Jan 24 2013
By: tdarb Fender Bender 3844 posts

I've never been more ashamed

[ Edited ]
15 replies 830 views Edited Jan 24, 2013

I've always considered the Home community to be largely fun and helpful. Sure there's the odd person that jumps in and makes things rough, but that has always been the exception. In the past few days though, It seems like it's become the rule.

I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but some of the people here are making us sound like self indulgent little brats. You guys are attacking one or two people for decisions that are out of their hands, and it is shameful. I thought we were better than this. Don't shoot the messenger for giving you the message he was given.

I am so tired of seeing the whining and the complaining. We get it. Some of you have grown up to expect that everything in life will be catered to you. Well, despite what your mom has said, it's not. You will not like a lot of things in life, so get used to it. No one owes you anything. In fact, half the people you meet in life probably won't even like you. You're not special. None of us are.

Any information posted in this forum or elsewhere is done so as a courtesy. It should be treated as such. No one is obligated to keep you "in the loop"

Obviously this isn't directed at everyone. Clearly there have been some very beneficially stated opinions, and there are completely valid complaints to be made, but if all you can do is yell at people and throw a tantrum, then just leave. You are clearly not happy here, and there is enough unhappiness in the world without people ruining things for others.

I've said what I have to say, and I accept the full consequences of it. To all of you actively trying to make this a better place, thank you. I apologize. I just can't sit idly by on this one.

Message 1 of 16 (830 Views)
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Re: I've never been more ashamed

Jan 24, 2013

lol, Well said.

Message 2 of 16 (717 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
364 posts

Jan 24, 2013

why this?:

Who sows the wind will reap storm!

cause => consequence.

if you don't want all this mess, don't put confusion in people's mind.

Message 3 of 16 (689 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2432 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Thank you, tdarb, for succinctly wording my exact sentiments! There IS a difference between negative constructive criticism and pitching a fit, the latter of which the forums has seen a large amount of in the last week. Look, I get it, some of you aren't happy that the CORE update for Home (notice it's not regional, people!!) will remove the ability to swap out layouts for your personal spaces, a nifty bit of fun that many enjoyed, that they've FINALLY thrown in perks for us Plussers, etc, etc, so on and so forth. Slamming yourself down on the floor and berating GW, like he PERSONALLY instituted all these changes, is just... below ALL of you. The guy has enough stress, just dealing with the day-to-day operations of Home, yet y'all want to pig-pile on top of him and squash him like a bug. Sure, he may've lashed out, but be honest with yourself; if people were verbally attacking you incessantly, would you REALLY be able to keep it bottled indefinitely? Do I think he owes at least julie, an apology? Sure, it'd be nice, but don't treat him like he's your personal whipping boy. Let me put it to you in this way: Either you love Home, and open your mind to change, or take your hard-earned money elsewhere. Nobody forced you to spend in Home, nobody's forcing you to spend in Home now, and NOBODY said you can't leave. The choice is now in your hands, decide how YOU want to spend your leisure time, and be adult enough to live with your decision.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 16 (652 Views)
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Well stated tdarb.

I agree that the forums have been getting out of control lately to the point where I really don’t go on much anymore. Don’t get me wrong: there’s nothing wrong with legitimate criticism and making a point to back up your disagreement. A lot of users on here state their case very well. But its clear that a few other bad apples who don’t know better (I’m not naming names, but they are in a very small, count-on-one-hand minority) seem to be looking to do nothing more than bait other users and Home Management and instigate them into responding at their whim solely in the effort of feeling important. And I’m not excusing GW’s comments from this past weekend (I thought they weren’t very professional nor in the spirit of a Community Manager). That being said, this is what can happen when push turns to shove.

As a writer by hobby, I know all too well how the flow of ideas and opinion can create a wonderful stream of communication when used wisely and discreetly. Therefore I would always suggest to any poster that if we see something on the forums and we do not like it, that we answer the following questions:

- Am I just trying to have the last word?

- Is my comment NOT informative and helpful?

- Will my comment provoke endless dissent and disagreement?

- Is this something that is going to cause Trawnzaa, space_cape, or any other moderator to edit, delete or lock the thread altogether?

