PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
1040 posts

Re: Locust_Star: The Magnus_Keynes Pool video is VERY misleading

Feb 12, 2011

Sorry - I simply am not in a position where I could even begin to explain the decisions that LucasArts made when they developed their marketing materials. While we do produce our own content (such as the Mansion, Winter Wonderland, etc.), Home is ultimately a platform, and each publisher is responsible for the content they create (and their marketing). Look at it just like the PS3: Sony makes the console and some games (like Uncharted, God of War, etc.) but the majority of what you'll find on shelves are games made by other companies.

Did you buy the items? Did you use the 3D preview feature that shows how they appear on your avatar before purchasing them?

the_original_se wrote:

Locust_Star wrote:

To be clear, the video does not employ a glitch. Simply put, there is functionality that is associated with being in a developer environment (where the video footage is captured) that is not available in the regular, live environment - including the ability to create NPCs (non-playable characters) and place them at will throughout the scene. In this case, it was something done for comic effect - nothing more, nothing less.

The intention was never to mislead. In fact, the whole purpose of the HCV-guided tours is to give you guys an opportunity to "try before you buy." I sincerely hope you guys can believe me when I say that nobody on the Home team wishes to trick our community members, not even the people on the financial side that one might imagine would experience a short term gain from false advertising. The business people want purchasing customers to continue to buy things - that's the only way a company can stay in business (especially given all the competition for your attention and hard-earned money). And the only way to ensure customer retention is to keep your customers happy and feeling good about supporting your product. This is why their team asked me to post the original message on these forums that provided clarity on the functionality of the different "spaces" that will ultimately make up the Mansion experience. We knew there was potential for confusion and made our best effort to keep you guys in the know. We're truly sorry that this message didn't make it far enough, but in the future the safest bet is to not assume that fundamental changes to the platform (such as the way navigation works between spaces) will change overnight and/or without an announcement from myself or GW. 

That all being said, we have to believe you if you tell us that our marketing was off. Consider it noted, and we promise to be more careful in the future. For now, we really hope that you all enjoy the Mansion Infinity Pool. And, of course, if you do not, then please let us know.

while were on the subject of adressing marketing stuff, care to explain the issue with the Force Unleashed 2 Dual Lightsabers that i brought to you a while ago?

you know, them being shown in a picture on the blog behing held backwards like in the game, but the actual item in Home is held forwards like the rest of the lightsabers.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/27/halloween-festivities-continue-in-playstation-home-with-si...

Ashes... ashes... we all fall down...
Last 6 purchased games.
Message 21 of 34 (37 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Feb 12, 2011

Looking at that LucasArts produced poster on the link Locust_Star provided, seeing the light sabers pointing backwards and seeing large letters stating UNLEASH TRUTH makes me believe someone at LucasArts went to the dark side. Ironic too.

Message 22 of 34 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2961 posts

Feb 12, 2011

Locust_Star wrote:

I sincerely hope you guys can believe me when I say that nobody on the Home team wishes to trick our community members, not even the people on the financial side that one might imagine would experience a short term gain from false advertising. The business people want purchasing customers to continue to buy things - that's the only way a company can stay in business (especially given all the competition for your attention and hard-earned money). And the only way to ensure customer retention is to keep your customers happy and feeling good about supporting your product.

That all being said, we have to believe you if you tell us that our marketing was off. Consider it noted, and we promise to be more careful in the future.

Really 6 months ago when I asked you if a Home item you were selling was a active item. You not only didn't answer my legitimate question. You banned me from posting on the blog. Is that what you consider being honest. Now everything is not clearly marked as active but some things are.

Here is recent item. The dead nation zombie companion. Listed as a life size item. Really life sized? If the description was life like that would have been fine. But it wasn't of course that was from a third party developer. So your not responsible for what they print? You don't check content from these developers. I bought this anyway knowing full well this couldn't be life sized. For me to think it was would have been. Would have been ridiculous on my part.

There is a long history of your team in regards to deceptive advertising here. I'm sure there are many people who would like to point more of these out to you.

