Reply
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/18/2011
Offline
780 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

I know this seems selfish, but I don't care. People love exclusive items, and people like to feel special.


Really? Crying because other people are getting something that you already received for free?  Not something you earned, mind you.  Just something that fell into your virtual lap from the luck of the draw.

 

Consider yourself special for receiving the beta invite and getting to try the game before most of the Home community.

 

We can agree on one thing.  You do sound selfish.  Suck it up.


And what about the people that begged for the portal to come to then?

 

So it's okay for people to ask for the portal to come out for everyone, even though non beta testers don't have to replay the game nor help in the overall product, but it's not okay for us to ask them to keep it exclusive?


At least they had the decency not to act like brats about it in public.

 


Melpoe wrote:

I never stated I earned my way into the beta, but testers did do a fine job at reporting serious issues to lockwood.

 


Do you honestly believe this?

 

There were people in the beta more concerned about nonexistent NDA violations than doing what they were supposed to: bug tracking. If enough people had complained, Lockwood would have delayed Mercia's release to fix its technical flaws.

 

It would seem very few people using Plastation Home have ever participated in a proper beta test.

 


Melpoe wrote:

And after all that, we get our levels taken away (which were not given, we earned). Jersquall  pointed out as to why our levels were removed, and I understand that. But, again, beta testers should receive something for it.

 


Welcome to beta testing. Character data gets wiped. You are not entitled to freebies just for having a pulse.


True, but you'd think as a host, lockwood would give us something. Y'know, for helping them with their final product?

 

I know the world isn't perfect, so that's why I am asking them to keep it an exclusive.

 

Message 121 of 345 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/15/2010
Offline
2651 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

Melpoe wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

And so what if your bloody levels were taken away?

 

You were invited to the beta in order to help Lockwood test the game.  Not so that you could get a head start on everyone else and complete your levels.  You received the portal to get you into the game before the space was released.  Not to have an exclusive item to make you feel "special".

 


That's your retort? That's it? Yeah, I guess you couldn't come up with anything better for our levels being taken away, except for "so?".

 

 

I believe we're done here.

 


I believe that my retort was a little more than "so" but you chose to ignore it.

 

I haven't a heard a single reason why anybody should be upset to have had their levels "taken away".  You were not invited to the beta testing to complete your levels.  You volunteered your service to help Lockwood test the game.  Nothing was taken away from you.  You tested the game for a while.  Lockwood reset the game.  Then you tested it a little longer.  That's what you signed up for.

castle3
Message 122 of 345 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/17/2011
Offline
1157 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2012

Melpoe wrote:

True, but you'd think as a host, lockwood would give us something. Y'know, for helping them with their final product?

 

I know the world isn't perfect, so that's why I am asking them to keep it an exclusive.

 


 

No, I wouldn't think that, because I've been developing and beta testing software since it came on floppy disks.

 

Entitled people like yourself are ruining the industry. You're a taker, not a gamer.

 

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 123 of 345 (191 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 07/28/2009
Offline
609 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

nagon111 wrote:
Whatever that happens during testing isn't guaranteed and developers have every right to do whatever they want during that time.

 

That is exactly the kinda stuff were fed when something bad happens to the majority on home. Its funny to see the reaction now that its happened to the other side of the fence.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 124 of 345 (185 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/18/2011
Offline
780 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

No, I wouldn't think that, because I've been developing and beta testing software since it came on floppy disks.

 

Entitled people like yourself are ruining the industry. You're a taker, not a gamer.

 


And what about the people who say it should be free? Aren't they entitled as well, expecting something like that to arrive?

 

 

Again, it is a double edge sword. You have every right to say I am going too far because I made this thread, but don't forget about people who want it to come out, who weren't apart of the beta.

 

Message 125 of 345 (179 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 10/31/2011
Offline
940 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

Melpoe wrote:

StardustChampion wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

I know this seems selfish, but I don't care. People love exclusive items, and people like to feel special.


Really? Crying because other people are getting something that you already received for free?  Not something you earned, mind you.  Just something that fell into your virtual lap from the luck of the draw.

 

Consider yourself special for receiving the beta invite and getting to try the game before most of the Home community.

 

We can agree on one thing.  You do sound selfish.  Suck it up.


And what about the people that begged for the portal to come to then?

 

So it's okay for people to ask for the portal to come out for everyone, even though non beta testers don't have to replay the game nor help in the overall product, but it's not okay for us to ask them to keep it exclusive?


At least they had the decency not to act like brats about it in public.

 


Melpoe wrote:

I never stated I earned my way into the beta, but testers did do a fine job at reporting serious issues to lockwood.

 


Do you honestly believe this?

 

There were people in the beta more concerned about nonexistent NDA violations than doing what they were supposed to: bug tracking. If enough people had complained, Lockwood would have delayed Mercia's release to fix its technical flaws.

 

It would seem very few people using Plastation Home have ever participated in a proper beta test.

