Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/28/2006
Online
34146 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 19, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

nosdrugis wrote:

Shen182 wrote:
What's a homeling?

Greetings!
We are Homelings®


Who we are | What we do | How to join |


Homelings have been around since the dawn of time (home beta) and have had legions of club members. great group.


i still remember my first encounter with them.

back during the closed beta to the far right side of the giant waterfall the a corner near the question mark poster. quite a frightening experience. Smiley Tongue


Message 151 of 362 (313 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 02/23/2011
Offline
155 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

[ Edited ]
Feb 19, 2013

Is ISE hurting peopel that badly. It is actually hindering your gameplay? Can you not use home if people have ise? These threads are sadly repetative. Smiley Sad

 

Message 152 of 362 (288 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 04/16/2009
Offline
362 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013

mwf77 wrote:

Is ISE hurting peopel that badly. It is actually hindering your gameplay? Can you not use home if people have ise? These threads are sadly repetative. Smiley Sad

 


Not seeing how ISE hurts Home development shows short sightedness, but that is a side effect of a bigger societal problem this country is facing.  Smiley Sad

___________________________________________
Message 153 of 362 (259 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2008
Offline
8666 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013

The_FPS wrote:
Not seeing how ISE hurts Home development shows short sightedness, but that is a side effect of a bigger societal problem this country is facing.  Smiley Sad

Why don't you enlightening the rest of us and post your point of vew on this and tell us how ISE hurts Home.

***********************************
Folding@home Team #118000
***********************************
GAPHome

             

               General

Message 154 of 362 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 04/16/2009
Offline
362 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013
Its been said many times before. Some of these "reward" items are items only attainable or more easily attainable from purchased items. Some are even bought through the use of token systems. Developers that do not make money off these items because they are stolen through a coding workaround are not going to be able to continue to develop for Home. As developers leave the platform will die.

For those that say the problem isn't prevalent enough to make any dent in sales or that this has no moral black or white are not thinking about the small guy developer and are instead just being selfish. It can be compared to those who think littering is okay. "Its just one cig butt it won't hurt anything." But if everyones mentallity was the same it would hurt.

I doubt Home sales are anywhere near what some people assume. If it took the Casino a year to hit 1M unique IDs then there is a lot less than that many people in Home on a regular basis. Most don't spend money and that is okay. But every sale matters and the couple of hundred bucks that a product could have made if it were aquired normaly might save someones job.

The last point would be if every "cool" prize were so easy to get that no Home user had to spend any money to get then we go back the year one. Where just about every reward was a dumb tshirt rehash because there will be zero incentive for developers to make unique rewards.

You might not agree, but in the long term ISE does hurt Home. Especially now when rewards are supplements to paid items which in the early days of Home they were not.
___________________________________________
Message 155 of 362 (225 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Online
4509 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

nosdrugis wrote:

Shen182 wrote:
What's a homeling?

Greetings!
We are Homelings®


Who we are | What we do | How to join |


Homelings have been around since the dawn of time (home beta) and have had legions of club members. great group.


i still remember my first encounter with them.

back during the closed beta to the far right side of the giant waterfall the a corner near the question mark poster. quite a frightening experience. Smiley Tongue


And people lining up to play the Echochrome arcade game in the bowling alley to get the necessary uniform... Was an interesting time in Home for sure (although very little to do). Back then you could spend a couple hours a week and stay caught up with all the latest content and activities.  I wish they would release a collection of retrospective personal spaces, like the original closed beta central plaza.  Loved the city view from that space.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 156 of 362 (220 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 02/11/2013
Offline
392 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013
I just finished work and I'm not sure which one is dumber the fact that one of my staff don't know how to wear deoderant or this thread still bein here
Message 157 of 362 (210 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/04/2011
Offline
1148 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

The_FPS wrote:
Not seeing how ISE hurts Home development shows short sightedness, but that is a side effect of a bigger societal problem this country is facing.  Smiley Sad

Why don't you enlightening the rest of us and post your point of vew on this and tell us how ISE hurts Home.


How does ISE hurt Home ?

A Dev has Labor and other Fixed Costs, along with the hopes of profit,  in developing any new digital product. They don't materialize by magic for free on their 'puters.

 

So, granted a Dev is most likely not going to go bust, from the loss of Revenue from the ISE Thieves; but ...

I can certainly imagine a Dev saying : " SInce an X # of our Product is stolen by the ISE Vultures, we must recoup our margin of profit by raising the initial selling price. "

 

So, ISE Knaves hurt all honest Home Members.

