Apr 02 2013
By: homeboy79 Gaming Beast 2000 posts

Ideas & Tips For Your Own PlayStation®Home Machinima!

[ Edited ]
110 replies 1640 views Edited Apr 14, 2013

Hey guys and gals! It's been a while!

Many of us have been creating machinimas in Home for a few years now  (you may have made a couple of your own). Admittedly, It was a little tough when I first started video recording in Home, but now it's become much, much easier.  From LOOT's Active Camera, a plethora of new, diverse settings, to new items that can manipulate your shot easier, there have been many advances in the way a machinima can be created in PlayStation®Home and hardly a reason not to do so.

However,  there are still a few hoops we have to jump through to make the perfect machinima. So, this thread will be for any new or old machinima creator who would like to share a tip or pick up a trick or two.

Have any advice or need some? Leave a comment.

Have a neat way to shoot a certain angle. Show us!

With LOOT's new machinima contest underway (and the release of Doctor Who items....TARDIS!!! *squeals*), I was inspired to make a few vids.  Over time, I will release new videos in this thread -some may be tutorials, while others will be something I wanted to share to help inspire ideas - I encourage you to do the same! 

For example, here's something I threw together earlier today:

Setting- TARDIS 

ITEMS: 2 fog machines, 2 canadian fireworks, 1 LOOT Active Camera.

Fog machines are set to intense and red.\

Video uploaded directly from PlayStation®Home to Youtube. Music provided by Youtube

Thanks for participating in this thread and Happy Machinima Creating! 

P.S. Once you've made your very own Home machinima, post it here: PS3 Home: Community Machinima

...And details about the latest LOOT Machinima contest and where to post your entry can be found here.

---------

Tips

---------

Here is my first video tutorial/tip with audio commentary:

------------------------

Animations

------------------------

(Courtesy of Joanna_Dark_)

Dance Animations Only Series One

Dance Animations Only Series Two (There was no editing in this video just a raw film capture)

Series Two Love and Rude Gesture Animations

SUBSCRIBE: InWorldPix

WATCH:  Homeboy's How To

FOLLOW:  @InWorldPix

Message 1 of 111 (1,640 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: Ideas and Tips For Your Own PlayStation®Home Machinima!

Apr 2, 2013

Why is your emote menu showing if this was created with a Home cam ?

Message 2 of 111 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2000 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

You mean when I select  "wave" at the end? Umm...because it does? Do you have an example of the menu NOT showing while using the LOOT Active Camera?  I would (seriously) LOVE to see learn how to not have the menu come up. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 111 (1,564 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
190 posts

Apr 2, 2013

chilllllll!!

mayb he got mixed up or sumdin!!!

it cud hapen wen u get old u kno!!!

ima make sum marchinas now 2!!!

thanks 4 da tips!!!!

bless!!
Message 4 of 111 (1,512 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
2875 posts

Apr 2, 2013

homeboy79 wrote:

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

You mean when I select  "wave" at the end? Umm...because it does? Do you have an example of the menu NOT showing while using the LOOT Active Camera?  I would (seriously) LOVE to see learn how to not have the menu come up. Smiley Happy

Sometimes it requires a fellow actor to do the action (including the wave) to prevent any menus from coming up. Others might have some tricks to add and share. Nice work though. I really love the prop selection to add atmosphere, and the music is perfectly epic. 

Message 5 of 111 (1,504 Views)
Gaming Beast
2000 posts

Apr 2, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

homeboy79 wrote:

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

Sometimes it requires a fellow actor to do the action (including the wave) to prevent any menus from coming up. Others might have some tricks to add and share. Nice work though. I really love the prop selection to add atmosphere, and the music is perfectly epic. 

Thanks! Smiley Happy  I was wondering if that was what ILLUMIN-X was talking about or not, but since I haven't made a video in a while, I didn't  want to rule out an update. I mean, I didn't even realize that you can add the PS Plus symbol  next to your name or turn your username display off  'til last week.  o_0 

I'm obviously catching up...

Message 6 of 111 (1,472 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Apr 2, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Agreed; that's the only method I'm familiar with in order to get a completely clean gesticulation without any pop-up menus. The alternative is to start the cut after the pop-up menu disappears, at the cost of losing part of the animation.

