I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Re: Is it time for Home to grow up a bit?

Aug 6, 2012

No.

Message 61 of 82 (386 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4072 posts

Aug 6, 2012

the_original_se wrote:

HalfManHalfNerd wrote:

julie_love wrote:

I agree, Microsoft got started by looking at what other produced and improving on it. Sony has been very innovative over the years,

Lets see what came first... marked in yellow.

Home = SecondLife

PS controller = SNES Controller

Dual Shock = N64 Rumble Pack and Thumb Stick Controller

Six Axis and Move = Nintendo Wii

Trophies = Xbox Acheivements

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale = Super Smash Bros

Playstaion Plus = XBOX Live

Yellow Light of Death = Red Rings of Death

Home is nothing like Second Life. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. They have similar features but operate different from each other. SecondLife has been around a long time, and it would be naive to think Sony did not pinch some ideas off of this platform.

PS controller is nothing like the SNES Controller. Actually you'll find the button layout on the original PS1 controllers as well as the color scheme is uncannily similar to the SNES controller. Sony were once partrnererd with Nintendo to work on a 32-bit CD based system for the SNES as an add-on (like the 64DD) but due to irreconcilable differences they parted ways with Sony taking the disc tech, and the Sony gaming revolution began.

DualShock and the N64 Rumble Pak came out at the same time. The Ultra64 controller came first, Sony's none rumble feature Analogue controller came 2nd, the Rumble Pak 3rd, the DualShock 4th. There were a few months between the last two.

motion controll existed way before the Wii. For sure but you can't deny how much the software line-up for both MS and Sony was modelled off of the Wii's starting line-up. In addition to the Move being a controller relying on a sensor much like the Wii does. The Move is the better technology, mind you.

cant argue about Trophies *nods* yep.

cant argue about PS All-Stars *nods* yep again.

PS+ is premium PSN, Xbox Live is necessary to play online. not the same. Yeah, in this context they are incomparible.

your last comparison is stupid. I wholeheartedly agree!!

I will say that the marketting is all back to front with Sony and has been for some time. I would argue that the purchase of women items doesn't mean women are the untapped market per se, but rather males and females alike that like to play as women are defintely being ignored on the social gaming side of things. Sony has dabbled with more "unisex" games here and there so to speak in Home but never really unleashed their full potential with them. Journey springs to mind. The space with that mini game was great yet they pulled the plug on it fast. We are finally seeing a lot of things now like Blueprint for the more creative Homies.

As far as fashion goes, there's plenty of it. That department has definitely not been overlooked.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 62 of 82 (369 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Aug 6, 2012

Well written Julie

Let's hope that the powers that be will read this and take heed.

JPConway

Message 63 of 82 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
63 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 6, 2012

julie_love wrote:

The continued decline of Sony has been bothering me for a long time now and I'm really concerned about the future of Playstation and Home. 

The biggest problem I see is the Home marketing team's seemingly total focus on yadda yadda yadda...

Charts, graphs, and other supporting evidencez...

Is this Playstation Home or a feminist activist movement?

home must've attracted you to its game, so I don't see what the problem is here missy. Smiley Frustrated

"Decline of Home?"

Hm. You sure seem to be keeping the electricity on at Home. I don't blame anys of yous. Gotta look stellar for those weekly "unWelcoming" events where you gang up on ppl in ugly outfits and label thems as trolls. Not nice Smiley Sad

Nice to see you got some "likes" there from loads of "fans". They probably all read it and saiz, "Wow, that was well versed essay of horse manure. Lemme give her post the thumbs up."

See you on Home! Where none of dis crap even matterz to any of you Smiley Happy

(Jus' watch where you go errybodies. Never know if der is a 13 year-old with hax that could fweeze ya)

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"Happy, happy, birthday! Don't let the name fool ya!"

Message 64 of 82 (325 Views)
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Aug 6, 2012

EdwCarnby wrote:

I will say that the marketting is all back to front with Sony and has been for some time. I would argue that the purchase of women items doesn't mean women are the untapped market per se, but rather males and females alike that like to play as women are defintely being ignored on the social gaming side of things. Sony has dabbled with more "unisex" games here and there so to speak in Home but never really unleashed their full potential with them. Journey springs to mind. The space with that mini game was great yet they pulled the plug on it fast. We are finally seeing a lot of things now like Blueprint for the more creative Homies.

As far as fashion goes, there's plenty of it. That department has definitely not been overlooked.

I agree with most of this, but the examples you gave were created by other developers who seem to be more aware of the untapped potential of Home.

Message 65 of 82 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
817 posts

Aug 6, 2012

This is ridiculous. People will complain about anything these days. You don't like teenagers on PS Home? Then don't use it. Yeah, most of them act like goofs, but they have every right to be there as much as you. How do you expect 13 year olds to act? Tip their hat and say howdy ma'am? Of course they're going to act out, that's what teenagers do. Maybe you shouldn't be on a Network with teens if you hate them so much.

As for the other parts of your thread, I don't care to comment on.

Message 66 of 82 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
281 posts

Aug 8, 2012

On what facts do you base the statement that women are the most important group of online gamers?Certainly not the numbers you posted as they only compare women over 18yrs of age to men 17yrs and younger.Maybe men over the age of 17 are a larger group?I agree that there are too many underage boys(and girls) on Home,I also agree that women,generally,have a harder time on Home with harassment and that there really aren't enough 18yr and older females on Home but there is no way I could agree that any 1 demographic is more "important" than any other.Even if you're only talking about financial importance I believe(and I'd really like to see some official numbers from Sony about this)that men over 17yrs old outspend women,simply because we(meaning males over 17) out-number women over 18 on Home.

Vae Victis
Message 67 of 82 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Aug 8, 2012

I got most of the information from the ESA report (Sony is a member). I read that women play more online games than men. Men are the largest demographic of console gamers.

Online games include Facebook, phone based games etc.

Message 68 of 82 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Aug 8, 2012
lol at people who think Achievements were the first reward system in video games.
Message 69 of 82 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Aug 8, 2012

CTHULU93 wrote:

On what facts do you base the statement that women are the most important group of online gamers?Certainly not the numbers you posted as they only compare women over 18yrs of age to men 17yrs and younger.Maybe men over the age of 17 are a larger group?I agree that there are too many underage boys(and girls) on Home,I also agree that women,generally,have a harder time on Home with harassment and that there really aren't enough 18yr and older females on Home but there is no way I could agree that any 1 demographic is more "important" than any other.Even if you're only talking about financial importance I believe(and I'd really like to see some official numbers from Sony about this)that men over 17yrs old outspend women,simply because we(meaning males over 17) out-number women over 18 on Home.

It may be beside the point though what the exact statistics are. I don't think anyone would disagree that women are more attracted to social games and enjoy playing online games. If the statistic I heard that 85% of registered users of Home are male it seems like a no-brainer to me that they start targetting more marketing towards women.

Message 70 of 82 (99 Views)
0 Likes