Survivor
1924 posts

Re: [INFO] Upcoming Change in Home Save Files

Jan 17, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Hi Home Community,

We're excited to let you know that we will introduce a new patch in PlayStation Home next week (Home v1.75) and we will be transferring your save data from the PS3 hard drive and onto the Home Servers.

This will generally improve performance and means that your save data will be available should you ever need to reinstall Home or login from a different PS3. Your save data will be transferred from your PS3 to our servers when you first install the patch. This process will only occur once per account and you will be informed that the save data transfer take place via an install message.

Once the transfer is complete, Home will only read your save data from the Home Servers. As such any backup data or saved data you may have on another PS3 will no longer be accessible.

The save data being transferred includes your Preferences, Character Saves and Apartment Furniture Layouts. 

The transfer process will not affect your Purchases and Rewards which are already stored on the Home Servers.

Since this is unusual to pre-announce a feature of a platform update, it is to give ample time to our core users who may use several versions of their save files, manually updating them from from a backed up source—this is to let you know to put your main saves on the hard drive prior to launching Home the first time after it updates to version 1.75. 

The rest of the official patch notes will be released in the blog the week it comes out. Get ready! There's never a dull day in Home.

Enjoy!

I'm a little worried about this. 

Back in 2008 and early 2009, Home used to do this. Data was stored on the server. It had benefits in I could go to another ps3 and all my avatar saves were already accessible without me having to upload or copy anything. 

The bad part was that one time my ps3 froze while I won a shirt reward. The data got corrupt on the server. At first it was funny because every time I logged in to Home parts of my avatar's body were ripped off. They were GONE. I became the invisible man. There was some sort of issue saving. As in I COULDN'T SAVE DATA properly. So if I earned rewards or change clothes, Home would error on bootup and parts of my body simply dissappeared..

Eventually the problem got worse. And every time I booted Home I would FREEZE. I wouldn't even complete the login. I would freeze during startup. I tried calling, but couldn't get anything fixed.

I had to abandon that account. 

A year or two later, Home did a massive database maintenance. And that fixed that account. But I had already switched to another. And there were MANY rewards I couldn't go back in time and get again for that repaired account.

Message 81 of 469 (582 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13194 posts

Jan 17, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

ProfessorTripp wrote:
This is good news in my opinion because I don't bother with saving multiple personal space layouts, but I also share concern about the scripts file. There have been multiple reports of people's script files becoming corrupt and losing their Hudson dolphies. For that reason I have been diligent in backing up my Home files to PS+ online storage just in case.

Now if the same problem happens there is no way to get your dolphies back. If the corruption is caused by a problem with saving data on the HDD then maybe this problem will disappear once files are stored on remote servers, but after the core update if there is some sort of corruption in the file there's no way to get back to an older version of that file.

I saw the reply saying that the server will be backed up regularly, but will there be a way for us to access those backups if we need to?

In those terms, one could even argue that Home's Golden age ended shortly after the 1.65 update.

Golden Age ended after the released of Redesigned of Home (AKA THE HUB)

Message 82 of 469 (574 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

Jan 17, 2013
@Jokerman: I am 99 percent sure that each account will be unique as it is now. Log into HomeUser1 and that account will be saved.
Log off that account and log into HomeUser2, and then that accoint will be saved in a unique file.
So every account will be as unique on the server as it is currently on your PS3.
Message 83 of 469 (570 Views)
Survivor
1924 posts

Jan 17, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

julie_love wrote:

It's good to see that NA managers read the EU blogs like the rest of us to find out what's happening in PS Home.

We planned to sync release this information (and it was all released within the same hour globally), and I don't appreciate your tone. Knock it off julie. I expect better from you.

I expect a little less "defensiveness" from a paid professional whose the face of Sony here. True, she was sarcastic. But there's truth to the fact that we often have to go to EU to learn what's happening in NA here. NA staff should be the FIRST to announce information. Not the last. 

Julie is one of the nicest persons I've met in Home. And if you don't like the tone of your customers, maybe there's a problem on your end that needs fixing that's causing frustration in someone that has loved supporting Home.....

Yeah, it's not fun hearing barbed criticism. But it's important for SONY not to lash back at paying customers. 

Message 84 of 469 (547 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
266 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

then why the hell are they putting this back if they know they had several problems with it in the past years, there's a reason why they took it out and now there putting it back Smiley Frustrated where's the logic I mean seriously who is managing this, they think it's simpler but it's not it takes 2 second to transfer the data to your account but no instead what they want people's account to freeze and things dissapearing and corrupted data to happen so that people create another account and they make more money or what.  I mean this is really frustrating  due that they know all the problems they have with their servers and now bring this im sorry but I really don't see the big news in this , sure it would be a good thing if we all knew that the servers are good and we'll never lose anytthing but we all know its the opposite instead of doing a core update for useless things that we can do ourself and assure we'll never lose anything they should concentrate more on the people's demand instead of always thinking of a better way to make money but hey if I lose anything or my stuff is all gone and the same thing happens to me that it did to firefly in past years im never going back on home so it's their problems if it doesn't work well like it did in the past they'll just lose and lose clients and money 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 85 of 469 (535 Views)
I Only Post Everything
778 posts

Jan 17, 2013

i like the idea of our saves being on the sony servers but think we should be able to upload alternate saves whenever we want . this is just an exploit patch . i don't ise but i do have several ps3s all with different saves so depending on what i'm doing that day i have options . i LIKE options ! not happy , phats . 

HOMELINGS ROCK!!!!
Message 86 of 469 (523 Views)
VP of Gaming
34149 posts

Jan 17, 2013

im kind of amused about people talking about this update freeing up HDD space.

have you seen the size of Home saves? they are only a couple hundred KB tops. unless you have hundreds of Home saves on your PS3(dont see how thats possible anyway) Home saves dont take up a lot of space.

also kind of sad that this is the "big news". dont get me wrong, its a welcome and neat update, but not really "big news" in the way anyone was expecting.

Message 87 of 469 (516 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3916 posts

Jan 17, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

also kind of sad that this is the "big news". dont get me wrong, its a welcome and neat update, but not really "big news" in the way anyone was expecting.

Called it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 88 of 469 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3315 posts

Jan 17, 2013

And I was about to buy a usb key just so I could save multiple settings...

Overall I think this will be a good thing. We'll have to wait and use it to really know whats behind it.

I had 2 ps3 for a while until I gave 1 and really enjoyed having two different settings while still able to move some through my ps+ cloud save. I was about to buy a 2nd one(again)... not so sure now...

But if that can really prevent some hacking, I'll give it a thumbs up no matter what.

But you need to remember how much people wanted and kept asking for multiple save possibility for furnitures layout. Now you have to honestly work toward this.

btw. Julie give me some slack, Doc give me a break....liking meme calling user haters... Thats not a way to treat your customers.

Freedom is not the power to say no.
Real freedom is the power to say yes.

6EQUJ5 Do you copy?

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 89 of 469 (482 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jan 17, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

im kind of amused about people talking about this update freeing up HDD space.

have you seen the size of Home saves? they are only a couple hundred KB tops. unless you have hundreds of Home saves on your PS3(dont see how thats possible anyway) Home saves dont take up a lot of space.

UGH.. Now I have to recount my KBs.. Don't post! You messed me up! 1..2..3..4..

HomeStationMagazine
Message 90 of 469 (483 Views)
0 Likes