Highlighted
Dec 11 2009
By: Slipknot-Joe Lombax Warrior 149 posts

IDEA: Blu-Ray Movies Support Home Items

7 replies 4 views Edited Dec 11, 2009

I just thought of this idea:

We now know that PS3 games can support HOME items, but imagine if certain movies could give you HOME items. 

This could be possible because some Blu-Ray movies save data to your PS3 (In the 'BD Data Utility' folder, under 'Video' in the XMB). Now this data could tell the PS3 if you have watched the  movie (Watched the whole movie or even just put in the disc) , watched certain special features on the disc, etc.

This would porabably get more people to buy Blu-Rays for these HOME 'Rewards'.

Plus, Sony are in the film buisness, so this could even make it easier for them. 

I havent come across this idea before (Sorry if it has already been posted) , so please tell me what you think

Just Imagine The Possibilities!

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Slipknot-Joe
Message 1 of 8 (4 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Re: IDEA: Blu-Ray Movies Support Home Items

Dec 11, 2009
Would be really nice but it won't happen. Studios have control over the content and they aren't going to invest into Home at the moment and probably not in the future either. Even first party Sony titles are owned by the movie Sony division which I guess is seperate from SCEA. Everything seems to be seperate with Sony.
Message 2 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
771 posts

Dec 11, 2009

LonelyMisfit wrote:
Would be really nice but it won't happen. Studios have control over the content and they aren't going to invest into Home at the moment and probably not in the future either. Even first party Sony titles are owned by the movie Sony division which I guess is seperate from SCEA. Everything seems to be seperate with Sony.

As much as I don't like to put a good idea down, LonelyMisfit has a good point. In order for those movie makers to put items in a Blu-Ray they would need to either have a video game development team, or contract out to one. Either way, that's money they could be using elsewhere. There is no known correlation for Home Items to added sales, so why risk it?

The only way I could see it working is if a movie maker were to have a video game developer working on a game simultaneously. In that case, why put the items with the movie when you can put them with the higher price game?

Don't get me wrong, Blu-Ray Home items would be awesome. It's just the idea is a bit.... incomplete.
Message 3 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Dec 11, 2009

It is a cool idea.

Sony should do it. They own Movies, Music and Games..

I remember hearing that soon one of the Movie Blu-ray discs will come out with the God of War 3 demo. Yes, inside the movie disc...

So.. it is doable. If they can put a full game demo, why not just one ornament or shirt?

Message Edited by thegeeknile on 12-11-2009 02:19 PM
PlayStation Home Today
Message 4 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 11, 2009
I would like a BlueStingray trophy in my HomeSpace for watching X# of Blueray discs.
Message 5 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5806 posts

Dec 12, 2009

Although it be cool if I got a William Lycan costume for having Underworld....

I don't see this happening.

And people would have to be crazy to spend 30-35$ for a 'Free' Home gift off a movie

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
638 posts

Dec 13, 2009

Rene_Led wrote:

And people would have to be crazy to spend 30-35$ for a 'Free' Home gift off a movie

Yeah, but you could look at it as buying a $30-$35 Home item and getting a free movie LOL.

Seriously, I see it as doable.  Question is, will Sony do it?  Maybe if enough people ask for it...

Message Edited by DarkMagickan on 12-12-2009 05:27 PM
-------------------------------------------------
No, no, NO!!! It's THINK first, THEN speak!
Message 7 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3914 posts

Dec 13, 2009

Rene_Led wrote:

Well if the item was amazing, or it was several items which were of interest to me, then hell yes, I would. I'm buying MAG because of the personal space, and I hate that game. And I have a feeling that if the items were designed to be things from movies, they would be incredibly amazing seeing as how the possibilities are endless. I don't see why they couldn't do personal spaces either.  

Message 8 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes