Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Re: Look what I found in Sharper Image.........

Jun 4, 2007
Its not a copyright issue guys, its a trademark issue. They could get into a legal fight if it causes consumer confusion as to the source of the goods.

Didn't anyone else go to law school?  
Duke
Gamertag: Dalai_Llama
XBL:NATO Duke
Message 21 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
600 posts

Jun 4, 2007
I hope Sharper Image or Sony files a lawsuit, because Home might not be coming out if things take effect
Message 22 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Jun 4, 2007

BTips wrote:
I hope Sharper Image or Sony files a lawsuit, because Home might not be coming out if things take effect

Its the logo, not the product that would be subject to the suit. They could make a new logo and release it just the same. (Of course this is just an opinion and not counseling or advising.)

Message Edited by Dalai_Llama on 06-04-2007 12:45 PM
Duke
Gamertag: Dalai_Llama
XBL:NATO Duke
Message 23 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jun 4, 2007
I wonder if it has anything to do with a Sharper Image Space being in HOME? Sony has said time and time again that they want companies to set up spaces inside of home.
100% of people like music, if you're part of the 0% who doesn't... Check yourself...
Message 24 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1341 posts

Jun 4, 2007
Did it ever occur to anyone that Sharper Image may have a section of the store devoted to things to be used "in the home"? As in - little bathtubs to soak your feet in.. or pillows that conform to the shape of your face...

Being a graphic designer, I can tell you there are many differences.

It's purely coincidence that both "logos" use the generic graphical representation of the outline of a generic house. This shape is commonly used among many designs, as it is a simple, to-the-point graphical shape.

You can indeed trademark a shape (ex: Coca Cola Bottle contour), but i'm not sure if the outline itself could be considered trademarkable, as many already use it. The reason that these two designs could be trademarked separately is the subtle difference. The "S" inside the sharper image one gives the impression that the S stands for "Sharper", or "Sharper Image". The "I" of this abbreviation could be found at many different points in this graphic as well.

Also, the complete outline is different. The weight are different. Also, Look at the end points on the left, inside. One drops slightly down, one comes up to form an S.

Lastly, font usage plays a significant role. The font for the SI one looks like helvetica, the PS Home logo is much more rounded.

Long story short - neither would have a case if a suit was brought, due to the mulitple differences between them.
Message 25 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Rux
Treasure Hunter
5135 posts

Jun 5, 2007

default001 wrote:

Shnozzle wrote:

Fur0shus wrote:

Shnozzle wrote:
Are you kidding? Those images are nearly exactly the same. Images that similar can not be a coincedence, and I have a feeling someone infringed a copyright

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW someone gonna get in trouble... i hope its not playstation

Lol, I doubt it would be a big company like Sony. They've been working on Home for a long time, and I have a feeling the Sharper Image icon copied Home's.

Do you sit there all day looking for something similar to what Sony has come up with to criticize them.

BTW, Shnozzle, like my new sig? Smiley Tongue

Yeah, it's cool.

Was that directed towards me, or the creator of the thread?

Message 26 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6915 posts

Jun 5, 2007

Video transfer HELP wrote:
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8023/38347371pa6.jpg

Pretty weird eh? The space under the sign was empty, it defiently doesn't have to do with Sony but that's close to copyright infringement if Sony did infact copyright the Home logo.

Message Edited by Video transfer HELP on 06-03-2007 07:10 AM

Message Edited by Video transfer HELP on 06-03-2007 07:11 AM

Well, i don't see a trademark from the image you provided nor from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. no one is violating any trade marks. In any case I believe sony trademark the home logo not so long ago, which got the internet in an uproar so I don't know. Each Region/Country has different trade mark systems so if sony was violating something they would simply be asked to remove it and make their own or buy the trade mark from the original maker..

<==========+==========>
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people
When you are born, you are crying and everyone around you is smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying.
<==========+==========>

Message 27 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Jun 5, 2007

Shnozzle wrote:

default001 wrote:

Shnozzle wrote:

Fur0shus wrote:

Shnozzle wrote:
Are you kidding? Those images are nearly exactly the same. Images that similar can not be a coincedence, and I have a feeling someone infringed a copyright

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW someone gonna get in trouble... i hope its not playstation

Lol, I doubt it would be a big company like Sony. They've been working on Home for a long time, and I have a feeling the Sharper Image icon copied Home's.

Do you sit there all day looking for something similar to what Sony has come up with to criticize them.

BTW, Shnozzle, like my new sig? Smiley Tongue

Yeah, it's cool.
Was that directed towards me, or the creator of the thread?

No, not at you Shnozzle. The guy who created the thread.
deep, titanic, make the dance panic, one-a-penny, two-a-penny, vibe you can't manage

My Hiscores | infrared Gaming Community
Message 28 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2722 posts

Jun 5, 2007
nan i like the one we have now
PSN : PwnStar12

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 29 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5666 posts

Jun 5, 2007
I have it on good authority that Sharper Image is going to be one of the 'vendors' within Home..... Stay Tuned!!
Message 30 of 32 (13 Views)
0 Likes