 

"sides, why should honest members of Home, overlook, or condone, theft. That is exactly what ISE is ; a purloining of product without payment, by either honest in game labor or purchase.

 

 

 photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 158 of 362 (195 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2008
Offline
8666 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

Feb 20, 2013

The_FPS wrote:
Its been said many times before. Some of these "reward" items are items only attainable or more easily attainable from purchased items. Some are even bought through the use of token systems. Developers that do not make money off these items because they are stolen through a coding workaround are not going to be able to continue to develop for Home. As developers leave the platform will die.

For those that say the problem isn't prevalent enough to make any dent in sales or that this has no moral black or white are not thinking about the small guy developer and are instead just being selfish. It can be compared to those who think littering is okay. "Its just one cig butt it won't hurt anything." But if everyones mentallity was the same it would hurt.

I doubt Home sales are anywhere near what some people assume. If it took the Casino a year to hit 1M unique IDs then there is a lot less than that many people in Home on a regular basis. Most don't spend money and that is okay. But every sale matters and the couple of hundred bucks that a product could have made if it were aquired normaly might save someones job.

The last point would be if every "cool" prize were so easy to get that no Home user had to spend any money to get then we go back the year one. Where just about every reward was a dumb tshirt rehash because there will be zero incentive for developers to make unique rewards.

You might not agree, but in the long term ISE does hurt Home. Especially now when rewards are supplements to paid items which in the early days of Home they were not.

The only "paid" items in question are the ones from the gift machine.  It makes no sense at all to try to fix the problem by maken a core update that forces us to upload everything we own onto Sonys servers.  It more sense to fix the gift machine or put the paid items on there own server to make them safer.  None of the items from the Home Mall are part of this exploit.

 

As The_FPS pointed out ISE does not hurt Home or any game play in Home.  The only game developers hurt by this are the very few that work on the gift machine.  This in many ways is there own fault by letting the ISE exploit work with the gift machine.  As I pointed out a few times now NO ONE else or no other developers are getting hurt by this.

 

You pointed out the Casino in your post.  Before this past core update I use to go there and play games like texas holdem poker.  After the update that you make sound as if it's going to save Home we started to get disconnect erorrs.  I got DCed about 10 times now from the tables now only once did I get my chips back.  Do you think I'm going to spend real money on more chips knowing about the DC error's?  The answer is NO!!!  I would think Sony is maken less money now from people who think just like I do.

 

As for my last point I would like to make.  Sony has lost our items on us many times now.  We work hard to earn them or win them and we get a core update that deletes them?!?!  I have no problem with people getting these items back by using the ISE exploit.  Or else Sony should of did something to give our items back!

***********************************
Folding@home Team #118000
***********************************
GAPHome

             

               General

Message 159 of 362 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Make them pay!

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

Lil_The_Pill wrote:

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

The_FPS wrote:
Not seeing how ISE hurts Home development shows short sightedness, but that is a side effect of a bigger societal problem this country is facing.  Smiley Sad

Why don't you enlightening the rest of us and post your point of vew on this and tell us how ISE hurts Home.


How does ISE hurt Home ?

A Dev has Labor and other Fixed Costs, along with the hopes of profit,  in developing any new digital product. They don't materialize by magic for free on their 'puters.

 

So, granted a Dev is most likely not going to go bust, from the loss of Revenue from the ISE Thieves; but ...

I can certainly imagine a Dev saying : " SInce an X # of our Product is stolen by the ISE Vultures, we must recoup our margin of profit by raising the initial selling price. "

 

So, ISE Knaves hurt all honest Home Members.

 

"sides, why should honest members of Home, overlook, or condone, theft. That is exactly what ISE is ; a purloining of product without payment, by either honest in game labor or purchase.

 

 


Oh you'll never convince some of that. Remember some do it to help their friends who can't get the rewards all by their lonesome. Nevermind the fact that most likely a 10 or 20 dollar PSN card is needed to get what they would like.

 

Granted it's been a part of Home for years. Will it ever be patched so it can't be done anymore? Who knows. I don't think anyone thought they'd ever patch freezing although one can hope it is in fact permanent. Personally I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that someone is running around with a Hed Kandi dance or LBP Karting Cubcake LMO in North America but to say that those profiting from this are members of Robin Hoods merry band is simply ludicous.

 

They are doing it for money plain and simple for the most part. And those condoning it are simply wrong. Call it like it is hun. You're not alone to think that way. 

Message 160 of 362 (185 Views)