Oct 14 2013
By: Regine__ Wastelander 412 posts

Inventory: How to sort your (favorite) items in the default, Sort by 'none' section.

[ Edited ]
15 replies 724 views Edited Oct 14, 2013

Hi,

I would like to share a trick to sort your items to how YOU would like it in the Inventory when you open it.

By default the Inventory opens with a 'Sort by none' selection. When you have a lot of items marked as a favorite, it will still NOT sort the items how you would like it to, which can be a hassle, as you still have to scroll each time that you want to use your items.

New items at first will show up on top with a star, but when you want to use them for a second time, they sometimes are moved all the way down the list. You then have to select 'Newest First' to bring them up again.

Here's how you can sort the items of your liking to how YOU want them to be sorted out, without for you to have to select a sortation.

It's easy, first place all the items in storage, and after that close the Inventory. Then open the Inventory again and select those items that you want to appear on the top of the list first one by one "on the front", and mark them as a favorite. You have to keep in mind that you can do this with only ONE item at the time, or else it will still sort it like "it" wants to.

It seems that you can have as many as 50 different items on your person, or on the front.

When you're done sorting out your items, close the Inventory again. You'll then notice that every time that you open the Inventory, the items appear in that order on the list exactly the way you sorted them the last time. It isn't much, but for me personally, it's a nice little way to access my (favorite) items a little more conveniently. Smiley Happy

I hope it works for you. It does for me. Smiley Happy

Edit: This trick also seem to work in the wardrobe for each section. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 16 (724 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Inventory: How to sort your (favorite) items in the default, Sort by 'none' section.

Oct 14, 2013

One has to wonder if they'll ever fix the diaster of wardrobe and inventory. Simple search features would help a lot although allowing us the freedom to put what we want where would be something most here would simply love.

Buying content each week with no simple way to access what you buy is simply unacceptable. Many of us with large wardrobes are about to give up and I know my spending has come to a snails pace given i don't want to have to deal with it anymore.

The Lost Arc of the Covenant would be easier to find if they continue to do nothing about it. 

Message 2 of 16 (719 Views)
Wastelander
412 posts

Re: Inventory: How to sort your (favorite) items in the default, Sort by 'none' section.

Oct 14, 2013

In response to Joanna_Dark_;

lol, I know right?

What they odd to do is implement a 'Shortcut system', so we don't HAVE to access any list anymore. It would be much better if we could Type our items. Type the name of a dance, it starts dancing, type the name of a bicycle, it start riding, type the name of a pair of wings, it starts flying...etc. Like that no more list would be necessary.

It would be the same as on a computer. Imagine that you had to go through those millions of files, just to watch a movie. (0_0)  

Message 3 of 16 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Oct 14, 2013

Oddly enough Regine in Final Fantasy you can type /dance in the text box and your av will dance. /happy, /bow, /congratulate and so on. You can't access wardrobe that way but being able to do that with lmo's and companions would be awesome. I hate looking for an lmo and then having to load it so I can do 3 moves and then having to load another one. 

We need a search at the least. Any large inventory system has it on the net. Homes seems to have been created with a 1 year life cycle in mind or one where they really didn't expect people to buy things. 

Message 4 of 16 (700 Views)
Wastelander
412 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

Wow, that's amazing. That's exactly what I would like with Home. That way you would have much better access to your items, and it would also be good for sales, as you wouldn't had to worry anymore about having to many.

Personally, I DO think that it could work for the wardrobe, if the item clothes would 'react' to the typing when typing the name. I think that everyone hates having to go through that wardrobe, as slow as it can be, nowadays.

It would be so great when you could simply type the name of a jacket, and it would appear on your Avi in real time.

