Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Re: It's Been More Than A Couple Weeks (BLOG)

Jan 31, 2013

@Original Poster

why did you make a new account to post that, if you don't mind me asking?

Message 11 of 22 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 31, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

i havent checked the blog update since the switch. i just go on Home now and read the message of the day and check the new stuff in the store section in the navigator.

also to add that most of the 3rd party Home content for the week is posted here prior to the update by regular users or in some cases, by the own devs of the content. the blog update has become obsolete.

It has been my experience that the message of the day is often not updated at once following an update. I also go and do some window shopping, but at times the organization there is a bit hard to navigate.

It's nice of others to post the 3rd party content prior to the blog, but in the end we still don't have "one place" to read it all until the blog is published. What we are left with is rather a "search and find" of picking out the new content threads. Even then, we aren't sure if the items will even release for our region and we are left to speculate over much of it. I don't believe that this is better than receiving the info in advance and having to live with the fact that some things may get pushed back.

Message 12 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 31, 2013

If you look at this practically, it's probably neither here nor there for the intended audience.

We, incidentally, are not the intended audience, because we tend to know more about what's happening in Home than the developers at times. We'll find out what's in an update within minutes of Home going live by looking at the forums and developer sites. The blog doesn't need to reach us.

So who does it need to reach? The more casual Home user who logs on during the weekends. Moving to Wednesday might be a better move for them, if it provides a higher level of accuracy about what's available. That hasn't been the case yet, which is the only meaningful criticism I can level at this point. Things still get announced a week early, things that are released don't always make it to the blog.

It's likely better to have a late release that provides accurate information to those who don't rush into Home in a buying frenzy every Wednesday morning than to have an early release that's inaccurate for everyone.

That said, it would be nice to get some early updates here in the forums through official developer and management sources, rather than the cut and paste from users. A few devs are quite good at that...Hellfire and Digital Leisure immediately come to mind.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 13 of 22 (190 Views)
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 31, 2013

heres an idea why not do what sometimes happens in japan and update home every 2 weeks instead of one  since the people who use this forum are so obsessed with what items events are happening there this could be 1 more thing to bring over for the japan obsessed dorks that use this board

Message 14 of 22 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Feb 1, 2013

@LightningEmotion: Why didn't you make a different account to post that?Robot winkCat HappyWoman Tongue

HearItWow wrote:

If you look at this practically, it's probably neither here nor there for the intended audience.

We, incidentally, are not the intended audience, because we tend to know more about what's happening in Home than the developers at times. We'll find out what's in an update within minutes of Home going live by looking at the forums and developer sites. The blog doesn't need to reach us.

So who does it need to reach? The more casual Home user who logs on during the weekends. Moving to Wednesday might be a better move for them, if it provides a higher level of accuracy about what's available. That hasn't been the case yet, which is the only meaningful criticism I can level at this point. Things still get announced a week early, things that are released don't always make it to the blog.

It's likely better to have a late release that provides accurate information to those who don't rush into Home in a buying frenzy every Wednesday morning than to have an early release that's inaccurate for everyone.

That said, it would be nice to get some early updates here in the forums through official developer and management sources, rather than the cut and paste from users. A few devs are quite good at that...Hellfire and Digital Leisure immediately come to mind.

I don't agree with the notion that the blog is intended mainly for the casual user. I believe back when there was actual game-related content that yes, the idea of luring a fan of a popular gaming franchise to come check out Home was a possibilty and in fact an actual goal. These days, most of the content produced has a distinct market in mind. Is the casual user going to see new Granzella Succubus Wing LMO items and say

"Holy crap, I gotta get back in Home and check them out! They're just what I was always waiting for!".

Probably not. I imagine they just shake their heads at most of the Home blog posts (if they do in fact even read them) and wonder what is wrong with us.

If the aim isn't primarily to keep their core user-base happy, it should be. As it is, this new blog release schedule is a bit like getting the weather forecast the day after it happened. Yes, it's that useful and effective.

Message 15 of 22 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4700 posts

Feb 1, 2013

MRswaghappy wrote:

heres an idea why not do what sometimes happens in japan and update home every 2 weeks instead of one  since the people who use this forum are so obsessed with what items events are happening there this could be 1 more thing to bring over for the japan obsessed dorks that use this board

Interesting proposition. Lol

Message 16 of 22 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Feb 1, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Since the Wednesday blog posts have been about as innacurate as the Monday or Tuesday blogs it isn't working. They might as well go back to Monday posts.

Message 17 of 22 (141 Views)
Fender Bender
2695 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Except for an occasional glance I haven't read the Blog since the change in format a long while back (or so it seems). Don't matter to me.

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 18 of 22 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Pain_iz_Pleazure wrote:

When the original move to Wednesdays was made with the Home content on the blog,

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/NEW-CONTENT-Diesel-Museum-and-Gallery/m-p/39...

GlassWalls implored:

Give it a couple weeks, and I think you'll actually appreciate it once the dust settles. Would you mind withholding judgement till then for me? :smileyhappy:

It's been just over 3 weeks since that announcement and thus far I don't see much in the way of appreciation for this move. I find it unlikely that a change will ever be made, but seeing that GW did make an out of character update/info thread yesterday ([NEW CONTENT] Diesel Museum and Gallery). I have to wonder why the blog info for Home can't remain being posted prior to the update with such info threads being made as needed.

I think we all understand that sometimes planned content doesn't make the cut for whatever reason (the new slots this week for example) but I would think that the vast majority would appreciate a heads up in advance despite the occasional miscommunication. Even though there are people who will carry on to no end because the newest Granzella space, or a long awaited LMO didn't get released as planned, many more of us would be happy to receive this news as we once did.

As usual Sony is taken a big step backward in doing this.  If anything they should update us on Home on Monday or Thursday right after Wednesday's update.  But this time here I feel that Sony is going to start loseing money when less people know about there updates so at some point Sony will be forced to move it to another day. 

It's sad that we still have Fanboys/girls defending yet another bad move that Sony has made.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 19 of 22 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Feb 1, 2013

julie_love wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

Since the Wednesday blog posts have been about as innacurate as the Monday or Tuesday blogs it isn't working. They might as well go back to Monday posts.

I agree, Julie. If the blog's going to be late, it should be accurate. If the new Digital Leisure slot machine doesn't upload because of a technical issue, that's one thing. That happens. When half of the promoted content isn't available? That's not good. Someone knows what's going live on Wednesday. Tell Glass.

Even better: Post the blog update AFTER Home goes live and someone's had a chance to see what's there.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 20 of 22 (76 Views)
0 Likes