Jul 16 2013
By: ThrenodyT Sackboy 436 posts

Letting them down easy?

15 replies 380 views Edited Jul 16, 2013
I ran into someone in the park and we exchanged a few words and then Friend Requests. Next thing I know I am getting bombarded with invite requests (like one every couple of minutes) and one line messages from someone who was obviously waaaay younger than I am. I feel kind of bad because the guy was obviously friendly (never got threatening, just was very demanding and time consuming) and looking for online buddies. Long story short, I unfriended him after a long few hours of messages since he couldn't seem to get the idea that I was busy doing my own thing or with other people.

I just feel kind of bad now, because I think I probably hurt his feelings when he realized I cut him loose. Smiley Sad has anyone else run into this? I am still having problems finding "real" friends myself, not just people looking to rape my personal spaces for rewards, guys who demand photos and voice chat, or people trying to sell me "extra" PS accounts, so it's hard not to take a chance on someone who gives a good first impression. Do I avoid all friend requests until further chatting is had or get a thicker skin when it comes to axing people from my friends list?
Message 1 of 16 (380 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Re: Letting them down easy?

Jul 16, 2013
Hmm a hard choice to say. Each of us would handle the scenario differently I think, but here check this thread out for a similar topic.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/I-kinda-need-advice-please/td-p/40920349

Support Forums
Message 2 of 16 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
436 posts

Jul 16, 2013
This is a good thread! I am sure glad I deleted him quickly after reading that - I was hiding my members only clubhouse in hopes he would take that hint. I even gave him a good 24 hours to get the message but nothing changed. Thank you!
Message 3 of 16 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Jul 16, 2013
No problem I assume every situation/ and person is different but that was such a similar topic I thought you may appreciate seeing peoples opinions on the matter. Remember, no matter what choice you make its not wrong. I remember a good comment from that thread was something similar to 'if this person is making you feel awkward or ruining your enjoyment of home, you really shouldnt feel too bad getting rid of em' (paraphrase).

Home should be fun above all else. Dont let others stress you y'know?
Support Forums
Message 4 of 16 (345 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Jul 16, 2013

ThrenodyT wrote:
I ran into someone in the park and we exchanged a few words and then Friend Requests. Next thing I know I am getting bombarded with invite requests (like one every couple of minutes) and one line messages from someone who was obviously waaaay younger than I am. I feel kind of bad because the guy was obviously friendly (never got threatening, just was very demanding and time consuming) and looking for online buddies. Long story short, I unfriended him after a long few hours of messages since he couldn't seem to get the idea that I was busy doing my own thing or with other people.

I just feel kind of bad now, because I think I probably hurt his feelings when he realized I cut him loose. Smiley Sad has anyone else run into this? I am still having problems finding "real" friends myself, not just people looking to rape my personal spaces for rewards, guys who demand photos and voice chat, or people trying to sell me "extra" PS accounts, so it's hard not to take a chance on someone who gives a good first impression. Do I avoid all friend requests until further chatting is had or get a thicker skin when it comes to axing people from my friends list?

Well hang around. Read, post and attend community events, impromptu flash mobs and stupid contest all presented here in the Home forums section. You will also meet friends playing your favorite Home games. It sometimes takes a while.  Welcome.  Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 16 (290 Views)
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2013

I've deleted girls off of my FL if I thought they looked fat/overweight/unattractive in their photos or if I thought their pictures were fake (e.g: showing a picture of Susan Coffey as if it were their own)

Message 6 of 16 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Jul 16, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

I've deleted girls off of my FL if I thought they looked fat/overweight/unattractive in their photos or if I thought their pictures were fake (e.g: showing a picture of Susan Coffey as if it were their own)

So did you ask for the guys photos?

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 7 of 16 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Jul 16, 2013

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

LightningEmotion wrote:

So did you ask for the guys photos?

I was just giving an example of more shallow reasons to delete someone than the ones the OP listed. Not whom I ask for photos, "smart"-guy.

Message 8 of 16 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jul 16, 2013

This is the second thread I have seen about this kind of thing, and, one thing that we have to consider is the lack of socialization apparent in the individuals that persist with invites and greetings after the tiniest bit of acknowledgement.

When I am on Home, the first thing I do is go to public places where people I know may be.  If no joy, I take in a game, then I go back to my space, and usually invite a few people (I'll admit it, I just got the home theater house, and I want to share it).  If no one responds, I don;t just keep hitting the invite button - I do something else.

How do I know how to do this?  I'm 36.  Most of these culprits are likely very young people, that simply do not know better.

How do we "let them down easy"?  All you can do is attempt to impart the knowledge that this kind of behavior is neither desirable or polite.  If they persist, you block and move on.  If an adult engages in such behavior, you follow the same steps, and possibly report them, based on the severity of the potential harassment.

Everyone wants to be accepted, and, because we understand that, we feel empathy for those that are reaching out to us.  However, the people we meet on Home are not our responsibility.  I go to Home to have a casual chat, play a few games, maybe listen to a tune or two, and watch the occasional movie, all while my avatar wears a Godzilla suit. It's supposed to be fun.  Simple as that.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 9 of 16 (196 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I sometimes wish, like in some games, there was a " room" on home where new players could be taught how to act  when  they first come on to home, then be put in an enclosed area where they have to " level up" to get to the real home. This would include all those with " 420" " swag" and " playa" in their name, the beggers and those who send one 19 or more invites in a minuteo_O. There are a  lot of young people though, who really just want to hang out, they don't think that sending so many invites or requests is rude. I tell people constantly, if they keep it up I will put them in my block list( and I do for a while). I also made accounts so I can do things" alone",lol

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 10 of 16 (158 Views)