Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Re: Mixed Signals

Jan 17, 2011

I am use to forum change and I know it's never good at first. When I was a Moderator on the GameShark forums our forums were rented from IGN and they eventually changed. Lithium forums were old technology but pretty stable. These Home forums will be better.

There are some great user created forums out there but these are the Official Home forums. I know some have left and some are not coming back. Some will. I can see a bunch are upset but still here. Some lurk waiting for a quick fix and thats all fine. The Home forums are here to stay either way.

The Home team has some work to do and they are working on it. I know this as fact. Personally, I will stay and watch it grow. The same way we have all watched Home grow from the start. I was there, were you?

HomeStationMagazine
Message 11 of 19 (13 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Jersquall wrote:

I am use to forum change and I know it's never good at first. When I was a Moderator on the GameShark forums our forums were rented from IGN and they eventually changed. Lithium forums were old technology but pretty stable. These Home forums will be better.

There are some great user created forums out there but these are the Official Home forums. I know some have left and some are not coming back. Some will. I can see a bunch are upset but still here. Some lurk waiting for a quick fix and thats all fine. The Home forums are here to stay either way.

The Home team has some work to do and they are working on it. I know this as fact. Personally, I will stay and watch it grow. The same way we have all watched Home grow from the start. I was there, were you?

HOMEinformer

That is well and good hun. I don't personally plan on going anywhere but that doesn't excuse the tearing apart of this commuinity by instituting what many feel to be rules that just aren't in the best interest of home and the community in general. It'a an overall perception felt by many including myself.

We had a community. That community doesn't feel AT HOME here anymore. P oo pooing it doesn't make it better. Recognizing the fact that is is happening and perhaps doing something about it might be in order. Sorry but I feel that those who have spent months and years here do count. What they think counts too. I don't want to see them leave. I want to see them stay and be part of what this community should be.

Sure we can hope for the return of A Forum community overtime but at the moment there are more leaving than coming. Hoping for the community to make a comeback sure doesn't make me feel any better when I see a slew of familiar names becoming members at another site on a daily basis because they are UNHAPPY HERE.

That should never have happened and those in charge should think long and hard about WHY IT IS HAPPENING.

Message 12 of 19 (13 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 17, 2011

I agree completely with your position, Joanna, but we both know that there's more to it than who has the free codes. In the grand scheme of things, the question of codes is a very small one.

From what I've been able to gather, Sony found itself in a very bad position with Subway after some users pointed out what was happening during the Fresh Buzz promotion last summer, with people reposting codes and boasting about the number of prizes that they'd won by using them with multiple e-mail accounts. There were a few forum regulars involved in that thread and a lot of less-than-regular users.

There were also problems with people posting limited-redemption codes on the forums, even after Glass and Locust had asked for that to stop. Not to mention the complaints from people who got codes legitimately, only to find out that they'd been used up because someone posted them here.

In short, the "community," or at least part of it, is directly responsible for the no-code rule. It's the right call, for more reasons than I could ever hope to write in a reasonable amount of space.

It's also the least of the problems we have around here. Let's focus on fixing what matters.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 13 of 19 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jan 17, 2011

It's not just the codes. Please don't think that is the only issue that many are taking offense with. I see my friends and I see people I know who have spent plenty of time on this forum leaving on a daily basis and it hurts.

They are leaving for a reason and it isn't just the mechanics of this site or the code issue alone. One needs to seriously question what happened and in my view it isn't all that hard to figure out.

Message 14 of 19 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

It's not just the codes. Please don't think that is the only issue that many are taking offense with. I see my friends and I see people I know who have spent plenty of time on this forum leaving on a daily basis and it hurts.

They are leaving for a reason and it isn't just the mechanics of this site or the code issue alone. One needs to seriously question what happened and in my view it isn't all that hard to figure out.

I was writing another response when I saw this, so I'll just comment here instead. I think it's a triple threat of the new forums being hard to use (thank goodness for BEMO-844's black skin and WoolySpud's navigation widget), the new rules making it impossible for many of the most dedicated forummers to speak freely, and also the new moderation, which many feel is being too strict and unyielding (modding by the book instead of the heart) if not intimidating. So people are leaving.

I feel sad about the state of these forums too. But I'm more concerned with saving what can be saved of the community we once had here.

Message 15 of 19 (13 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28562 posts

Jan 17, 2011

As Home continues to get new users, the forum will gain new members. I certainly invite many people that I meet in Home to come here and share their ideas. Many who truly want to be a part of this community or who want to share will come here. Others won't.

The forums have been changed. In a sense it is going through a birthing and growth process. It is now the time to share our ideas on how to make them relevant to our needs, without all of the baggage that clogs the purpose of the forums: the sharing of information.

So people will leave. That is on them. But we will always get new users to this forum. And we will welcome them, won't we?