 


Melpoe wrote:

And after all that, we get our levels taken away (which were not given, we earned). Jersquall  pointed out as to why our levels were removed, and I understand that. But, again, beta testers should receive something for it.

 


Welcome to beta testing. Character data gets wiped. You are not entitled to freebies just for having a pulse.


True, but you'd think as a host, lockwood would give us something. Y'know, for helping them with their final product?

 

I know the world isn't perfect, so that's why I am asking them to keep it an exclusive.

 


Makes me wonder on how effective these beta tests are considering people's interest seems to be more towards getting "exclusive reward" rather than actually test it out to make it a better product.

Message 126 of 345 (192 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/18/2011
Offline
780 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

asfghjklEU wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

StardustChampion wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

I know this seems selfish, but I don't care. People love exclusive items, and people like to feel special.


Really? Crying because other people are getting something that you already received for free?  Not something you earned, mind you.  Just something that fell into your virtual lap from the luck of the draw.

 

Consider yourself special for receiving the beta invite and getting to try the game before most of the Home community.

 

We can agree on one thing.  You do sound selfish.  Suck it up.


And what about the people that begged for the portal to come to then?

 

So it's okay for people to ask for the portal to come out for everyone, even though non beta testers don't have to replay the game nor help in the overall product, but it's not okay for us to ask them to keep it exclusive?


At least they had the decency not to act like brats about it in public.

 


Melpoe wrote:

I never stated I earned my way into the beta, but testers did do a fine job at reporting serious issues to lockwood.

 


Do you honestly believe this?

 

There were people in the beta more concerned about nonexistent NDA violations than doing what they were supposed to: bug tracking. If enough people had complained, Lockwood would have delayed Mercia's release to fix its technical flaws.

 

It would seem very few people using Plastation Home have ever participated in a proper beta test.

 


Melpoe wrote:

And after all that, we get our levels taken away (which were not given, we earned). Jersquall  pointed out as to why our levels were removed, and I understand that. But, again, beta testers should receive something for it.

 


Welcome to beta testing. Character data gets wiped. You are not entitled to freebies just for having a pulse.


True, but you'd think as a host, lockwood would give us something. Y'know, for helping them with their final product?

 

I know the world isn't perfect, so that's why I am asking them to keep it an exclusive.

 


Makes me wonder on how effective these beta tests are considering people's interest seems to be more towards getting "exclusive reward" rather than actually test it out to make it a better product.


For me, it irritated me the most  that my levels were reset. So having the portal to fall back on was nice.

 

Message 127 of 345 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/15/2010
Offline
2651 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

ck2875 wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I am also quite disappointed by this development, and I agree with Melpoe in his OP. 


This attitude coming from an HCV?  Someone who is supposed to have the community's best interest at heart?  


I am entitled to have personal opinions. I was not mean, nor hateful, but only disappointed in the decision. If I did not care about this community, I would not have spent many hours writing a guide for Mercia.

 

 


Nothing personal, CK.  You seem like a stand-up member and I have nothing against the HCV's.

 

It's just disappointing to hear someone who took a position to serve the community side with the rubbish in this thread.  Is that what Home is all about these days?  Depriving the community at large so that a select lucky few get to feel special?

 

I wasn't aware that people accepted beta invites to feel special about themselves for receiving some stupid portal.  I thought that beta testing was more about service to the developers for the betterment of Home, not about privilege, bragging rights and selfishness.

castle3
Message 128 of 345 (175 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/15/2010
Offline
2651 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

Melpoe wrote:

For me, it irritated me the most  that my levels were reset. So having the portal to fall back on was nice.


And you still have not answered my question as to why this is the case.

 

You were not invited to the beta test to complete levels for a head start on the community.  You were there to test the game.  You should not be irritated to have your levels reset any more than the inevitable glitches that come with beta testing.

castle3
Message 129 of 345 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 08/15/2007
Offline
16565 posts
 

Re: Lockwood, please don't give out the portals.

Sep 13, 2012

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I am also quite disappointed by this development, and I agree with Melpoe in his OP. 


This attitude coming from an HCV?  Someone who is supposed to have the community's best interest at heart?  


I am entitled to have personal opinions. I was not mean, nor hateful, but only disappointed in the decision. If I did not care about this community, I would not have spent many hours writing a guide for Mercia.

 

 


Nothing personal, CK.  You seem like a stand-up member and I have nothing against the HCV's.

 

It's just disappointing to hear someone who took a position to serve the community side with the rubbish in this thread.  Is that what Home is all about these days?  Depriving the community at large so that a select lucky few get to feel special?

 

I wasn't aware that people accepted beta invites to feel special about themselves for receiving some stupid portal.  I thought that beta testing was more about service to the developers for the betterment of Home, not about privilege, bragging rights and selfishness.


HCV are Home members formost. If you're going to judge, judge him on HIS decision not the HCV program where he has been nothing but a pro. He deserves that right. HCV nitpicking is an old argument.

 

HomeStationMagazine
Message 130 of 345 (160 Views)