Reply
Survivor
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
1979 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

Apr 6, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Enistachia wrote:

I did find it a bit unsettling but understandable as to why the wardrobe and inventory items are space locked.  I understand so that you can have the full Pottermore expierence without anything muckking it up, like a giant robot or dancing hot dog.  I was looking forward to it until I saw just how much of home they have taken away form the space.  I am sure other spaces are the same way but I am just not sure how big of a Potter fan you have to be to feel comfortable in this new space.  I like that my pink hair gets to  stay, that is a plus!!  I look forward to seeing how this plays out.  I know that Home segregation has been happening for a long time, with fams such, so my subject is just for shock and awe baby!

 

Love Yous!!


I can understand and shear the concerns of the OP,  to bad most of the other members don't.


Upon returning to Pottermore, I have also began the account on the website.  I have some cards waiting for me.  XD  I did notice that users are already getting around the wardrobe restrictions some how.  It is a very different space and have really been enjoying it.  Its a part of life and I am doing what I can to fit in.  

Message 81 of 97 (370 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/29/2011
Offline
1633 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:
I can understand the concern of the OP, too. But I can also understand the concern of the Pottermore Team.

How can you understand the concern of the Pottermore Team when they have yet to make any statement about their concerns or even their intentions regarding the restrictions in the Pottermore spaces?   If they have made such a statement, by all means share it with us.  Otherwise all you are doing is assuming you know what their intentions and concerns are.


It's most likely because of the gradual over-sexualization of Home. It's impossible to ignore at least some degree of it. I can only assume its partly do to with clothing items like Go-Go Girls or whatever..

 

I guess Pottermore is a child-orientated gateway into PS Home. The official reasoning behind the limitations into Pottermore is because it wants to be an "immersive experience"?

 

.. Uh no?

 

Its most likely because if a Harry Potter-loving child uses PS Home out of curiousity, the first thing he sees shouldn't be a half-naked gogo dancer.

 

I think Sony is realizing that Home has gotten too perverted and adult-orientated and they have to make an attempt to disguise it somehow. If anything, Sony can now use this pottermore area as excuse to still claim PS Home is a family-friendly atmosphere.

 

 EDIT: Also  the fact there is no PMs in pottermore leads me to believe it was intentionally designed that way to make it less likely for users to harass one another; especially considering the people using Pottermore will probably be young children

Message 82 of 97 (359 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Offline
4495 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

Which is also what I assume, but that's all it is, just an assumption, as no one from Sony or Pottermore has made any official comment about it.

 

Not only that, but this still does not explain why you can't send private, group, or club messages to people who are NOT in the Pottermore space... And frankly it s a very weak argument that limiting chat to just local in any way "protects" children... And the fact remains that the Pottermore spaces do not have a lower age limit than any where else in Home (with the possible exception of the Community Theater which used to have a 18+ age limit and may still have one), nor does it prevent "children" from venturing to other spaces.  

 

It is just another example where someone in charge did not stop to think about the alternatives and the impact their decision would have.  Yet the perception of some people is that every decision Sony has made for Home was the right decision, and the only issues with Home are in the minds of those complaining about them, and that the only solution is to quit Home.  It's reasoning like this that is likely one of the causes Home is struggling to keep an audience.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 83 of 97 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 01/28/2012
Online
11127 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

Apr 6, 2013

Enistachia wrote:
I know that Home segregation has been happening for a long time, with fams such, so my subject is just for shock and awe baby!

 


I'm shocked and awed by the fact you don't know what segregation means...Smiley Surprised

 

Definition of SEGREGATION

1
: the act or process of segregating : the state of being segregated
2
a : the separation or isolation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area, by barriers to social intercourse, by separate educational facilities, or by other discriminatory means
 
b : the separation for special treatment or observation of individuals or items from a larger group <segregation of gifted children into accelerated classes>
3
: the separation of allelic genes that occurs typically during meiosis
_____________________________________________________________
 
Definition of SEGREGATED
1
a : set apart or separated from others of the same kind or group <a segregatedaccount in a bank>
 
b : divided in facilities or administered separately for members of different groups or races <segregatededucation>
 
c : restricted to members of one group or one race by a policy of segregation <segregated schools>
2
: practicing or maintaining segregation especially of races <segregated states>
Message 84 of 97 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/29/2011
Offline
1633 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

Enistachia wrote:
I know that Home segregation has been happening for a long time, with fams such, so my subject is just for shock and awe baby!

 


I'm shocked and awed by the fact you don't know what segregation means...Smiley Surprised

 

Definition of SEGREGATION

1
: the act or process of segregating : the state of being segregated
2
a : the separation or isolation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area, by barriers to social intercourse, by separate educational facilities, or by other discriminatory means
 
b : the separation for special treatment or observation of individuals or items from a larger group <segregation of gifted children into accelerated classes>
3
: the separation of allelic genes that occurs typically during meiosis
_____________________________________________________________
 
Definition of SEGREGATED
1
a : set apart or separated from others of the same kind or group <a segregatedaccount in a bank>
 
b : divided in facilities or administered separately for members of different groups or races <segregatededucation>
 
c : restricted to members of one group or one race by a policy of segregation <segregated schools>
2
: practicing or maintaining segregation especially of races <segregated states>

Sperging.

Message 85 of 97 (310 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 02/15/2003
Online
28241 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

Apr 7, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:
If they have made such a statement, by all means share it with us.  Otherwise all you are doing is assuming you know what their intentions and concerns are.