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 16 of 19 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2781 posts

Jan 17, 2011

I love Home, I have been part of Home a couple of months after it went Open, and officially became part of the Forums 6 months or so after that. I have seen the community grow, and a spirit that helped and shared the things that Home had to offer.

I remember putting my name down on a list that a user created for those that would like the Mountain Dew Hoodie for those that would be unable to get one for themself.

I remember another Forum member, I had never met him before, kindly give me a code in that without him I would not have been able to get the Mountain Dew Hoodie.

I remember seeing Godspeed hand over several RLS codes, helping the community spirit and bringing the community together.

I remember seeing some of those that really wanted the codes miss out, and I had some spare codes which I offered to them.

I could go on and on, the sharing of Subway codes, the Grand Tourismo codes, the previous Slurpee codes.

But now, I see a community torn apart by drastic change and draconian regulations.

We all remember (or know of) XI. Why was it so good? Part of the reason is because it drew the community together, such that we all worked together for an end result. Friendships were made. How would XI have been if we were not allowed to share codes and help each other out?

I'm not trying to create arguments here, or possibly walk into a ban or suspension of some sorts. I'm just saying how I see things now, and how disapointing it is to see a good community falling apart as it is.

All of us who have posted on this thread (and others) want whats right for Home. We're all wanting Home and these Forums to succeed and flourish, thats why we're posting. I wont be walking away from these Forums, I will continue to try and help anyone that I can help, I just hope we have a community thats able to be helped.

Message 17 of 19 (13 Views)
PlayStation Support
1180 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Thanks for the feedback, all. We realize that there have been many changes to these forums lately, and some of these changes will take some getting used to. There are a number of reasons why we no longer allow codes to be posted, but in any case, the rule is here to stay. If people are visiting the forums for sharing codes only, I think we have a bigger problem with the community.

knowman: I removed the entire thread that was talking about sharing codes, not your signature. If you are still having issues, feel free to PM me for more help.

Locking this thread.

- MV

PlayStation Moderation and Support
Message 18 of 19 (13 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4797 posts

Jan 17, 2011

de

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I think one needs to SERIOUSLY consider where all the forumers have gone? The traffic levels here at the official site are very low. Some of us know that a good number of regulars h ave gone elsewhere. The code rules are simply one reason for that happening. We used to have a community. That spirit sadly left with the old forum.

I personally find it very sad to see the state of the forum at this point in time. One can hope it is only temporary.

Maybe they got banned? I know I have been banned the first time in 5 years of my time of being a member.  I personally feel that the moderation team has and is going to scare a lot of Veterans off this site. So I have myself developed my own blog to discuss anything without the threat of being deleted or locked or whatever. Now I personally don't post constantly. Yet I see that the rules and regulations are going to be strictly monitor, threads locked for no apparent reason. Especially your thread which a week ago disappeared? And no good explanation was really given. And the Moderation team said it wasn't their doing which in my opinion is a total lie. Customers or users don't have the abitity to make a 7,000 post thread disappear?

So I am seeing how strict the mods are going to be  and I witness their decision making skills and personally they can decorated this site with all the new features but I don't feel that this is as friendly or relax anymore. So that is why you see a decline of people posting or being involved. I honestly think the Moderation team need to evaluate their regulations and attitude on what is presented on this site. Now personally I got banned because I called out a mod on their actions. Cause as a longtime user I felt that the decision making was uncalled for. If this is the direction that they want to take this site than yes I think it would be better for other users to find another forum to go to and make posts and threads. I honestly don't care how official this site is, yet I think the attitude has become a No Soup for You thing! I was here during the underground days and I have seen the overall decline of traffic to this site. Personally I wasn't here when they made regulations about talking about other consoles. Which we all know is not permitted on this site. I remember wanting to talk about a game that currently wasn't on the ps3 but then it became on the ps3. Yet I couldn't talk until it got transfer over to the ps3. Whether flame wars or fanboyism become rampant to the point that regulating where you are not suppose to discuss anything became a rule. I just thought it was silly that I couldn't mention it until it got ported over to the ps3.

At the moment I feel like I am stepping on glass; I don't feel comfortable as I did before. I feel like do I really want to post? Let alone post my feelings and my reaction. Will I get banned for this post, I am not sure? Frankly I wouldn't be discussing this but  because the Moderation team have sort of flip the coin or derailed the train off the tracks within a 24 hour period and expect longtime users to get with their program from the initiating of this new site, I am sadly mistaken but that doesn't work!

I hope because of my time here i have had some good conversations and good discussions that I will feel comfortable again to post and be involved. I am also not saying that all the Mods that I have dealt with I have issues with. CardinalRose has been very understanding and nice to me, yet I don't feel that all the Mods are on the same page, so to speak. I think that needs to be work on and it will help with the decline of users on this site. I just think at the moment there is a unbalance!

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 19 of 19 (13 Views)