Apr 10 2007
By: GregS~ First Son 13 posts

Jekyll and Hyding on PS Home

4 replies 23 views Edited Apr 10, 2007

This is my first post here, so I apologise beforehand if it covers something already discussed here or appears off-topic.

One thing I would very much like to see in PS Home is a Jekyll and Hyde feature.

That is at least two Avatars with separate addresses and identities available to members of Home, even if a second apartment may need to be purchased to complete the twining of identities.

Message 1 of 5 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8593 posts

Re: Jekyll and Hyding on PS Home

Apr 10, 2007
just create 2 psn accounts and u can have your 2 characters
ssdsct5
Thanks to WWE_JohnCenaLuvar for the sig
Message 2 of 5 (23 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Apr 10, 2007
I was hoping for a simple cure like that.

I didn't know what the identities would be based on.
Message 3 of 5 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Rux
Treasure Hunter
5135 posts

Apr 10, 2007
Yes, creating 2 accounts seems like the only way to get around it...
I mean, you can change clothes, rearrange furniture, and make new friends if you want a lifestyle different from your normal avatar, but it seems like a whole new account is needed for a whole new person

Message 4 of 5 (23 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Apr 11, 2007
Shnozzle
 Thanks, a better option would be a sub-personality, inherenting some features but not others from the first spawn.

The reason for this, was having gone to Second Life in order to test out some ideas about PS Home,  I waqs struck by a simple psychological nature of how people composed their avatars - especially the more sexual aspects.

I am no prude, but it immediately seemed that two aspects of avatars as expressions of different aspects of self divide and should be seamlessly integrated.

The first is myself, as I am, 50 years old, grey, bearded, pot bellied, with a tenency to plain clothing and general untidiness. This is me and I am proud of the effects of age, weathering and dishevelled appearance for in some important respects I am the accumulation of this.

In relating to people through avatars, for 99% of my time, beng myself is important and the closest I can make this be myself, the easier it will be to interact with others.

The fact I use a pocket watch and a fountain pen in real life, wear light framed glasses are details I woul like to include, when I meet friends, I want them to met me, not a ghost that sounds like me, but someone they already know.

Then there is the other side of life, the ID side, the Hyde, who likes some childish games, poor films, conversing with lovely looking women and generally being badly behaved, the me that was when I was twenty and that has not gone away with the passing. The days when I had a neat beard, taught muslces and rampant sexual appetite.  It is also the me that likes wit, filfy puns, general silliness and wild adventures.

Blend these to together and PS Home and the idea of avatar transcends merely fanatsy and more closely resembles living people - the influence of Freud in this should be obvious, I believe there is a theraptic side to this and likely to improve interactions within PS Home.

It should be remembered that Jekyll and Hyde were the same people, but enetered the house through a back and a front door and divided it in two. The image of this translation between two different worlds in the same place is something that could be included - Hyde had a secondary place of course - his room in Soho, for which he paid rent.

I hope the developers are listening, the subpersonality is likely to be emabarrassing, I for instance will be I/4 inch taller, much younger, tidy and athletic (memory does distort!). I would be well dressed, but in a Victorian sense which has always appealed to me but that I never had the courage to indulge. In short, nothing that I would like others, that actually know me, stumble across - my inner personality, the "not me" that is also "me".

In Second Life where this is also possible in creating different accounts, does this badly because it is a non-integrated feature. The result is that the avatars rarely resemble antyhing like real people, and the inner being is only being expressed. It is very difficult for instance to locate someone with a similar interest in serious things if they appear as a fairy floating several metres above my head. The avatar is really important, and integrating a twinning between the two aspects of life is more important than it would first appear.

Message Edited by GregS on 04-11-2007 03:02 AM
Message 5 of 5 (23 Views)
0 Likes