You want proof? You can't handle the proof!

 

Seriously, if you (or anyone) cannot figure that out...

 

Ten-four, Eleanore. Over and out.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 86 of 97 (299 Views)
Highlighted
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2012
Online
2937 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

Apr 7, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:
If they have made such a statement, by all means share it with us.  Otherwise all you are doing is assuming you know what their intentions and concerns are.

You want proof? You can't handle the proof!

 

Seriously, if you (or anyone) cannot figure that out...

 

Ten-four, Eleanore. Over and out.


Again I agree with D-Nitrate. I see nothing wrong with thinking that an official statement should made when our means of communication are restricted. You are making assumptions, Conrad_Max ,that you cannot back up. Try admitting it -- or at least, backing off -- when you are wrong. I realize the first suggestion would be time consuming for you.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 87 of 97 (283 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/17/2013
Offline
3 posts
 

Re: Is Pottermore the beginning of Home Segregation?

Apr 17, 2013

All I know is that many Playstation Home users who are huge Potter fans are EXTREMELY unhappy about the patch - once again taking away are freedom on home. People who have supported home for many years with their time and MONEY should be able to use the items they have purchased wherever they like! If home thinks an item is unappropriate for ANY space - It shoud not have been sold in the first place eh? Also, In the films & books - the students of Hogwarts are not forced to wear a certain attire at Diagon Alley or on the Hogwarts Express - we shouldn't be either! It's unfair of Pottermore & PSH to restrict us. I understand they want the spaces theme to be kept - but most people dont abuse the glitch. We use them to be ourself with our suitable items - whilst still maintaining the theme. If absolutely neccessary - make it where you must where pottermore outfits, tops, and pants - however hair, head, hand, face, accessories, and inventory items should be free to use as we please! I personally have a broom I like to use & I like wearing hair I payed for instead of terrible default hair. Again, not only have we payed for the use of these items but many fit Pottermore; brooms, wands, gloves, auras, etc. Pottermore doesnt provide a big enough range of things to let us maintain the theme and be our unique selves. Some people have wands - and it doesnt seem like Ollivanders will be open anytime soon seeing as how the option to select on it is no longer even there. Brooms are not available to buy there. Even if they were - pets are 4 dollars so there is no idea how much brooms, wands, and other things would be. Most of us already have a cat, owl, broom, HAIR, and even wands we already payed for that we are pefectly happy with and FIT THE POTTERMORE EXPERIENCE! Not to mention - were not so outrageously priced! We never should have had to glitch in the first place. The spaces should have been created a bit more reasonable at the very least. The restrictions are too much. It makes the entire experience MUCH LESS ENJOYABLE! Not only for myself but many other long term home users. Many of which also have complaints about errors in some of the tops, and are planning to put a complete hault in their spending on PSH in general until such things are taken care of. Others are so upset by the restrictions in Pottermore (a place they have always been such huge fans of) they no longer want to play it at ALL! It really does suck! Pottermore has so much potential but is being held back. If these things were fixed - it would very well be the best thing to come out of home in a very long time!

Message 88 of 97 (240 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/17/2013
Offline
3 posts
 

Re: Pottermore is Great! except....

Apr 17, 2013

All I know is that many Playstation Home users who are huge Potter fans are EXTREMELY unhappy about the patch - once again taking away are freedom on home. People who have supported home for many years with their time and MONEY should be able to use the items they have purchased wherever they like! If home thinks an item is unappropriate for ANY space - It shoud not have been sold in the first place eh? Also, In the films & books - the students of Hogwarts are not forced to wear a certain attire at Diagon Alley or on the Hogwarts Express - we shouldn't be either! It's unfair of Pottermore & PSH to restrict us. I understand they want the spaces theme to be kept - but most people dont abuse the glitch. We use them to be ourself with our suitable items - whilst still maintaining the theme. If absolutely neccessary - make it where you must where pottermore outfits, tops, and pants - however hair, head, hand, face, accessories, and inventory items should be free to use as we please! I personally have a broom I like to use & I like wearing hair I payed for instead of terrible default hair. Again, not only have we payed for the use of these items but many fit Pottermore; brooms, wands, gloves, auras, etc. Pottermore doesnt provide a big enough range of things to let us maintain the theme and be our unique selves. Some people have wands - and it doesnt seem like Ollivanders will be open anytime soon seeing as how the option to select on it is no longer even there. Brooms are not available to buy there. Even if they were - pets are 4 dollars so there is no idea how much brooms, wands, and other things would be. Most of us already have a cat, owl, broom, HAIR, and even wands we already payed for that we are pefectly happy with and FIT THE POTTERMORE EXPERIENCE! Not to mention - were not so outrageously priced! We never should have had to glitch in the first place. The spaces should have been created a bit more reasonable at the very least. The restrictions are too much. It makes the entire experience MUCH LESS ENJOYABLE! Not only for myself but many other long term home users. Many of which also have complaints about errors in some of the tops, and are planning to put a complete hault in their spending on PSH in general until such things are taken care of. Others are so upset by the restrictions in Pottermore (a place they have always been such huge fans of) they no longer want to play it at ALL! It really does suck! Pottermore has so much potential but is being held back. If these things were fixed - it would very well be the best thing to come out of home in a very long time!

Message 89 of 97 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/15/2011
Offline
5826 posts
 

Re: Pottermore is Great! except....

Apr 17, 2013

466b79823bb3905c87d115ea6ec37bbb.jpgWoman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 90 of 97 (243 Views)