Message 41 of 48 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Re: INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF SLOTS ALLOWED FOR FURNITURE IN PERSONAL SPACES

[ Edited ]
Dec 12, 2012

TSUNADE1224 tossed in:
a user-controlled sliderthat reallocated memory back and forth between the visitor cap and the furniture cap as desired. Same total amount of memory, but greater flexibility for the user.

Great read, Danger_Dad.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Yeah but how would such an item work?  So you slide to allow more people but some of the furniture disappears?  And for that matter what pieces of furniture would be taken away and put back?  Explain this process please

:^/ I suspect the slider would be used to choose how much RAM you wanted to allocate before placing furniture. If you wanted to decrease it afterward, it would require you to remove stuff (of your choice) before allowing the slider to be moved lower again.

Message 42 of 48 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Dec 12, 2012

pyrodragon5 wrote:

furniture slots would dissapear not the furniture itself.  if you already have too much furniture out it would give a warning that you cant move the slider in that direction until you removed enough furniture (free up enough slots) to allow it

im guessing thats how he was imagining it to work

Precisely. Let's assume the estate defaults to 100 / 11 (one-hundred items and eleven guests, which is the current norm). The idea is to have a core update which introduces a user-controlled slider, so that you could subtract from one memory channel to add more to another. You could raise the furniture cap to 200, but your visitor cap would be reduced to six, for instance. And, if you attempted to invite more, you would receive a pop-up prompt telling you to decrease your furniture allocation.

Or, conversely, if you needed to entertain a large group, you could slide in the other direction and go down to 50 items -- but have room for, say, 20 guests instead of 11 (although, at that point, a clubhouse might make more sense). You would then be prompted to remove the correct number of furniture items before the change could take effect.

It's exactly the same amount of memory, but the user has been given far greater flexibility over utilizing it -- which is exactly what Sony did with the Home 1.65 core client update, by the way, to much popular support.

In general, the average number of guests per estate (when you look at the user population and its activity as a whole) is quite low -- which means that a big chunk of an entire memory channel is sitting there, wasted. So this would be a method for the user to enjoy a higher furniture cap without feeling much of a trade-off -- and, indeed, the user would be in full control of the allocation, so if there was a special event which merited a high number of guests, it would simply be a matter of removing the excess furniture and moving the slider back in the other direction.

Is it as good as a magic-wand core update that simply gave the consumer more of everything? No. But it may be a more feasible low-cost alternative in the short term while we wait and hope for something on a larger scale.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 43 of 48 (386 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Dec 12, 2012

NorseGamer wrote:

Barring that, I rather like the idea Ms. Liza brought up a while back in which estates had a user-controlled slider that reallocated memory back and forth between the visitor cap and the furniture cap as desired. Same total amount of memory, but greater flexibility for the user.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Funny...I read the last post talking about the user-controlled slider thinking "What a great idea!" and vaguely recalled reading about that topic before.

Then, I read back to the previous page where you posted that it was my idea.  I'd forgotten about posting that one on HSM a while back.  I must be getting old.

Thanks for remembering though. Smiley Happy

castle3
Message 44 of 48 (349 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
2875 posts

Dec 12, 2012

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

I am curious to know if theres any updates on whether the amount of slots for furniture items will increase.  The amount of personal spaces being sold on home that are larger in size is increasing ... i.e Blueprint Home, Avalon Keep and the new Lockwood Dream Island.  I dont see how this isnt possible being that ur funiture is saved to ur HDD and not on Sony's servers.  Oh, not to mention the LOOT TV's that take 26 spaces (including wall mount or tv stand).  So Sony? .... Whats the 411?

As of now, the chances are not likely. It's not on any future Home update roadmap and may not be possible after the upped it last time (there is a limit to the memory, after all). 

Message 45 of 48 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 12, 2012

GlassWalls wrote:

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

I am curious to know if theres any updates on whether the amount of slots for furniture items will increase.  The amount of personal spaces being sold on home that are larger in size is increasing ... i.e Blueprint Home, Avalon Keep and the new Lockwood Dream Island.  I dont see how this isnt possible being that ur funiture is saved to ur HDD and not on Sony's servers.  Oh, not to mention the LOOT TV's that take 26 spaces (including wall mount or tv stand).  So Sony? .... Whats the 411?

As of now, the chances are not likely. It's not on any future Home update roadmap and may not be possible after the upped it last time (there is a limit to the memory, after all). 

Thank you for the comment. I know many are interested in knowing. This at least lets us know what may or may not be possible at this point and what we can expect. 

Message 46 of 48 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2012

Yes thank you for finally being strait with us.

"Locking a thread takes away our 1st Amendment"
Message 47 of 48 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Dec 14, 2012

GlassWalls wrote:

T

Thank you for the response Glass I really appreciate being in the know and its refreshing to see our questions answered Smiley Happy, so thanks again and have a wonderful holiday.

Message 48 of 48 (257 Views)
0 Likes