That way people can play it more accurately. Going into a building, type a T-shirt, a T-shirt appears on your Avi. Leaving the building, type a jacket, and a jacket appears. Simple as that. Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 16 (696 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5755 posts

Oct 14, 2013

More tips:

• It may seem obvious, but if you don't use clothing of a particular gender, put it all in storage! Don't forget to repeat this every time you get clothing rewards or buy a bundle that includes both male and female clothing.
  • For categories which you don't own a ton of items, put all those in storage too. It's much easier to go to storage and sort through 40 pairs of masks and glasses than it is to sort through a thousand torso items to find that ONE shirt you're looking for.
  • Use your "Favorite" slots not for the oldest or newest items, but the ones in between. If you've been on Home for 5 years like some of us have, it's really a pain to find an item from 3 years ago, because whether you sort them by oldest or newest, those stubborn items are still right there in the middle...unless you use your "Favorite" slots on them instead of your actual favorites.
  • If you know you're at maximum capacity, put some items in storage *before* you go on a shopping spree or reward quest, that way you don't have to dig the good stuff back out afterwards.
  • Since there are absolutely no sorting options for hairstyles, include each of your favorite hairstyles in at least 1 saved avatar slot, that way you only have to scroll through 24 (or 48, for PS+ members) tiles and can skip the awful default hairstyles.
  • Ladies, if you have few favorite makeup looks(daytime casual, glam, smokey eyes, goth, etc), dedicate a few save slots to those too!
  • If some of your favorite accessories (like masks or glasses that your nose sticks through) require facial adjustments, use 1 save slot for that too.

Message 6 of 16 (661 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5960 posts

Oct 14, 2013

I think if the inventory items didn't load so slowly, but loaded instantaneously that would definitely make it more user friendly.

Would also be great if we could put those inventory items we no longer use in a separate storage area that we didn't have to access while browsing are regular used inventory items.

90% of my inventory I keep in storage. I only keep enough items I regularly access to fill each page so when I click onto that page all my items are displayed without having to scroll the page.

If I add an item to a page then one is removed so the amount is never increased. It's not perfect, but what is. That seems to work best for me.Woman Happy 

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 7 of 16 (639 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4499 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

Regine__ wrote:

It's easy, first place all the items in storage

That's the biggest problem with this technique, as some storage folders are so filled, it would take several minutes PER item to go and try and find them in the right order, exit storage, tag as favorite and rinse and repeat.  The process would take me hours for just one category - and some categories I wouldn't even try to do it with - like Torso and Ornaments.

Item Management is a disaster, and it has been for years, and yet not a single Sony rep ever even acknowledges this issues.  It's possibly the biggest failure in Sony's management of Home, as it not only has created a great deal of anger among their customers, has likely caused some to finally get fed up with it and quit Home, and certainly has motivated even their most loyal customers to not buy as many items as they would if it were not for the fact that items they still want to use are being forced into storage with items they rarely if ever use.

Heck, they do not even have a sort by Last Used option, or a filter by Reward or Purchased for Portables (companions/LMOs).

It's a cluster bomb that Sony has so far totally ignored.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 8 of 16 (570 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 15, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

Regine__ wrote:

It's easy, first place all the items in storage

That's the biggest problem with this technique, as some storage folders are so filled, it would take several minutes PER item to go and try and find them in the right order, exit storage, tag as favorite and rinse and repeat.  The process would take me hours for just one category - and some categories I wouldn't even try to do it with - like Torso and Ornaments.

Item Management is a disaster, and it has been for years, and yet not a single Sony rep ever even acknowledges this issues.  It's possibly the biggest failure in Sony's management of Home, as it not only has created a great deal of anger among their customers, has likely caused some to finally get fed up with it and quit Home, and certainly has motivated even their most loyal customers to not buy as many items as they would if it were not for the fact that items they still want to use are being forced into storage with items they rarely if ever use.

Heck, they do not even have a sort by Last Used option, or a filter by Reward or Purchased for Portables (companions/LMOs).

It's a cluster bomb that Sony has so far totally ignored.

Bingo. My buying is coming to a crawl. I'm finding it really hard to get excited about new stuff nowadays given sorting and finding what you've already purchased is such a chore. It's just not worth it. 

One can Dream although given the limbo that Home is now in relative to it's future one has to wonder if this will ever get fixed. 

Message 9 of 16 (557 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4692 posts

Oct 15, 2013
Agreed. I have a LOT of trouble with purchasing LMOs these days.
Message 10 of 16 (538 Views)