HearItWow has written two articles on Home machinima which I highly recommend for anyone who's new to it and looking to learn both basic and advanced tips:

So You Want to Make a Home Movie: http://www.hsmagazine.net/2011/04/so-you-want-to-make-a-home-movie/

So You Want to Make an Advanced Home Movie: http://www.hsmagazine.net/2012/03/so-you-want-to-make-an-advanced-home-movie/

Some personal advice I can offer off the top of my head, for what it's worth:

a.) When in doubt, shorter cuts rather than longer cuts (unless you're going for a deliberate artistic choice). A lot of Home machinima is filmed in one long master shot. Take the time to at least film some insert shots.

b.) When possible and tonally appropriate to the scene, keep the camera moving. Michael Curtiz was famous for having lots and lots of camera motion in his movies. You don't need to have every single shot flying around like a pinball, but motion creates emotion -- and can make the finished product look a lot more dynamic.

c.) For the love of God, try to avoid the default camera angle that we all use when navigating around in Home -- namely, behind and slightly above the avatar. Practice working with both the left and right thumbsticks to get different angles. One of the easiest is to rotate the camera view with the right thumbstick until the camera is facing your avatar, and then pushing the left thumbstick down (instead of up) to walk towards the camera. Much more interesting than staring at someone's backside for X-number of minutes.

d.) Whatever's most prominent in the frame is where the eyeball is going to go. This can be a challenge, since even with the R3 zoom, the default camera angle just doesn't get very close to your avatar (and thus your avatar takes up a very small chunk of the frame). If you have to film close-ups of yourself and you don't have any machinima tools such as the LOOT Active Camera, place your avatar facing a collision barrier and then use the right thumbstick to swing the camera around. Your avatar will suddenly take up much more of the frame.

e.) If you need to get a shot without your avatar in it, and you again don't have any in-Home machinima tools or outfits to work with, then use the collision barrier trick described in the previous paragraph, and then crouch against that collision barrier. With the camera rotated to face your avatar from the front, you should have a clean field of view without your avatar in it. Yes, you will look silly using the wall-crouch technique, but it's extremely effective if you're shooting on a budget.

f.) Be absolutely merciless when editing. Filmmakers get too attached to their own shots. George Lucas, when filming the original Star Wars, was famous for giving the same directorial note over and over again to his actors: "Faster and more intense." The same is true of editing: tighten the screws on your project until it's screaming. Remember that it has to be interesting to a general audience, not just you.

g.) Cropping the frame during the editing process can be your friend. Crop the bottom chunk of the frame if a blue pop-up activation prompt appears when you get close to an object. Crop the top of the frame if you're filming an avatar speaking and you want to avoid seeing the text bubble. Even a freeware editing program like Windows Movie Maker (which I see a lot of Home machinimists using) can do this.

h.) Bells and whistles are no substitute for emotional impact. If you have unlimited money and every filmmaking and editing software package known to mankind (and you know how to use it all), that's great. But don't get so hung up on using the most advanced tools and tricks that you end up turning your work into a whizbangery showcase with no emotion. This Home teaser video got over 50,000 views in less than a week, and it's nothing more than a sound effect, an avatar performing the "Boo!" emote, and three individual shots cut together:

i.) That said, if you are fortunate enough to have access to more advanced editing and effects software, then by all means use it -- so long as it adds to the emotional impact of the video, rather than distracting from it. One of the best Home machinima projects ever created was Home's Forgotten Spaces (a fictitious look at a post-apocalyptic, Pripyat-esque Home), by HSM filmmaker Godzprototype, and he was very careful to only use effects which added to the emotional impact of the video, rather than effects which simply called attention to themselves. Watch it for yourself (keep in mind it's a very unsettling video) and see why I personally rank it as one of the top Home machinimas ever made:

In any event, thanks for starting this thread, Homeboy. Your usage of the LOOT Fog Machine actually gave me an idea for something I need to film in the TARDIS, and I'm going to try it out when I get into the office tomorrow.

LOOT is currently running the Time Lord Adventures machinima challenge, and the Active Camera and Active Light are included for free with the Wave One Bundle, so hopefully this'll inspire some people to take the plunge and try their hand at creating Home machinima themselves. I suspect the BBC will likely be very interested to see what the Home community comes up with.

Message 7 of 111 (1,466 Views)
Gaming Beast
2000 posts

Apr 2, 2013

Lots of awesome advice, Norse!

Thanks for the links to Hearit's article's, too. A lot of that stuff are tips and tricks Hearit, DOD, and myself shared with each other when we were first starting out (man, that sure takes me back). Glad to see Hearit put it in some type of letter formatiom. Smiley Tongue

I can personally attest to all of the advice in those two articles. Especially, manipulating the camera angles with the help from items or different costumes/outfits.

With items and new spaces comes new techniques! Can't wait to see what new tricks and tips to discover! 

Thanks, again, for yours! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 111 (1,451 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2000 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

PenguinInPyjamas wrote:

chilllllll!!

mayb he got mixed up or sumdin!!!

it cud hapen wen u get old u kno!!!

ima make sum marchinas now 2!!!

thanks 4 da tips!!!!

hehe...no problem! ..and I guess I came across jerk-ish. I was really being sincere. my b

Message 9 of 111 (1,444 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Apr 2, 2013

As Glass stated, if you're filming yourself then that can happen, i was wondering if you were using a Roxio or another PVR device as opposed to a Home cam.

As far as Penguin hes a mindless troll anyway so I dont pay attention to him.

Thanks for sortin that out though. I was curious as to the conditions (and/or) device used.

Message 10 of 111 (1,424 Views)