I hope so as far as you being more careful in the future. I really hope so...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Message 23 of 34 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
1040 posts

Feb 12, 2011

You are probably not going to believe this, but I don't even have administrative priveleges on the blog. I can't even upload my own posts - I email a word document (that I do write and am accountable for the contents found therein) and whatever pictures and videos have been sent to me by the people that have created the content in question to the Blog team, who uploads it for me and makes sure that it says "posted by Locust_Star" in the byline. When I try to post a comment within 30 seconds of another one, I get the same "slow down - you are posting too fast" message as the rest of you do. No joke.

Point being: I don't know why you were banned. But I do know that I didn't ban you because, even if I wanted to, I don't have the power to. Even if I did have the power to ban, I can assure you that I wouldn't ban you because you asked a question about whether an item was active or not. That's not a violation of the EULA or the PSN ToSUA.

Fun fact: I just recently received the ability to ban people on the forums. Or so they tell me. I don't even know where that option is on my dashboard (I'm still trying to learn my way around the new forums like the rest of you) and probably will never figure it out because we have a Moderation team that handles such things so I don't even worry about it. You don't have to believe me but you'll notice that you can reply to this post. Why? Because even though you may not like me very much, I'd never think of asking someone to ban you. You are welcome to your opinion and are free to express it. And I, personally, am grateful that you use the product I work on.

I don't write item descriptions and I don't proofread them either - it's not really my job to determine how a publisher chooses to describe their intellectual property. But I'm going to start getting involved so that we can hopefully make them more descriptive. As for the Dead Nation companion, I'm in the DN space right now looking at the item description right now. It says that it is a "knee-high zombie companion." Nowhere in the description does it say anything about life-sized. I've included a photo as proof.

Check out the description on the blog that I wrote. I didn't even mention the companion. http://bit.ly/dSQcrb

Dead Nation.jpg

strider367 wrote:

Locust_Star wrote:

I sincerely hope you guys can believe me when I say that nobody on the Home team wishes to trick our community members, not even the people on the financial side that one might imagine would experience a short term gain from false advertising. The business people want purchasing customers to continue to buy things - that's the only way a company can stay in business (especially given all the competition for your attention and hard-earned money). And the only way to ensure customer retention is to keep your customers happy and feeling good about supporting your product.

That all being said, we have to believe you if you tell us that our marketing was off. Consider it noted, and we promise to be more careful in the future.

Really 6 months ago when I asked you if a Home item you were selling was a active item. You not only didn't answer my legitimate question. You banned me from posting on the blog. Is that what you consider being honest. Now everything is not clearly marked as active but some things are.

Here is recent item. The dead nation zombie companion. Listed as a life size item. Really life sized? If the description was life like that would have been fine. But it wasn't of course that was from a third party developer. So your not responsible for what they print? You don't check content from these developers. I bought this anyway knowing full well this couldn't be life sized. For me to think it was would have been. Would have been ridiculous on my part.

There is a long history of your team in regards to deceptive advertising here. I'm sure there are many people who would like to point more of these out to you.

I hope so as far as you being more careful in the future. I really hope so...

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................ What's that smell?
Message 24 of 34 (37 Views)
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Feb 12, 2011

You dont have admin powers on the blog and just now got mod powers on the forums??? Good lord they are keepin you on a tight leash there L_s  0_0

Just kidding, its unforunate to see people always go to the managers as the scapegoat from when some other department is punishing or deals with them.

@Jim777PS
Message 25 of 34 (37 Views)
0 Likes
1040 posts

Feb 12, 2011

It looks pretty ridiculous on the surface, but there is a reason why things are the way they are. The Blog, for instance, is an enormous undertaking - those guys do so much work it is ridiculous. There are so many articles going up on any given day, so many videos being produced, and it all needs to be managed, scheduled, monitored, maintenanced, etc. I have a background in magazine publishing and I can say that their process is just like the process undertaken by your favorite magazines - be it Gamepro, Wired, Popular Tanks, and so on. To give every person that wants to put a post up admin powers would be a recipe for disaster. Frankly, I'm grateful for their help. All I have to do is write the post and answer some comments

