Reply
Wastelander
Registered: 11/28/2007
Offline
828 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 18, 2009

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

XxPyleXx wrote:

 

Home works for me.  i followed all instructions.  Just re-install home, it works just fine.  Don't delete ur saved file.  Those people aren't listening to what the managers said.  Theres instructions on how to log on.  There is a problem, and the managers know of this issue.

The 1.3/2 bug does not work on all PS3's and it does not matter if you follow the instuctions or not.  Some PS3's even after deleting Home and then re-installing it it does not work.  There is a large number of people that can't use Home right now.

 

Other people like my self find it an insult that Sony is asking us to jump thru hoops to get Home to work.  Sony should be makeing quality material for us.

 

Also if you have been useing Home for a long time you are also most likely missing some items due to the 1.3/2 bug's.  Go re-check to see if you have everything.


My only response to this is that this is the beta, and its free. Anyway, I've given up on the beta for now, until Home is fully operational (video streaming and music streaming) the firmware update that gave us a chat room is superior at this point.

Photobucket
Message 121 of 129 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2008
Offline
8666 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 18, 2009

PygmyOperative wrote:
What sort of things could be missing?

 

Are you talking to me?  A small list has been made check out this post I think it's up to 11 items and they just started the post.

 

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=homesupport&thread.id=10392

***********************************
Folding@home Team #118000
***********************************
GAPHome

             

               General

Message 122 of 129 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2008
Offline
8666 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 18, 2009

Vex_Doppel wrote:

 

My only response to this is that this is the beta, and its free. Anyway, I've given up on the beta for now, until Home is fully operational (video streaming and music streaming) the firmware update that gave us a chat room is superior at this point.


My response to that is how long has Home been in beta now?  5 or 6 years?  It was in CB for almost 2 year and it's almost it's 1 year OB birth day.  Let's also not forget that Home is older then the PS3 it was first made for the PS2.  Some people don't think it will ever come out of beta.  So how much longer are we going to use this excuse that Home is still in beta there for everthing is OK?

 

Also Home is only free if you don't buy anything.  Sony is never going to force you to buy anything but Home is the only beta I have ever used that also ask's people who want to, to buy items.  Please help me out here can anyone else think of any other beta where they ask you to buy stuff in it?

***********************************
Folding@home Team #118000
***********************************
GAPHome

             

               General

Message 123 of 129 (37 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 06/25/2009
Offline
520 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 18, 2009
meh take ur home hate somewhere else...
Message 124 of 129 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 07/30/2009
Offline
522 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 18, 2009

Thanks!


King0fHearts2007 wrote:

PygmyOperative wrote:
What sort of things could be missing?

 

Are you talking to me?  A small list has been made check out this post I think it's up to 11 items and they just started the post.

 

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=homesupport&thread.id=10392


 

 

Message 125 of 129 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 07/30/2009
Offline
522 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 18, 2009

I don't think we have any Home haters here. I think we just have some folks who want Home to be better. Much better. 

 


dmrrauch wrote:
meh take ur home hate somewhere else...

 

 

Message 126 of 129 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 04/14/2006
Offline
57 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 19, 2009

Yeah, I love Home, I'm starting to really appreciate it now since I didn't touch it for 5 months and didn't much explore it the last time anyway.  But when they opened the Uncharted 2 space, I really enjoyed it, really explored more, and made some great new friends, and I'm starting to see that Home is pretty cool actually, and they've made many improvements. But yes, because of all the hype and promise they pumped into it originally, it still feels like its lacking that "WOAH" factor, and all the features they promised, but, they're getting there. Because I like Home, I really see the potential for it beyond what it currently does, and I really hope it grows and expands into something special.

 

What a great article. I do think it was a bit too heavy on the "Home hate" rather than atleast mentioning what is cool about it (and how about the fact that no other console has a Second Life-ish application to meet other gamers on), but it is pretty accurate in showing that, look, we remember the original promises you made, and we still have yet to see most of those.

