Jul 22 2011
By: Malice_Mizer Uncharted Territory 1491 posts

Irem withdrawing majority of its support from PlayStation Home

77 replies 467 views Edited Jul 22, 2011

Oh wow. This... this looks bad. <- Link!

EDIT: There's some good news in this involving Granzella courtesy of Locust_Star! Read about it -> here <-

EDIT 2: After some translations of Irem's press announcement came in, it seems two of their recent spaces will remain live in Japan. "GINDAMA Humane Shopping Street" and "Irem Dokisui Lounge - Japanese School"

EDIT 3: Some even more good news about Granzella as they officially confirm their overseas plans, as mentioned here

EDIT 4: Locust_Star confirms that Irem items purchased will not be removed from your inventory -> here <-

http://i.imgur.com/8oQs6.jpg

Act soon if you want to download Irem games from PlayStation Store. The troubled publisher announced today that on August 11, it will pull the following product from the shop:

• R-Type Tactics (PSP)
  • Mousukesu based on Carton-kun (PSP)
  • Bumpy Trott Beagle Battle Tournament (PSP)
  • Ikuze! Gensan Yuyake Daikou Monogatari (PSP)
  • R-Type Tactics II Operation Bitter Chocolate (PSP)
  • Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Ran (PSP)
  • Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Dairan (PSP)
  • Narisokonai Eiyuutan: Story of the Sun and Moon (PSP)
  • R-Types (Game Archives)
  • R-Type Delta (Game Archives)
  • Gussun Paradise (Game Archives)
  • Irem Arcade Classics (Game Archives)

All demos, download content, videos and custom themes relating to these games will also be pulled from PSN on the same day.

On PlayStation Home, Irem will close all its lounges on September 1. The company has nine lounged covering everything from Doki Doki Suikoden to Spelunker. Item sales at the Doki Doki Suikoden lounge will cease on 8/11.

Irem did not say why it's taking these steps.

The announcement only mentions PlayStation Home Japan, but this is absolutely terrifying.

If Irem is under such dire straits that they have to fully withdraw all PlayStation Home support in their home country where they have their largest amount of support, just where does this leave North American and European Home users? There are so many questions that could be asked about this: how will this affect the rest of Home? Will there be any company around to take Irem's place for hardcore major Home content development? What does this mean for all our Home items? There's just so much out in the open now with little to go on.

To me, this is almost as bad as when we lost EA Sports Complex. Irem was ridiculously generous with reward content and put so much effort into PlayStation Home support for their various games, such as Spelunker and Pachipara, not to mention the brilliance of things such as their April Fools Day jokes in Japan Home. The writing on the wall had been evident for quite some time for Irem, having lost their major multi-million dollar PS3 game "Disaster Report 4" due to the Tohoku Earthquake which led into cuts and cancellations left and right from them not to mention resignations from their staff members.

It looks like it's time to say goodbye to Irem.

Message 55 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1254 posts

Re: Irem withdrawing all support from PlayStation Home/PSN

Jul 22, 2011

I just died on the inside....

Message 1 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Man, i'm sure a lot of people will be upset to hear this bad news. I will miss the Irem beach for sure.

Message 2 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4902 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Terrible news. I hope we get the the caves for the Spelunker space soon so we don't miss out on the rewards at least

Message 3 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Jul 22, 2011

For you old-school gamers, Irem brought you Moon Patrol and Kung-Fu Master.  This is a sad day for gaming.

Kazuma Kujo, the man that was known as one the current creative driving forces of Irem, left and has formed his own company, "Granzella".  You may have heard that this company has opened a new space in the Japan server...and it's a beach!

img_07.jpg

So, if we lose the Irem beach, which it's looking like we could...we've got to get this.  Also, I'd say there's a pretty good chance all those Irem clothes are going to become unavalable soon, so stock up on bathingsuits and kimonos if you've been putting it off.

Message 4 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
1040 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to clarify a few things for you regarding the Irem content in SCEJ PlayStation Home and how that affects you as members of the SCEA PlayStation Home community:

While SCE operates the PlayStation Home platform (and SCEA, SCEE, SCEJ, and SCEAsia operates regional businesses on top of the platform) our 3rd Party partners determine what content they produce and how long their content is made available on the platform. The following Irem spaces are currently available in SCEA: Seaside of Memories, Irem Square, and the Gathering Place for Spelunkers.  We are currently investigating the situation regarding the IREM content in SCEA PlayStation Home, and will keep everyone posted as we learn more.

A group of ex-Irem employees have formed a new game company called Granzella. Granzella is currently developing new content for SCEA PlayStation Home and they’ve included some screenshots on their webpage as a preview of content that is currently in development. Needless to say, we are very excited about this partnership and look forward to new content from the team responsible for some of the most popular spaces and items in SCEA PlayStation Home.

We will continue to provide you with updates regarding any 3rd party content that is published in SCEA PlayStation Home via these forums, the SCEA PlayStation Blog, Message of the Day, and other official SCEA PlayStation channels.

Best,

L_S

Message 5 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2961 posts

Jul 22, 2011

This will be a very sad day for home when they are gone...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Message 6 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1491 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Locust_Star wrote:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to clarify a few things for you regarding the Irem content in SCEJ PlayStation Home and how that affects you as members of the SCEA PlayStation Home community:

While SCE operates the PlayStation Home platform (and SCEA, SCEE, SCEJ, and SCEAsia operates regional businesses on top of the platform) our 3rd Party partners determine what content they produce and how long their content is made available on the platform. The following Irem spaces are currently available in SCEA: Seaside of Memories, Irem Square, and the Gathering Place for Spelunkers.  We are currently investigating the situation regarding the IREM content in SCEA PlayStation Home, and will keep everyone posted as we learn more.

A group of ex-Irem employees have formed a new game company called Granzella. Granzella is currently developing new content for SCEA PlayStation Home and they’ve included some screenshots on their webpage as a preview of content that is currently in development. Needless to say, we are very excited about this partnership and look forward to new content from the team responsible for some of the most popular spaces and items in SCEA PlayStation Home.

We will continue to provide you with updates regarding any 3rd party content that is published in SCEA PlayStation Home via these forums, the SCEA PlayStation Blog, Message of the Day, and other official SCEA PlayStation channels.

Best,

L_S

Wow! Now this is what I call a prompt and courteous reply! I'm happy to see that we got an official word at such an hour.

It's very reassuring to know that SCEA is on the ball with this in terms of investigating this matter, not to mention how fantastic it is to hear that Irem's spiritual successor Granzella is currently developing content for North American PlayStation Home! Talk about closing a door but opening up a window.

Message 7 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Jul 22, 2011

And, you know...if we do end up losing the Irem spaces...well, that means we're kinda obligated to throw one heck of a community event in them.

We should also think about doing something special for Irem.  You know, for being there for us.

Message 8 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
588 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Sad day for Irem but look at it this way.....

Irem will just be gone in name, the talent from will still be around to develope content and it seems like they are commited to NA. I just see this as a "old" company dying, and being "reborn" as a new and improved developer . Who knows, they maybe be able to get the rights to the Irem spaces and re-release them updated. I've seen a video of that Granzella space and it looks very good, I'm confident Irem will still be around, just not in name.

Message 9 of 78 (467 Views)
0 Likes