As for the forums, as I'm sure you are all aware, an outside company used to manage the forums, including moderation. Recently that has changed, and we've brought MercuryValentine and crew (who handle Moderation in-world as well) onboard in hopes of getting more people from the Home team in front of you, the community. Sadly, GW and I are the entirety of the Home Community team and we have millions of users that we have to monitor and interact with - only a sliver of a percentage of which are on the forums. Our focus is on gathering feedback and working with the developers to make Home as great of a platform as we can, even going so far as to develop our own content (like 4th of July, the E3 Booth, the winter Plaza, etc). Unfortunately, that means we have limited time to post, and we certainly don't have time to moderate. Hopefully we'll get to spend more time here in the not-so-distant future but, in the meantime, we try to be here when we can, and be as open as we can in our communications with you all as we can.

Jim777 wrote:

You dont have admin powers on the blog and just now got mod powers on the forums??? Good lord they are keepin you on a tight leash there L_s  0_0

Just kidding, its unforunate to see people always go to the managers as the scapegoat from when some other department is punishing or deals with them.

Message 26 of 34 (37 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Feb 12, 2011

Jim777 wrote:

Well sadly the forum is not as friendly as it used to be for users. There are many who I spend time with who certainly feel that way these days. These aren't home haters I might add, they love home and spend money not only in North America but in all regions.

There are issues here that need to be discussed in an open forum and the fact that many discussions are locked now when those issues are raised does instill a sense of forboding in users here.

I personally never get anything until I have had a chance to either preview it in a preview window in the mall, of if that is not an option, I am sure to see it first in home before spending money. At the least I will listen to users here to see if there are issues and if they like the item or not.

I do trust that the Home Managers are not trying to mislead anyone when it comes to the sale of items. It is important however that if things are not clearly stated that they be clarified as soon as possible. I am certainly impressed with Locust_Star's comments here and he should be applauded for interacting with the community in this thread in the manner in which he has. Communicating with users is important and is certainly appreciated.

I know many complain about the mansion being misleading and I'm sure for some they find that when they've purchased it that the rooms are in fact not connected when they thought they might be. I would say that that should certainly be clearly defined in the descripion if at all possible to be sure that the user has no excuse given it was clearly stated.

I will also say that when the Mansion was first introduced here on the forum that it was clearly stated that friends would have to leave to go from one room to another and require another invite. Obviously not all Home users use the forum so advertizements and item descriptions are certainly important. The fact that users could preview the spaces in advance is also new and should be encouraged for not just the mansion but for other spaces.

Perhaps a way of visiting a private space as a sort of preview directly from the mall might be a way for users to preview a space before buying it. A method that wouldn't even require the need for an HCV to be there. After all who buys a house in real life before seeing it in person.

Message 27 of 34 (37 Views)
Wastelander
621 posts

Feb 12, 2011

Locust_Star wrote:

To be clear, the video does not employ a glitch. Simply put, there is functionality that is associated with being in a developer environment (where the video footage is captured) that is not available in the regular, live environment - including the ability to create NPCs (non-playable characters) and place them at will throughout the scene. In this case, it was something done for comic effect - nothing more, nothing less.

The intention was never to mislead. In fact, the whole purpose of the HCV-guided tours is to give you guys an opportunity to "try before you buy." I sincerely hope you guys can believe me when I say that nobody on the Home team wishes to trick our community members, not even the people on the financial side that one might imagine would experience a short term gain from false advertising. The business people want purchasing customers to continue to buy things - that's the only way a company can stay in business (especially given all the competition for your attention and hard-earned money). And the only way to ensure customer retention is to keep your customers happy and feeling good about supporting your product. This is why their team asked me to post the original message on these forums that provided clarity on the functionality of the different "spaces" that will ultimately make up the Mansion experience. We knew there was potential for confusion and made our best effort to keep you guys in the know. We're truly sorry that this message didn't make it far enough, but in the future the safest bet is to not assume that fundamental changes to the platform (such as the way navigation works between spaces) will change overnight and/or without an announcement from myself or GW. 