 

However I do appreciate the frames alot and the game launching ability now.  I can't wait to see what is added. I'm hoping we'll get some surprises just in time for the holidays 

Message 127 of 129 (37 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/29/2008
Offline
363 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 19, 2009
IGN's article is ok about Home. (I usually hate them) They make some valid points but I won't consider Home a failure yet.  Did many consider the PS3 a failure in about a year? Possibly.  But look how far the system has come.  I'm just sayingthat because everyone jumps on the "Home is a failure" bandwagon, everyone step back and give it a little more time for development. I like Home a lot.  But there are improvements that can be made.
Message Edited by gamers542 on 11-19-2009 04:36 PM
Message 128 of 129 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
Registered: 04/14/2006
Offline
57 posts
 

Re: (IGN ARTICLE ) Broken Home: An Examination

Nov 20, 2009

I will never ever jump on any bandwagons...  You are exactly right, its not THERE yet, it still needs time to grow. I was shocked at the amount of game spaces that came along since I was away from Home, and even the Theatre expanded into what I originally envisioned and hoped it would be (and not just a single theatre room). I appreciate some of the minigames as well. That saucer pop is pretty fun actually.

 

It's interesting you mentioned the state of the PS3. I was one of those people shunning PS3, if only because it looked like they really screwed up this time around, gotten too big of a head from their previous success, and now underestimated the competition.  A small part of me actually hoped PS3 WOULD fail, maybe as a sort of Karma for what they did to Dreamcast (I'll always be sour about that). But I did have a PS2, and fantastic experiences on that console, and I knew it would probably only be a matter of time before I would cave and have to buy a PS3 (exactly that happened with PS2, lol). It's interesting that I ended up buying a PS3 in June 2008, only a year and a 1/2 after its launch, not that long really, and I didn't even save money, I ended up paying MORE than the usual going price because I opted for a special edition....

 

Anyway, I pretty quickly took back everything I thought about PS3. It just started getting better and better right in time for my joining it. MGS4 launched then, the trophies came along shortly after, Uncharted1 was on sale and I bought it and waited for the trophies support to kick in.  Home was releasing later that year, as was Little Big Planet. It seemed to me that PS3 was on a roll, and I was learning the truth about how awesome it really is.  Now I especially believe this is true.

 

Not that I had anything to compare it with (except Wii, and PC gaming), so I couldn't compare it to that other "box", however, PS3 really is redeeming itself, and as you say, why should we expect any different from Home itself? We can already see that's happening.

 

The main problems I have for Home atm would be the following: Long load times, and especially, hyping up events that turn out to be a flop. The zombie rally thing I was  looking forward to. I mean they even mentioned it in Pulse, like twice, and created a dedicated website for promoting it, but when I get there, all it is is a bunch of running man zombies, some army guy telling all the zombies to clear out, and we're supposed to look at the screen for some reason, which just looked like a "join the army" advertisement to me. I have no idea how you get any rewards from that event, or what voting pro or anti zombie was supposed to accomplish, but, all that advertisement but not very clear at all about what's going on or how to earn any prizes, it felt like a big flop. I was actually kind of embarrassed that I took part in it when they didn't make it worthwhile (although all the zombies dancing was pretty funny, and me and my friend were fitting in yet seperating from the crowd, by being warewolves doing bodypop =P)

 

However, not everything is a flop, because some of these Home events were pretty cool and fun to partake in, and unfortunately, I completely missed the Xi thing, I only started it and they got rid of it a week later, and I was busy that week, so I was pretty sad about that cause it seemed like I'd actually be able to solve complicated puzzles, which is refreshing.

 

So long story short, Home needs work, but its pretty cool just the way it is, and it's certainly no failure when you can't say that yet, because its not completed yet.  As you said, the PS3 itself is proof of how you can judge something so incorrectly, and it can still make a comeback and redeem itself. As Home will do.

Message 129 of 129 (37 Views)