Jul 30 2013
By: LightningEmotion Gaming Beast 1633 posts
Accepted Solution

I had a dream..

[ Edited ]
23 replies 610 views Edited Jul 30, 2013

I just woke up from an unexpected nap whilst being on PS Home..

hj

I had a dream..

In this particular dream, I had actually imagined I was in PS Home. And everyone else in these forums was there as well ..standing upon the benches of Central Plaza. But instead of it being virtual avatars, it was our actual selves.
..And we were all disappointed with our appearances.

Is it just me, or do other users get a increasingly unignorable urge to know what the people behind the avatars actually look like? Not as an interest of perversion or anything (e-)romantic-like, but an urge out of curiosity.. Do you sometimes ask people who you are interested in (for any reason) to show you pictures of themselves?.. I'll admit I do that a lot, but I wanted to know if anyone else did it or if they don't ask.., why don't you?

EDIT: Also, do you mind when other peope ask for your pics/what you look like?

[Also could people please refrain from asking me "Why are you asking this in the first place?" or some variation of that question.. If you don't want to contribute to this topic report it and move on]

Message 1 of 24 (610 Views)
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Re: I had a dream..

Jul 30, 2013

I have dreams about Home too sometimes. As for avatars I'm probably one those rare ones who actually made an avatar based on what I look like in real life. Sure I'm not much to look at, but I figure if I have to live with this look in real life, I might as well in the virtual world too. I made a thread a year ago called "Do you make your avatar based on yourself? Then prove it!" A lot of people did repond and posted pics of themselves. I had mine up too but I took it down because I became an interest for the some forum trolls to take shots at me. But yeah for the most part I use an avatar based on myself, except when I wear costumes which I do a lot too. Man Happy

bobs fed signature
Message 2 of 24 (583 Views)
Fender Bender
2038 posts

Jul 30, 2013
I've personally never been to curious about another users appearance, I can respect their privacy but if they'd like to show me and feel they have that trust towards me than that's fine.

I personally don't mind if a close friend/forum user asks me about my appearance though, if I feel I have trust towards them I'll gladly show them. I as well am one of those users who makes my avatar suit my appearance in real life, I'm just much more comfortable with it that way and feel more immersed into PlayStation Home.

So when you're seeing my avatar, you are basically seeing me. Cat Happy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 24 (555 Views)
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2013

"First Rule of the Internet: Everything's a guy until proven otherwise."

Internet staple since dial-up for me, so I learned how lil to care about appearances early. Otherwise by that 'rule' I'd be swimming in man-meats. XD rofl

But in all seriousness, so long as I get to put a bullet where it's supposed to go, I've never really cared who I game with. :3
(And I still have my Dreamcast... ftw! XD)

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 4 of 24 (550 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2013

By default I just assume most of the people on the forum are guys or average looking Smiley Tongue Even the girls lie on here. I noticed somene had 2 different dates of birth the other night. In fact, almost everyone I've spoken to on this forum has given falsified information somewhere or another so I give up caring about personal details!

I've seen pics of most the users and the ones who look above average tend not to spend their time on the forum or Home trying to make out to everyone how important their opinion is or how great their virtual photoshoots are. Let's be honest to ourselves, they are frankly doing much more awesome stuff, and hanging out with much more awesome people in real life.

But before you go get upset and try and find a way to criticize me Smiley Very Happy I'm including myself in the Average Joe club, and personally feel we should value the merits of our word and honesty over such things as looks or our avatars not matching our real selves. There's a few great people here, whether they're special IRL or not. How we look doesn't matter too much as long as we're not lying and good to one another.

Oh dude, about your question - no I don't ask for pictures. Smiley Happy friends will share pictures with you in their own time.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 5 of 24 (533 Views)
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2013

LegoFire wrote:
I personally don't mind if a close friend/forum user asks me about my appearance though, if I feel I have trust towards them I'll gladly show them.

Ah , thats a good point!! I forgot to ask how people feel when someone asks what they actually look like. For me, its not big of a deal at all. But for certain other people who needlessly think highly of themselves, I can imagine how showing their actual mug could be detrimental to their fantasy of being a flawless supermodel.

Okay here's my say.. (sorry if this seems a bit wordy, but its early .. don't chew me out too much , guys)

Personally, I've sometimes gotten the impression that Home is sort of like a "drug" for certain users.. In a good way and also a peculiar way.. The good points of Home have already been discussed in other threads.. friendship, love, trust, mushy stuff.. But then theres also the other reason. Without going into a lot of detail, Home can create the illusion that it's users are one of the "rich and beautiful". And I hate to say it, but realistically most people on this planet are neither of those things. Even so, in Home they can be a beautiful blonde supermodel who lives in a mansion (complete with an ego of a millionaire supermodel to boot!).

For some, that specific feeling of power and prestige, of being the object of extreme envy or desire can be addicting (especially if they aren't accustomed to it in real life).. maybe negatively so, as well. I can understand if someone wants to remain private. But sometimes, I feel theres a major disconnect between some users and reality. I also feel that they believe if they were to show an ounce of reality to their friends, their own face, their illusion and perfect world would come crashing down around them. That  may be a silly thing to think, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Message 6 of 24 (483 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jul 30, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:
But sometimes, I feel theres a major disconnect between some users and reality. I also feel that they believe if they were to show an ounce of reality to their friends, their own face, their illusion and perfect world would come crashing down around them. That  may be a silly thing to think, but it wouldn't be impossible.

When key members of the Home community are so ashamed of themselves they use their Home accounts to talk to their real life Twitter accounts to keep a facade up, then yes there is truly a major disconnect between some users and reality. But we shouldn't mock these people, or attempt to counsel them. We should simply accept them for what they are and hope that they rejoin humanity eventually.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 7 of 24 (474 Views)
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Jul 30, 2013

Reported and moved on.

Message 8 of 24 (445 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13193 posts

Jul 30, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

I just woke up from an unexpected nap whilst being on PS Home..

hj

I had a dream..

In this particular dream, I had actually imagined I was in PS Home. And everyone else in these forums was there as well ..standing upon the benches of Central Plaza. But instead of it being virtual avatars, it was our actual selves.
..And we were all disappointed with our appearances.

You know what my real self looks like?!

Message 9 of 24 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Jul 30, 2013

so Al,  how do you feel about what I  said in the OP?

Message 10 of 24 (353 Views)
0 Likes