That all being said, we have to believe you if you tell us that our marketing was off. Consider it noted, and we promise to be more careful in the future. For now, we really hope that you all enjoy the Mansion Infinity Pool. And, of course, if you do not, then please let us know.

superlatives wrote:

Yo Kane (AND Roaring):

It's interesting that a promo video employs a glitch (which SUPPOSEDLY SCEA frowns upon) to sell something.

But as I said before, I CAN and DO sing the praises of Home, fully admitting the shortcomings. It's sad that SCEA can't be as "loyal", without misleading.

Locust:

Thanks for the reply - and as I said in the OP, I ASSUMED the shot was for comic relief. I DID NOT think SCEA was trying to "trick" us into thinking that Mansion spaces were interconnected ... though I hope you understand why SEEING that shot made me think that SOMEHOW, it was possible with the Mansion spaces.

FYI, while I believe you that the video was shot using a dev environment, I should tell you that the IDENTICAL effect CAN be achieved with a glitch in the LIVE environment (which is why I commented on that shot being a glitch). PM if you're unaware how it's done -- I don't want to share glitch info publicly (and FYI I HATE glitching!)

Locust, right now you've been forthright AND specific with the info -- and we all appreciate that. Your reply to me here, AND to my thread about the EA Poker situation, bear that out! However, I have to say that oftentimes, we're forced to "read between the lines".

Despite the gifts and the full furnishings of the spaces, the Mansion spaces were presented to us as a PREMIUM space environment. While many of us KNOW that individual personal spaces involve the normal Home transition ... when spaces are presented as "First Floor" vs. "Garage" vs. "Pool", LOGICALLY we think that we can access individual Mansion spaces without a transition ... and CERTAINLY invited guests don't have to go back home to Harbor just to climb one flight of stairs!

Of course, MAYBE my mistake was thinking that Home is a "logical place"! :-)

Seriously -- even now there's a real-world situation where we (or at least *I*) are being forced to read between the lines.

As I said I've been an active proponent of Home (flaws and strengths together), and I've tried to help new users feel comfortable and enjoy the place. Because of that, I've been wanting to apply as an HCV.

Today I see a post saying the FAQs for the HCV program have been updated. After reading the new FAQs, I posted the following response : http://community.us.playstation.com/message/30938566#30938566

Is there a reason why specific changes can't be spelled out? Are terms gone? Are HCVs now appointed to work for terms comparable to the President of Egypt? The way the FAQs are written, it IMPLIES (there's that word again) that IF want to apply, I'd be forced to check every day. While I enjoy Home and want others to enjoy it too, the UNspecific nature of what's going on makes the application process too cumbersome to make it worth anyone's while. OTOH, MAYBE that's the intent.

But again -- specifics "before the fact" would do A LOT to make the situation better.

Regardless Locust ... again I DO appreciate your SPECIFIC input now, and your responsiveness!

Message 28 of 34 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
410 posts

Feb 12, 2011

hyperkane wrote:

Yeah. I just saw the video. It's very unfortunate that they used a glitch in a promotional video of the Mansion. I visited a friend's Mansion this morning and the doors opened for me and I stood inside the opened doors. I imagine my friend saw me standing behind closed doors when she said, "How'd you do that?" and then she proceded to join me booting us both from the pool area. IDK? I don't like any of the rewards either. I'm losing interest and that could be a good thing. 

I dont think its a glitch. Just something that the devs found that was funny. Shows different doors on each screen, We recreated the same scenerio that you see in the vid just by ZombieLover23 standing in there as I walked away the doors shut.

http://i56.tinypic.com/1rrplh.jpg

Misleading of course from someones perspective who does NOT go to the forums. Just a simple non hardcore home user that does not have all the resources we have is getting burned. ($25) I wish Sony would push the boundaries soon and merge these apartments somehow,.. It is such a tease looking inside to my mansion. knowing that I cant walk inside without reloading and reinviting guests.

Roaring_Twenties Trophy Card
Message 29 of 34 (37 Views)
Sackboy
432 posts

Feb 12, 2011

I'm loving L_S' posts in this thread. Informative & hilarious

Message 30 of 34 (37 Views)