Treasure Hunter
5870 posts

Re: [INFO] Blog this week

Jan 9, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Unfortunately, publishing Tuesdays is never going to happen because Tuesdays are always the busiest day on the blog, and in the bigger scheme of things, anything that goes on Tuesdays would be drowned out in the large collection of other posts (plus the blog guys are insanely busy preparing everyone else's posts, which is not a quick, simple matter, though you might think it is)—so it's either Mondays (not happening anymore due to being too far out) or Wednesday morning. That's how we came to the decision, even if it means I wake up before the sun is up where I live so I can actively participate in the comments, per usual, to answer your questions about this week's content. 

As for other regions, they're run by those people, and have their own reasons and ways for doing things that fit best for them there. As for us, we have the largest and most content-rich region, and with that combined with other factors we have to work within, we strive to make decisions that best serve everyone here.

Give it a couple weeks, and I think you'll actually appreciate it once the dust settles. Would you mind withholding judgement till then for me? Smiley Happy

And if we still don't like it after a couple a weeks, will it be moved back to Mondays?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 61 of 111 (320 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
2875 posts

Jan 9, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

What they really ought to do is move blog publishing to Thursday, and only include the items that didn't sell well on Wednesday. That should get the most marketing value from it.

Whilte I appreciate the understated humor in that, the blog is simply for information-sharing, and we try to serve our 3rd parties best by supporting their content in a neat package where the community knows they can also go for everything in one place. Pimping out only the lesser-bought stuff would actually lower any promotional value to that content, as our (very smart) community would figure that out very quickly. 

Message 62 of 111 (315 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4692 posts

Jan 9, 2013
Glass, can I suggest more videos on the blog or are they each dependent on the developer? Primarily asking because of Konami's Strike Force outfits with each having unique animations.

Then again, if magnus was around maybe that would've solved this issue this week. I would like to see them before purchasing, and I bet I'll have to chase down 3 separate people to make outfit comparisons.
Message 63 of 111 (309 Views)
2875 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

GlassWalls wrote:

Unfortunately, publishing Tuesdays is never going to happen because Tuesdays are always the busiest day on the blog, and in the bigger scheme of things, anything that goes on Tuesdays would be drowned out in the large collection of other posts (plus the blog guys are insanely busy preparing everyone else's posts, which is not a quick, simple matter, though you might think it is)—so it's either Mondays (not happening anymore due to being too far out) or Wednesday morning. That's how we came to the decision, even if it means I wake up before the sun is up where I live so I can actively participate in the comments, per usual, to answer your questions about this week's content. 

As for other regions, they're run by those people, and have their own reasons and ways for doing things that fit best for them there. As for us, we have the largest and most content-rich region, and with that combined with other factors we have to work within, we strive to make decisions that best serve everyone here.

Give it a couple weeks, and I think you'll actually appreciate it once the dust settles. Would you mind withholding judgement till then for me? Smiley Happy

Can you do something about the New Items Tab? I understand having featured items is something marketing wants but having to hunt through all that is bad enough even when you know what is new.

I think if the New Tab only had new items like they do it in Japan for example it would go a long way towards making it easier for users to find new content when they log in on Wednesday mornings. 

Yes, I think I can investigate and try to do something about that. It might take a week or so to straighten out, but I will chat with the Home Operations team tomorrow, and see if that's something we can do. I'm all about simplicity, and I think you guys are too.

Message 64 of 111 (303 Views)
2875 posts

Jan 9, 2013

ooOHinataOoo wrote:

GlassWalls wrote:

And if we still don't like it after a couple a weeks, will it be moved back to Mondays?

Nope. This move is the only one that makes sense—it ensures far greater accuracy and follows the PS Store's lead. I'm just saying, I give it a couple weeks, because I think the first-thing Wednesday morning will begin to feel like either Christmas morning (YAY PRESENTS!) or like Saturday Morning Cartoons did for me (YES! NEW CARTOONS ALL MORNING LONG!).

