Splicer
43 posts

Re: I can walk in Home.

Jan 7, 2010

Monsignor wrote:

I guess I am with some people on this thread.  I'm not quite understanding the point.  I kind of understand what it is like to live with a disability because by brother is a double amputee so I have an idea how frustrating things can be sometimes.  However, I don't understand how you have all of a sudden stumbled upon this wonderful outlet as if the simple idea of it is new to you.  Sure, you can walk in Home, but you can also walk in World of Warcraft, Sims, Second Life, and just about every video game that you've likely purchased over the past 10 years.  What makes Home so special you feel it necessary to report out that you can be someone you couldn't be in real life?  It just seems like a really odd thread to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a jerk.  I'm just trying to understanding the justification for the thread.   

i really cant believe all the negative to this thread. i dont have any disabilities but i work in a nursing home and see it all the time. i know i would be devistated to wake up everyday not being able to walk or move my fingers. activities would be very minimal. i think home is a great alternative for jer. not like he can just get up and out everyday and socialize. atleast he can get on home and socialize with people from all over and they cant judge him by his disabilities. as i see some of you may not befriend him if it was in reality. this is his chance to be "normal" without all the judgment and stares, which im sure he gets. im sure it did take a lot for him to share his story and now im sure he may even regret sharing. this post isnt just directed towards you but to all the negative posts to this thread
Cali
Message 271 of 286 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Jan 13, 2010
300 kudos holy cow you deserve every one Jer congrats on this post growing like it has Smiley Happy 

@Jim777PS
Message 272 of 286 (33 Views)
Survivor
2254 posts

Jan 13, 2010

Sedzpo wrote:

I want to personally thank Jersquall for making me see PSHome in a completely new light.   So often we take the simplest of things for granted, and when someone shares a personal thing such as this with the rest of the world, (while retaining dignity and pride), it makes those of us who are blessed really sit up and take notice.

We all should take the time to thank God for what He gives us, and we should also thank Him for creating the type of person who inspires the rest of us to remember to always BE thankful.

Nicely done, Jer!

Each and every one of us are blessed.

But, as you say, we often take the simplest things for granted.

Personal opinion is that Jers himself is blessed in a way some of us will never know.

GISignature
Message 273 of 286 (33 Views)
Survivor
2254 posts

Jan 13, 2010

Jim777 wrote:
300 kudos holy cow you deserve every one Jer congrats on this post growing like it has Smiley Happy 

Indeed and agreed, Jim.

... be wary, Jim - Nos has brand spanking new sharpie and knows how to use it.

*evil grin*

GISignature
Message 274 of 286 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Jan 13, 2010

I want to personally thank Jersquall for making me see PSHome in a completely new light.   So often we take the simplest of things for granted, and when someone shares a personal thing such as this with the rest of the world, (while retaining dignity and pride), it makes all the rest of us who are blessed really sit up and take notice.

We all should take the time to thank God for what He gives us, and we should also thank Him for creating the type of person who inspires the rest of us to remember to always BE thankful.

Nicely done, Jer!

Message Edited by Sedzpo on 01-13-2010 03:11 PM
Message 275 of 286 (33 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1307 posts

Feb 25, 2010

Jersquall wrote:

Hi guys,

Alot of you know I have been here supporting Home like most of you for a long long time. Why? My reasoning is simple. I can walk in Home. See, I have trouble playing games that use the shoulder R1, R2, buttons. Let me take a 'Step' back and explain. I don't talk about this with any of my online friends but I think I have established myself here and my real friends will understand.

I am a C-5, C-6 Quadriplegic. My fingers do not move. I had a diving accident when I was younger that left me paralyzed. Now those that have played online games know I can still hold my own as long as I have an acceptable button configuration. But if any of you know or have had any type of physical disablity then you know how hard it can be. Most games I play have button mapping in the controller options. Home has simple controls and although I'm sure it was not intended specifically for those with limitations it makes me happy just the same. Our avatars are not exactly as we are, as you all know. Some of you have made your avatars as you really want to be.

My avatar in Home is how I imagine I would look if I could walk.. To the people in the forums and my online friends, The N1's (The Nameless Ones) I'm still Jersquall. no different than anyone else in Home. Please don't think differently of me. So what's the coolest thing for me about Home?  I can walk in Home.

~Jersquall

p.s. wow, that was tough..

*applauds* Every time i read this I cry. GO JER!!!!!

Message 276 of 286 (34 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2260 posts

Feb 25, 2010

Jersquall wrote:

Hi guys,

Alot of you know I have been here supporting Home like most of you for a long long time. Why? My reasoning is simple. I can walk in Home. See, I have trouble playing games that use the shoulder R1, R2, buttons. Let me take a 'Step' back and explain. I don't talk about this with any of my online friends but I think I have established myself here and my real friends will understand.

I am a C-5, C-6 Quadriplegic. My fingers do not move. I had a diving accident when I was younger that left me paralyzed. Now those that have played online games know I can still hold my own as long as I have an acceptable button configuration. But if any of you know or have had any type of physical disablity then you know how hard it can be. Most games I play have button mapping in the controller options. Home has simple controls and although I'm sure it was not intended specifically for those with limitations it makes me happy just the same. Our avatars are not exactly as we are, as you all know. Some of you have made your avatars as you really want to be.

My avatar in Home is how I imagine I would look if I could walk.. To the people in the forums and my online friends, The N1's (The Nameless Ones) I'm still Jersquall. no different than anyone else in Home. Please don't think differently of me. So what's the coolest thing for me about Home?  I can walk in Home.

~Jersquall

Thats a great story to read, thanks for sharing.
ape escape. Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 277 of 286 (34 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Apr 3, 2010

Hey Jer,

I lurk the forums quite a bit but post very rarely. I've read many of your posts and find you to be a really down to earth person. You don't seem to lord your HCV status which is admirable. Having only recently read this post I think it's really awesome that you don't let life get you down and have become a big part of these forums and Home as well. Kudos to you!

Message 278 of 286 (34 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40067 posts

Apr 3, 2010

Jersquall wrote:

Hi guys,

~Jersquall

Hiya Jersquall,

I have a disability, compared to your situation it is very very minor, I have a stutter/stammer, my school days were hell, being asked simple tasks like my name or to read out loud from a book in class would bring me out in cold sweats, is my stutter/stammer as pronounced as it was when I was a child no, but in PS HOME I can 'talk' to people without them thinking, 'what's wrong with him', make sense?

I was very moved by what you had to say & I know it must have taken a lot to have done so so publicly on this forum, your an amazing person, will I think differently of you, yes, but only to the extent that I admire you for both what you have said here & what you have achieved in life, all the best to you.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 279 of 286 (34 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1135 posts

Apr 3, 2010

Its tough leading a life that , for you jerks that were negative in this comment , just remember Karma .

+1 Kudos for the strength it took to write this ,

The mission of People’s Home Initiative is to provide and support committed, confident and caring volunteers who through community relations, leadership and a standard of excellence help to achieve a more unified and productive voice for the Home community and to make Home a better more enjoyable experience for all.
Message 280 of 286 (34 Views)
0 Likes