Survivor
2284 posts

Re: Ideas & Tips For Your Own PlayStation®Home Machinima!

Apr 22, 2013

Great work with the Juggernaut Observer Camera, Jo!

Here's a little quick guide for cameras, Alex:

Personal Spaces and Club rooms: (not including yourself in the picture)

1.  Juggernaut Observer

2.  Loot Telescope Camera

3.  other Loot cameras

Personal Spaces and Club rooms:  (including yourself in the picture)

1.  Hauppauge PVR

Public Spaces:

1.  Hauppauge PVR

Editing:

1.  Sony VideoVeags Platinum software for computer

2.  MovieMaker or iMovie (comes included in your PC and iMac)

3.  Loot editing inside the PS3

4.  YouTube editor

To use the more sophisticated special effects software, you will need an iMac or a PC.

Note:  this list is in my personal order of preference.  IMHO, you will have difficulty doing all the things you want to do in film in Home until you have all of these tools at your disposal.  Film making is addictive: the more you do, the more motivated you become to do more.

For help getting started with some or all of these tools, we look forward to seeing you at the Artisans Guild for Home Filmmakers get- together tonight, Monday, April 22, 7 PM EDT at Oliva Allin's.  If you are not yet booked to attend, just send an Add request to Olivia_Allin.  We are all there to help.  It is open to anyone who wants to make films in Home.

Message 91 of 111 (320 Views)
Survivor
2284 posts

Apr 22, 2013

WHERE WILL YOU SHOW YOUR CREATIONS?:

Another major consideration before you start investing in hardware and software to make films in Home:  Where, ultimately, do you want to show your films?  Where is your audience?  If all you do is post them on YouTube it is highly likely no one but your own friends and family will see them - IF you send them the link to your YouTube account.

Your next place for exposure (and to reach a wider audience) is here in this Forum.  If your film topic is of interest to Forum readers, you might get a healthy response.

Next best bet, contact Cynella at the Gazette and Eve at PlayStation Home Today about film/articles for their publications. So far as I know, neither of them will ask you to be exclusive to them.

Finally, if you aspire to reach the maximum audiences available in Home, you have only two choices:  PSTalent.com and HomeStation Magazine (hsmagazine,.net).  Each have their own Loot EOD channel in the Loot Space Theater and in the Loot EOD found in personal spaces in Home.  You will have to choose one or the other as each expects you to be exclusive to them.

Message 92 of 111 (317 Views)
Sackboy
389 posts

Apr 22, 2013

So at this time my best bet is to get the observer camera and give movie maker a try. I do have a few question  (forgive me if some seem ignorant but I am new haha).

- I did try the observer camera at a friends place ,it was his camera I recorded a clip on , I replayed it on my ps3 and it looked like poor quality compared to Loots BUT after seing how clear Jo's cameout I was wondering if that might be due to the fact I was using a friends camera or if it might've been me viewing it on the ps3?

- I have using youtube editor which is VERY limited on music when searching for a song to do , is that a copyright thing with youtube ? I'm assuming so as Evanesence,seether,creedand twisted sister seems to be all I can find as far as original artists. I just love making music videos so far ,maybe i'll change that but its very fun for me haha.

- To be clear if I want effects I need sony vegas correct? What got me into doing videos and wanting to get better is one video I seen on youtube which blew my mind ,not sure if you've seen it but I was hooked on the idea after I seen it. Start it at the 1:10 ish mark to see what got me wanting to do these.

Twitter- @ALEXELWAY7

Youtube - ALEXELWAY
Message 93 of 111 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

That video is amazing. Smiley Happy

I'm using an external high definition recording device to record my video. They aren't inexpensive and run around 175 dollars. Given I have a Mac I had to buy capture software given the Hauppauge didn't come with software for my Mac. I purchased EyeTV at the time I got my pvr which is about 2 years ago. Perhaps the new models have change and now provide it I'm not sure.

My Model

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018LX0DY

Newer Version

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Definition-Capture-Digital-Passthrough/dp/B00BQ7KICQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=el...