If the answer to any of these questions is “Yes”, the re-write your comment until the answer becomes “No” before you hit the post button.

In closing, I do want to say its encouraging to see a vibrant community that is not afraid to bring their opinions and comments to this forum. I just think that a select few users need to understand that communication is not a license to egg on, cause a “drama-cane” (I have a much better simile but its almost certain to get me banned lol), and create a hostile, non-constructive environment. Here’s a message to those of you: you really AREN’T that important.

Happy Home-ing all!
Photobucket
Message 5 of 16 (612 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 24, 2013

tdarb wrote:

I've always considered the Home community to be largely fun and helpful. Sure there's the odd person that jumps in and makes things rough, but that has always been the exception. In the past few days though, It seems like it's become the rule.

I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but some of the people here are making us sound like self indulgent little brats. You guys are attacking one or two people for decisions that are out of their hands, and it is shameful. I thought we were better than this. Don't shoot the messenger for giving you the message he was given.

I am so tired of seeing the whining and the complaining. We get it. Some of you have grown up to expect that everything in life will be catered to you. Well, despite what your mom has said, it's not. You will not like a lot of things in life, so get used to it. No one owes you anything. In fact, half the people you meet in life probably won't even like you. You're not special. None of us are.

Any information posted in this forum or elsewhere is done so as a courtesy. It should be treated as such. No one is obligated to keep you "in the loop"

Obviously this isn't directed at everyone. Clearly there have been some very beneficially stated opinions, and there are completely valid complaints to be made, but if all you can do is yell at people and throw a tantrum, then just leave. You are clearly not happy here, and there is enough unhappiness in the world without people ruining things for others.

I've said what I have to say, and I accept the full consequences of it. To all of you actively trying to make this a better place, thank you. I apologize. I just can't sit idly by on this one.

No, information posted here and elsewhere is marketing and customer service. There isn't nearly enough of it and it's frequently lacking in detail.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 6 of 16 (572 Views)
Fender Bender
2706 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Constructive criticism is helpful, personal criticism is not unless it's made to make a point... but too often the latter criticism misfire and makes things worse. 

I think GlassWalls can handle it or at least I thought so. Cade Peterson (GlassWalls) should realize that it's not personal and probably does. 

I'm guilty of the nasty remark at times... once I said in sarcastic humor that the moderators on the previous board should be fired because things were really a mess. My post got shut down real quick although I did get kudos from well repspected people on this forum. They got it I guess and the od didn't, but that's OK.

I do agree with tbarb's OP in general.

Hang in there. 

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 7 of 16 (553 Views)
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Part f the reasons I don't come to the forums anymore besides my lack f access is because the crybabies and complainers an those who are never happy have seemingly taken over. We lost cydoniax because of this and now everyone misses her, some don't seem to learn even when they experience the repercussions of their actions. Idk, I know we have the right to complain and critique but some tend to take it too far. (This is chelada btw)
Message 8 of 16 (421 Views)
I Only Post Everything
574 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

Agreed, tdarb. People need to get their act together and not argue cause arguing never solves a thing. The most important thing is we are a community and people should start acting like it.

photo TheRobsSignature_zps7f0db83c.jpg
Thanks to KANE-FIRE for the sig. Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 16 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1156 posts

Jan 24, 2013

As being part of that convo last night (yup, we get on Home to discuss stuff, mics are a wonderful thing Smiley Tongue) I'd like to add that in the last little while, it has become much worse ... having been on Home since almost the beginning, and being used to all the drama here, I've noticed that especially since the PSN outage, it's gone from bad to worse and lately, just nutz ...

we want something, we don't want something, we get it or never get it, doesn't matter cause the reaction's the same ... we complain about no input, then get it and complain some more ...

you get the impression some of these peeps have nothing better todo than waste enormous amounts of time posting negatively about everything they read ... it's PSN, it's Home, it's not real and it doesn't matter LOL

There's enough real crap going on in everyone's lives to deal with, your PS3 is there to entertain you, it's a way to pass time and forget the real life BS ... if not, turn the f*****g thing off, go outside, breathe some oxygen for a change ... might do some good Smiley Tongue

Photobucket
 photo CT3WinnerBanner_zps9eb2b641.png
Message 10 of 16 (388 Views)