Highlighted
Sep 05 2010
By: WFG9 Hekseville Citizen 377 posts

I know, it's prententious and that I should get over it

22 replies 19 views Edited Sep 5, 2010

But it really annoys me how so many people on Home routinely, not just occasionally, misspell what, that and good, etc. What, not wat, I would like to know is why? They're simple, first grade, perhaps pre-school, words. I understand occasionally doing, but over and over? I'd feel shame if I did that.

Anyway, I expect this thread will be locked, and that's ok. I mostly needed to get it off my chest.

Message 1 of 23 (19 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Re: I know, it's prententious and that I should get over it

Sep 5, 2010

OK den.

Message 2 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Sep 5, 2010

hyperkane wrote:

OK den.

Ha. Nice one.

Message 3 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5465 posts

Sep 5, 2010
There should be a rant forum here. NOT saying you're wrong (YOU'RE, not YOUR Smiley Very Happy) or anything, and it doesn't really sound pretentious, just more or less picky.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Won't argue what I should or shouldn't be concerned with, it's just vexing for me. No, you're not being rude. I expected a respone like yours, which was civil.

I think in order to avoid it without just staying out of Home completely, I'm just going to have to put a lot of people on ignore. I have low tolerance.

Message 5 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Sep 5, 2010

I know what you mean It's just like typing out "you" instead of "u" all the time. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just the way some people talk or type. Some of us prefer trying to use proper grammar and punctuation and spelling. Others prefer to speak ebonics, 1337, slang, txt tlk, and so forth. In real life, I honestly spend a lot of time correcting people on their speech . . . . humoroursly though. I live in the  "dis, dat, dese, dose" country; the Cajun Country. So I hear it all the day long. But those people I talk with most, and know me most of all, I'm always messing with them about their pronunciation and everything Just joking around though, nothing serious.

It's just a matter of accepting that people are different FROM (not "than") you or me. We have some quirks that probably can get on the nerves of others, just like improper grammar and spelling and pronunciation can get on our nerves sometimes. You just can't let it get to you, because we all have certain ways and things in our own personality that are different from others.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 6 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2394 posts

Sep 5, 2010

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have a keyboard for my PS3.

I'm not going to spell everything correct or use correct grammar when I'm on Home.  If you understand what I'm saying, that's good enough.

Pretty much, I do it because it saves time, and since we're human, we can decypher what people are typing.

I do, however, have a problem when people say things like "i an prob an goto cpmd fo tic o pelo cya."  Not gonna lie, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Yes, I did create that game on the Vita you probably never heard of.
Message 7 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Sep 5, 2010

I abbreviate some, and it's mostly the short words which bother me, not just because they are simple, but because one extra letter, or even using the correct letter(s), should make virtually no difference in how long it takes to type them. I also use one word sentences, say gg, ty, np, etc. Shorthand is especially understandable at the Mui Ship because of how lag-heavy it is.

As you said, you can only speak for yourself, but I do wonder if much of it is about being considered cool, and not so much about saving time. I once saw someone spell good as guud and then correct herself by removing one of the Us.

Message 8 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
721 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Goto the godfather space or EA fight night, it will make you feel like you're back in 3rd grade. All I have to say is, good luck to those people out there in the real world.

Message 9 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2394 posts

Sep 5, 2010

WFG9 wrote:

I abbreviate some, and it's mostly the short words which bother me, not just because they are simple, but because one extra letter, or even using the correct letter(s), should make virtually no difference in how long it takes to type them. I also use one word sentences, say gg, ty, np, etc. Shorthand is especially understandable at the Mui Ship because of how lag-heavy it is.

As you said, you can only speak for yourself, but I do wonder if much of it is about being considered cool, and not so much about saving time. I once saw someone spell good as guud and then correct herself by removing one of the Us.

At that point, it probably is done to seem "cool".  I, on the otherhand, see that as stupid.  She could just as easily said "good" and she wouldn't seem dumb.

I also agree with you about using words like gg, etc., but using the wrong word because the person seems hip?  That's just really low.

Yes, I did create that game on the Vita you probably never heard of.
Message 10 of 23 (19 Views)
0 Likes