Fender Bender
3906 posts

Re: IGN's article..broken Home??

Apr 28, 2007
I think what really matters is what we, the consumer, think about Home. Not a opinion site. Their job is to create traffic to their site and things that are positive just don't do it, people want bad news. Personally I can't wait for Home. And its not like you have to use it.
Message 11 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Apr 28, 2007
werid
hit counter
Message 12 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3390 posts

Apr 28, 2007
GDC 2007: Digital Culture: Broken Home
Will the PS3's virtual world find an audience?

<SCRIPT>showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');</SCRIPT> March 7, 2007 - Sony has been struggling to get its message out over the past six months thanks to a series of spectacular gaffes but the heart of Phil Harrison's keynote address at the Game Developers Conference today was in the audience's hands before the lanky Englishman even took to the stage. Giant inflatable balls sailing over the heads of attendees in a mock game of soccer said it clearly: We'll provide the tools - you create the fun.

The tool in this case is Home, Sony's Second Life-flavoured answer to Nintendo's Miis and Microsoft's community features and Achievements. It's a virtual home for you and your friends and a virtual world for people and companies across the globe, and keeping the spinning mess stuck together is cold hard cash.

The new service - due this spring in beta before it's added to the Xross Media Bar (for free) at the end of the year - allows you to create an avatar and a home you can decorate MySpace-style with your own photos and videos. (Disclaimer: MySpace is owned by News Corporation, which also owns IGN Entertainment.) Sony has gone to great lengths to create a malleable environment you can customise as you please. Quite why you would want to watch video on a virtual TV while you're staring into a perfectly good one is something you'll have to ask Sony. The arcade games are a nice touch, though.

Live in your world, live in ours?
Of course, commerce is going to be an important part of the experience. Even the promo video Sony put out after the keynote makes sure to remind you that you can buy unique clothes and tchotchkes to decorate your pad at the PlayStation Store. Already there is talk of turning the more public areas of the world into an online mall where you can buy all sorts of digital goods. And why not? Virtual economies are hot right now.

Xbox Live has been an enormous success for Microsoft, and it's come to be one of the defining features of the Xbox 360. Since the console launched in November 2005, more than 6 million people have joined Xbox Live and between them they have activated more than 5 billion Microsoft Points for use on the Xbox Live Marketplace. That translates to about $27 million. Second Life, on the other hand, has developed a vibrant multidirectional economy where Linden dollars, which can be traded for real currency, flow between users and companies to the tune of $5 million a month. Second Life users make real money by trading items and services in a true user-generated environment.

What are the chances that Home will see similar support? For one thing, Sony has demographics on its side. The average gamer these days is 33-years-old, which just happens to be the exact same age as the average Second Life player. It's a similar story over at MySpace, where more than half of all users are reported to be 35-years-old or older. There's a larger question though.

Is this really what PS3 owners want? Is Home not simply a glorified friends list brought to life in a virtual world that brings the nightmare of omnipresent advertising into our spare time away from the media glare as well? Are people going to spend real money to clothe their avatars and decorate their houses? Will people go to virtual cinemas to watch clips of games, TV shows and movies if they can get them via more traditional means? It's hard to imagine gamers frothing over Killzone and Gran Turismo 5 caring too much about Home and yet the obscene price of the PS3 means that Home is less accessible to more casual gamers. Exactly who has Home been created for, and perhaps more importantly, will they be there on the PS3 to enjoy it?

One of Sony's Achievements trophies
Sony's Achievement envy was on proud display in one of the features of Home only touched on - the virtual trophy room. Here you'll be able to display trophies collected in games, with the implication being that there is more than one per game to collect. From the limited images I've seen, the 3D trophies look good, but I wonder if they'll go far enough to addressing the desires of gamers looking for something more like Microsoft's system.

There are still a lot of questions about the trophies that Sony hasn't addressed. Is this something that the company is going to mandate in future PS3 games? Is the trophy room the only place you'll be able to see them? Will there be some sort of number attached so that people can compare and compete? If not, do the trophies even matter? It's fair to say that Microsoft stumbled into the success of Achievements but now that they're here, they've set a standard or sorts - one that Sony isn't approaching directly.

The problem with user-generated content and communities that spring up in support of social networking tools is that they are dependent on the fickle wants of users. Sony has done a decent job of researching what's hot in the social networking space and it's put checkmarks next to the features of most of the big players in the scene, but there's no guarantee that Home won't turn out to be a bloated response to the relatively simple and more tightly integrated features of Sony's competitors. But, hey, at least it's free.

Are you looking forward to Home? If not, why? I'd like to hear what you think.
Message 13 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3390 posts

Apr 28, 2007
Enjoy!
Message 14 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1072 posts

Apr 28, 2007
We can't be blinded fanboys all the time.  I think the article brings up some very good points and asks questions a lot of us may be thinking but are too scared to ask.

Time will only tell how this will play out.  I am very much looking forward to Home, but I agree there are some serious issues that need to be ironed out.

Thanks for posting the article.

Message Edited by chawknz on 04-28-2007 11:11 AM

(PSN: CraigHwk)
Message 15 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
13759 posts

Apr 28, 2007

QCVic wrote:

You have to be an Ign insider member to read the full article. If you are please read it and tell people what it's about....

why dont you just post what it says? not everybody is gonna pay for an account there.
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Message 16 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6880 posts

Apr 28, 2007

"why dont you just post what it says? not everybody is gonna pay for an account there."

.......Read what I said slowly...... I was asking somone that has an account there to read what the article said and post it on here...........wow
Photobucket
Message 17 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6880 posts

Apr 28, 2007
Thanks IceCold and eveyone else who posted that article!
Photobucket
Message 18 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
972 posts

Apr 28, 2007
IGN has been extremely biased against the PS3 lately, just watch their head-to-head of FEAR on 360vsPS3. They say the complete opposite of what the gamespot review said. Who's telling the truth? I'd say gamespot seeing as how they're pretty much console agnostic while IGN is divided into sub-factions.
PSN: CaptainKillface, XBL: mechakucha
Message 19 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
697 posts

Apr 28, 2007
That article says the average gamer is 33 yrs old. I think NOT.
Message 20 of 26 (0 Views)
0 Likes