*runs to get a bowl of cereal ready to eat with my new cartoons, err... content!* 

Message 65 of 111 (285 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Jan 9, 2013

GlassWalls Guessed:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:
Can you do something about the New Items Tab? I understand having featured items is something marketing wants but having to hunt through all that is bad enough even when you know what is new.

I think if the New Tab only had new items like they do it in Japan for example it would go a long way towards making it easier for users to find new content when they log in on Wednesday mornings. 

Yes, I think I can investigate and try to do something about that. It might take a week or so to straighten out, but I will chat with the Home Operations team tomorrow, and see if that's something we can do. I'm all about simplicity, and I think you guys are too.

;^) Now that'd be a welcome thing. I'm sure I've missed a number of new things I may have wanted, just because I didn't notice them. A tab that only showed the items truly new for that week would go very well by me.
Message 66 of 111 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
591 posts

Jan 9, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

ooOHinataOoo wrote:

GlassWalls wrote:

Nope. This move is the only one that makes sense—it ensures far greater accuracy and follows the PS Store's lead. I'm just saying, I give it a couple weeks, because I think the first-thing Wednesday morning will begin to feel like either Christmas morning (YAY PRESENTS!) or like Saturday Morning Cartoons did for me (YES! NEW CARTOONS ALL MORNING LONG!).

*runs to get a bowl of cereal ready to eat with my new cartoons, err... content!* 

You know what? youre ok in my book, dude Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 111 (268 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5870 posts

Jan 9, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Or you could have Home go back to old way where it updates on Thursdays and you can still have the blog come out on Wednesdays. Do it that way and everyone will be happy and everyone gets what they want.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 68 of 111 (263 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
362 posts

Jan 9, 2013

The blog updating on the same day as Home makes way more sense than any preview.  Anyone that has never or hasn't logged on in ages will be better served by a blog that has content that is actually avaiable now.  They can see the cool new ninja game in Home and play it right away.  I think this will make it much easier for new users.

As for people that want content previews and a list of new items there are much better sources for that.  Most "hardcore" home users are probable using some of the great community websites to see whats new anyway because the blog never has everything.  And if you are really keen you can find some really cool previews on stuff as well.

So good job on the blog change, I hope this works out well for everyone once people settle down and get used to it.

3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Thew902 wrote:

Moved to sync with Home coming back online... Interesting.

While I did appreciate the Monday blogs, a few things with this change do come to mind:

-With the blog being posted at the same time, there is a lesser chance of having issues with announcing content that later gets pushed back to the next week. (Codeglue leggings come to mind)

-I'm no psychologist or marketing expert, but I think dropping the blog right at open gives us, the consumers, less time to take in the information and think about it prior to purchasing. More impulse purchases?

Lastly, I hope it is a new core next week. I hope whatever it is lives up to the expectations of this forum.

The change is for two reasons:

1) Syncing up on publish day increases accuracy of information. When it's published earlier, that means it is often locked the Friday before, with several days where things could be delayed for unexpected reasons (often out of our control). 

2) It's following the PS Store's lead by publishing the blog post once the store itself is done updating. Again, info on time, at the right time. 

It will not be moving again except for special occasions, like *next week!*

Oh come on....the other regions dont experience all the innacuracies or problems with meeting the publishing deadlines. Its just NA.

And its pretty hard to digest, that a multi billion dollar company with global assets doesnt insure that information is posted on time to its consumer base. They seem to be able to flood us with advertisements on time in Home.

Its one department blaming the other department and in the end the community suffers because as far as we know its really both departments or just one.

And as far as people stopping by the blog to see whats new on the day of release...No bueno.

Sorry but the entire "Christmas Day" thing doesnt actually fly.

When I was a kid on Christmas Day I didnt care about what was for sale in the local papers simply because I already opened my gifts. What difference would it had made checking to see what I COULD HAD GOT once I was already playing with what I had opened ?

And the way I remember it...cartoons were free. That Jedi mind trick didnt work for me

Message 70 of 111 (231 Views)