Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Re: How to handle the bad elements on Home and their stupidity....

Aug 8, 2010

If all else fails, pop a game into the disc slot and offer them a match in your or their favourite game via game launch...

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 11 of 58 (17 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
78 posts

Aug 8, 2010

I'm one of the ones who can't let it go. When I'm somewhere to have a good time I don't run from anyone, even if surrounded by harassers. I've quietly taken too much abuse in real life to let it happen in game. So, I pretty much morally brow beat them until they either see the error of their ways, get bored of being lectured to death, or flee. But yes I do report them for their behavior, and TELL them they are being reported as well as inform them I'm taking screen shots. That will usually scare them off, if it does not, and they threaten to counter report, I allow it since- I hope- it will only catalogue the chat and show just how bad they were being. Most of the time though I try to convince someone to stop what they are doing by talking to them, trying to teach them through compassion I suppose you'd say, which no one likes.... So usually when this happens the encounter ends up with them fleeing or me getting a fiend invite. My tips? When you see harassment on home, come to the aid of the harassed.

1) Stand by their side. Even if you say nothing, a show of support in numbers can often intimidate bullies. 

2) Mention you are reporting and taking screen shots of the harassers and do just that for later use.

3) If all else fails, tell the victim to ignore the abusers and try to engage them in conversation so they can put up a show that they are ignoring the bully. This is tricky since most people just won't give up and is hardest to do with the grinding crouching crowd, since it is just so disgusting. But again having a number of people report the abuser even for MINOR altercations dose help.

I don't advocate my way of trying to teach people to stop their foolish folly, I've been doing it for years so it's not an easy skill to develop. However, I absolutely  DO NOT suggest is counter cruelty. Don't curse someone out, don't try to beat them at their own game by grinding your male avatar up against theirs and relying on their homophobia. Just don't, even if it may work sometimes, you are only spreading the unhelpful aspects. The most extreme cases should get a block/mute, and or, as others have said, moving to another space. 

It may feel good to make them run away, or fight fire with fire, -I know, I'm sadly guilty of it myself especially when I'm just tired of dealing with it several times a day and tired of leaving and tired of seeing my friends harassed- but it doesn't help anyone. It only validates their belief that it's acceptable to do so on home, and fun if people get grossed out. Even if you don't think it works well, report people. Trust in the mods to do their job and don't worry, don't stress, it's not worth it.  

Message 12 of 58 (17 Views)
Survivor
1924 posts

Aug 8, 2010

It also helps to know where NOT to go. Like Central Plaza is a river of noobs. And you will have to face an endless stream of noobs who will repeat the same obnoxious behavior. 

Mall is like that too to a lesser degree. 

Also, it helps new users to know that most of the obnoxious noobs either where the default clothing, or they wear the ak47 shirt. Sometimes they wear some of the free shirts in the mall, but not usually. Almost always the ones with antisocial behavior are wearing default clothing or the AK47 shirt. 

generally, folks that wear purchase stuff don't look for fun by harassing others. But there's plenty of exceptions.

Message 13 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1620 posts

Aug 9, 2010

Hiya  

It just hit me having watched a program called THS. True Hollywood Stories with the theme about Online Nightmares….It talks about the net and showed us just how scary it can be. Ken Burton who works for Machinima gaming. He has a campaign that is called K.E.N.* keep everything Nice* wouldn’t that be terrific if we could have the same TAG on Home itself. Home is an online community for everyone to use who owns a ps3 console. I had friends quit Home because they couldn’t handle it anymore. I was witnessing BS on Home some time back, where guys would harass a girl in CP so nasty that it was hard to watch.

Yes it’s easy to avoid and forget what we don’t see on Home. So I urge everyone who has friends or see others being bullied on Home to come to this post on this forum and tell us their stories. Because I believe that the more people who steps forward with their stories, the more light we can shine on it. After I read the short story of MangatManx on my post then it hit me. I want this Home bulling to be heightened on this forum post of mine. I don’t want it to be a rehab of any kind. I just want to shine some light on the big problems we got on Home every day. Some kids or teens they want to escape their bad realities and find a better life on Home.  It’s never easy to escape a bad life in real life and find a worse kind of world online.

Girls of all ages come onto Home and want to have fun and guys or girls harass them.  Home in supposed to be fun and entertaining and a great place to meet friends and make new ones.  Now why escape a bad real life to only come online to an even worse one. So I want everyone who sees bullies and victims and teach them the truth about what they are doing is wrong and guide them to this post and let them see what is in store for them. We can help others here and guide them into what is right and give guidance to those who is being bullied by others. We are mature enough to shine some light on this issue all over Home. I would really appreciate the fact, that a link was put into the daily message of everyone logging into Home to see it. I would like that link to this post to be permanent on the Daily Message

Abuse is never allowed. Take action before it’s too late to help someone who is struggling. It’s easy to say *If only I could have done something to help that person. *

I want to thank everyone who is replying and showing their support to this post and share their stories and ideas and give us fresh ideas to work with. Thanks guys.

To live in the 50's is to not dream of the future. To live in the future is to dream of the 50's. To acknowledge change is to invite it into your life. To live with simplicity is to enjoy the easy things in life...You decide your lifestyle. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 58 (17 Views)
Splicer
82 posts

Aug 9, 2010
@ F1REFLY: Not everyone who wears the AK47 shirt is a noob, I have that shirt and wear it all the time... why? Because the thought of walking around with an AK on my back amused me when I got it at the Socom place. Noobs are noobs, they don't dress a certain way... they ACT a certain way which is what makes them noobs.
Message 15 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1433 posts

Aug 9, 2010

This is very funny, now the noobs dictates the behavior orders in home??? interesting. There are many threads talking about the right behavior and the rules of home.

Photobucket

Message 16 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Aug 9, 2010

EdwCarnby wrote:

If all else fails, pop a game into the disc slot and offer them a match in your or their favorite game via game launch...

My personal favorite form of defense. Nothing better than seeing one of these once arrogant griefers saying "leave me alone" or "please stop inviting me". Oh, sweet irony.

Message 17 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
909 posts

Aug 9, 2010

Raven_Croft75 wrote:

+ Mute Now this function only works when your in the space. If you leave then the muted person gets unmuted. So as i said below its easier to just block them to begin with. Read below

Problem is, you can only block so many people.  If I had my way, I'd have everyone blocked from the start and let the decent human beings prove they're decent.  I want them to earn the right to address me.

---signature---
Thanks to nDreams and the new Xi, my PS3 froze during Xi's download process and put me in a perpetual loop of file restorations every time I start up my PS3. I can no longer play Playstation Home or any of my PS3 games. 600+ dollars spent on Home content, down the ****ing drain. I'm done with Playstation Home, I'm done with Sony, and I'm done with this site, as my current PS3 situation no longer warrants my being here. Bye everyone.
Message 18 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1513 posts

Aug 9, 2010
we were all noobs at one time
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1513 posts

Aug 9, 2010

also I've been apart of the home community since Nov 11 08, and dont have 1 person on my block list. you guys just let these kids get to you. report and walk away or leave the space if someone is really bothering you that bad. then staep back and take alook at your self cause there might just be more going on in your life and youe wanting to blam someone(noobs). just a though.Smiley Happy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 58 (17 Views)
0 Likes