games, and those who chose to play certain types of games, insensitive to World events.  Let's not go down that road. 

CameraCat, I have the deepest sympathies for your hardships in life, I really do.  Do not assume I make light of your, or anyone's life.  Life, in reality, is the most precious thing in the World.  Yes, some people make light of life and death through some games, but that is not me.  I feel sorry for those people as well.

Life has enough struggles and sorrows, without bogging it down with quibbles over who is the most moral.  Live your life as best you can, and make the real World better with anything you do.  Play a game, and have fun.  Don't think of the real World implications behind them.

My suggestion of "warfare" in HOME, is one that may make HOME more appealing, to more gamers.  HOME would obviously never go with this suggestion, because it would be unpopular.  Mortality though, may be an interesting twist.  No one lives forever, sadly.  Why not introduce that next level of reality to HOME.  Forget the murder/killing/warfare then.  Mortality in general would make users appreciate and value all that they accrue in HOME, even more.

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

Moble

Message 35 of 45 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

If you want that, go for it........... Pour water on your PS3 and start over, simple as that............ I'm good where I'm at I don't need to add anymore drama in my life than what I have now......... I'm a big boy now.........  One day you'll see that too.......... Smiley Wink

ooooooo.  That burns..... Owe, your words are like acid. That's not very HOME like; now is it?  No cuddles and snuggies?  Fuzzy animal heads and chic clothing as gifts for playing along?

Besides, destruction of actual property seems a bit ridiculous, and childish to me. Nes pa?Smiley Wink

Moble

It was supposed to burn like it did to my eyes when I read your thread... Nope, I'm not putting any sugar on this...... I said what I said eat it and weep.....

Destruction of HOME as you suggested seems a bit ridiculous and childish to me... If your suggestion is to turn HOME into GTA, buy and play GTA.... HOME is a Social Media with games... 

Again, GL with your wish, hope it FAILS....

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 36 of 45 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 3, 2012

jimmynet wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

Moble

It was supposed to burn like it did to my eyes when I read your thread... Nope, I'm not putting any sugar on this...... I said what I said eat it and weep.....

Destruction of HOME as you suggested seems a bit ridiculous and childish to me... If your suggestion is to turn HOME into GTA, buy and play GTA.... HOME is a Social Media with games... 

Go buy the SIMS, back at ya kiddo.

Moble

Message 37 of 45 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Oct 3, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

Moble

Moble

he doesn't need to. Home was developed without any PVP or "mortality" factors, so people who want it to be like that already have it. You want something different so go find it. I believe Ultima Online is kinda like that. People can kill you and take your items that you worked hard for, and you loose some skill levels. But you can still re-rezz.

Message 38 of 45 (97 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Brises_0000 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

Moble

Moble

he doesn't need to. Home was developed without any PVP or "mortality" factors, so people who want it to be like that already have it. You want something different so go find it. I believe Ultima Online is kinda like that. People can kill you and take your items that you worked hard for, and you loose some skill levels. But you can still re-rezz.

Yeah, and there is Fall Out as well.

Moble

Message 39 of 45 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Oct 3, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

Moble

Moble

Why would I buy the SIMS, I have HOME, as it is now.........  Thanks for the compliment, not many call me a kid these days.. 

BTW I'm not personally attacking you, It's just mine and obviously others opinions that your idea is just flat out WRONG......  What your suggesting is a game not Social Media as HOME is.... A dog is a dog and a cat is cat.... Two different animals.... See the picture? Smiley Wink

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 40 of 45 (97 Views)
0 Likes