Message 94 of 111 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Apr 22, 2013

That was a video done by Alinea in HomeEU.  Her best is Alors en Danse.  Do NOT miss it!  And ask Mark (lordsmarticus) about special effects software to use in machinimas.  He has almost everyone out there and can give you detailed info.  You will meet him at the Artisans' Guild tonight.

Message 95 of 111 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2000 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

ALEXELWAY wrote:

So at this time my best bet is to get the observer camera and give movie maker a try. I do have a few question  (forgive me if some seem ignorant but I am new haha).

- I did try the observer camera at a friends place ,it was his camera I recorded a clip on , I replayed it on my ps3 and it looked like poor quality compared to Loots BUT after seing how clear Jo's cameout I was wondering if that might be due to the fact I was using a friends camera or if it might've been me viewing it on the ps3?

- I have using youtube editor which is VERY limited on music when searching for a song to do , is that a copyright thing with youtube ? I'm assuming so as Evanesence,seether,creedand twisted sister seems to be all I can find as far as original artists. I just love making music videos so far ,maybe i'll change that but its very fun for me haha.

- To be clear if I want effects I need sony vegas correct? What got me into doing videos and wanting to get better is one video I seen on youtube which blew my mind ,not sure if you've seen it but I was hooked on the idea after I seen it. Start it at the 1:10 ish mark to see what got me wanting to do these.

Great video, Alex! Again, I love how you tell a story in your video. 

To all:

Here's a great tip from HearItWow on using the MechJet suits:

I'll post another tip I've learned using the mechjet suit later today!

SUBSCRIBE: InWorldPix

WATCH:  Homeboy's How To

FOLLOW:  @InWorldPix

Message 96 of 111 (273 Views)
Survivor
2284 posts

Apr 23, 2013

And here's one I learned from HearItWow about using UrbanCamo when you want to film a scene without a camera and without being in it yourself!  This was done using only the Hauppauge PVR and Urban Camo disguise. 

This technique works well for public space shots.  Until such time as we have a portable camera we can use to shoot film footage in public spaces in Home, our choices are:

1.  Include yourself in the picture

2.  Hide  yourself behind something and shoot around it

3.  Use a mechjet costume and be prepared to crop the bottom of the picture when editing

4.  Use an Urban Camo costume (bush, rock, trash can, etc.) to disguise yourself as part of the background scenery.

Also, many thanks for my brilliant actors, burbie_52 and gitrman69 for taking direction from a bush!

Message 97 of 111 (257 Views)
Sackboy
389 posts

Apr 23, 2013

@ Homeboy   , I did'nt know if you thought the alinea video was mine or not but I wanted to clearify its not mine , its the video that inspired me to start trying to make these and I know I can do them really once I get the eqt. I need , I am somewhat of a perfectionist so i'm always looking at my videos and counting all the flaws as well as what I should have done differently which helps me as I try to make the mistakes again lol.

Thanks for all the feedback and help you guys have provided.

Twitter- @ALEXELWAY7

Youtube - ALEXELWAY
Message 98 of 111 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2000 posts

Apr 23, 2013

ALEXELWAY wrote:

@ Homeboy   , I did'nt know if you thought the alinea video was mine or not but I wanted to clearify its not mine , its the video that inspired me to start trying to make these and I know I can do them really once I get the eqt. I need , I am somewhat of a perfectionist so i'm always looking at my videos and counting all the flaws as well as what I should have done differently which helps me as I try to make the mistakes again lol.

Thanks for all the feedback and help you guys have provided.

oh, haha. Well, keep it up anyway. Smiley Happy

SUBSCRIBE: InWorldPix

WATCH:  Homeboy's How To

FOLLOW:  @InWorldPix

Message 99 of 111 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
364 posts

Apr 23, 2013

ALEXELWAY wrote:

ok, this video was made on a macpro desktop, with PREMIERE software (or equivalent),lightwave, and images was captured with an hauppauge HPVR!

even vegas can't rivalise with profesional soft...

but behind the TOOLS there is someone who spend a VERY HUGE AMOUNT of time and work!

more than everyone here can believe, trust me!

if you want to make videos, the best way is like all things, begin SMALL, then step by step go to the excellence!

Tools are important but skill is better!

newsign.jpg

Message 100 of 111 (231 Views)