Jul 30 2012
By: KSaku22 Monster Hunter 37 posts
Accepted Solution

I have a question about the avatar gender subject.

[ Edited ]
15 replies 506 views Edited Jul 30, 2012

Why is it so frowned upon to make an avatar not your real gender?

I have NEVER been able to make interesting male designs with the intention that that character will be the main character (I'm sure all my stories that I write will have protagonists that are female), and when I tried using male avatars I honestly felt like I was staring at a dude when I am not interested in dudes.

A female avatar gets me around that, and I talk like myself and never once have I tried to pass myself off as a real female. So I don't get why I should be hated for it.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
A US version of Weekly Toro Station and US releases of the Toro games would be awesome meow.
Message 1 of 16 (506 Views)
VP of Gaming
28241 posts

Re: I hate to spam up the recent topics but I have a question about the avatar gender subject.

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2012

I would shorten the title of your thread to reflect the topic.

You can make your avatar look anyway that you want (within good taste). If anyone has an issue with it, that is their problem and not yours. Just ignore their comments and keep doing what you are doing.

Most of the community wouldn't care what your avatar looked like.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 2 of 16 (497 Views)
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Re: I have a question about the avatar gender subject.

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2012

KSaku22 wrote:

It obviously isn't frowned upon by Sony or the developers since they sell a lot of bundles with both male and female items for one person. Your best bet is to ignore anyone in Home that harasses you regarding gender. 

Using an avatar of an opposite gender isn't unusual in Home. In fact it might be difficult to find people in Home that haven't used an avatar of the opposite gender at some time.

Just have fun in Home and don't let the trolls ruin it for you. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16 (478 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Jul 30, 2012

KSaku22 wrote:

I have NEVER been able to make interesting male designs with the intention that that character will be the main character (I'm sure all my stories that I write will have protagonists that are female), and when I tried using male avatars I honestly felt like I was staring at a dude when I am not interested in dudes.

A female avatar gets me around that, and I talk like myself and never once have I tried to pass myself off as a real female. So I don't get why I should be hated for it.

Kids are out of school for the summer. Some (not all) tend to wade in the shallow end of the gene pool. Of course, there are some adults that flounder-around down there also, but the hate should subside soon enough.  Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 16 (427 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4422 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2012

KSaku22 wrote:

A US version of Weekly Toro Station and US releases of the Toro games would be awesome meow.

I think this is a much more important issue than AVI gender! 😍 MEOW!

Message 5 of 16 (392 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1772 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2012
I can say that I never used the opposite gender at all.....but to answer his question only people new to Home or people that try to use Home as a dating service will get upset if a male dresses as a female on Home.....I'll be honest I was one of those that did question it at first....but now it doesn't bother me
Message 6 of 16 (369 Views)
Splicer
60 posts

Jul 30, 2012
Tbh, it shouldnt matter. I use a male avi sometimes lol just to play dress up with it haha. But to answer, and i think someone else mentioned this, adults are not the majority on home. So maturity level tends to stay on the low side :/ But i say do what makes you happySmiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 16 (327 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1235 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Just some closed minded people that can't deal with someone being different. 80% of the guys on Home will get furious with you because they expected to get into your internet pants and throw a temper tantrum the moment they find out that's not gonna happen.

Message 8 of 16 (310 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Be who you like to be on PSHome.. You can be the opposite gender as you like and don't let others tell you you can't. People on Home dress as many different things such as dogs, cats, aliens, helghasts, trashcans, trees, hamsters and much more... This is PSHome, just have fun with it, I know I do Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16 (293 Views)
Wastelander
817 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2012

If someone wants to be your friend, the avatar gender won't matter. But don't lie about who you are. Nobody likes a liar, or get lied to. Just be honest to others and there shouldn't be a problem. (That's just a general statement. I'm not saying you have lied)

The main reason people have a problem with it, is because they treat PS Home like it were a dating service.

Someone who is trying to date pixels is the sad part lol.. Not the avatar gender.

Edit: The whole dating pixels to me is kinda silly, but I shouldn't of said it was sad. For some people it might be the only way they can date. So do whatever makes you happy.

Message 10 of 16 (285 Views)