Jun 01 2010
By: PaperCarrier Survivor 2641 posts

How often do you even use the game launching feature?

20 replies 15 views Edited Jun 1, 2010

I almost never participate in game launching events and when I setup a supported game launching session no one ever joins. 

I do occasionally use the basic game launching feature to just play games if I want to come back on home immediately after.

How about you? 

Message 1 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2239 posts

Re: How often do you even use the game launching feature?

Jun 1, 2010

it would be better if this was for every user in PS3 home not just the people in the server room that you are in.

Message 2 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Jun 1, 2010

I have used it a few times. It's a decent idea, but it takes so long to use. I think that is the biggest issue with it at this time. However, if you can plan a game launching party around it, it can be very fun.

I'm considering running a game launching Hustle Kings tournament again. http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-Clubs-Events/Hustle-Kings-game-launching-event/t...

Message 3 of 21 (15 Views)
Fender Bender
2897 posts

Jun 1, 2010

I have used it a few times in the past with Street Fighter IV, but that's about it. The reason for this is because the game launching method is extremely unefficient and, for most games, you don't even directly link up with your friend, you have to go through the menus just as though you started the game from your XMB, this just isn't good.

Game launching needs way more support from developers in order for it to be a success. Also, you shouldn't be force to re-enter Home once you're done, that just adds even more "wait time" and prolongs the period that you have to wait to ger back to the XMB, which is typically what I like to do as oppossed to going back in Home.

Message 4 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28368 posts

Jun 1, 2010

I've used game launching a few time with success. The only issues I've encountered were on the game Developers side of things. Otherwise it's pretty cool. Metting up with strangers and launching. Full launch does not require players to be on each other's Friend List, but I do recommend it in case of a disconnection.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 5 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3183 posts

Jun 1, 2010

the only way around not getting back on home is by hitting the ps button and selecting a profile say yes to quiting after getting out of the game just hit no to switching and your good to go

Message 6 of 21 (15 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Jun 1, 2010

Useless and Pointless Feature it is. Having to add people to ur friends list just to play a game. I don't think So!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 7 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28368 posts

Jun 1, 2010

DCS-Tekken wrote:

Useless and Pointless Feature it is. Having to add people to ur friends list just to play a game. I don't think So!

There are two forms of game launching from Home. One is full game launching which does not require gamers to be on each other's Friends List. This type of launching allows the Host to customize his/her game setting from within Home.

The other is universal game launch which does require players to be on each other's Friends List. This type of launching the Host will have to invite people from his/her Friends List while in the game's lobby. Customization also happens from within the game.

As stated earlier, I recommend adding co-players to your Friends List just in case of a disconnection.

Game launching from within Home allows participants the opportunity to discuss and strategize the game prior to playing. And then once the session is done and players have again returned to Home, they can discuss how they did when they were playing.

Now game launching from within Home may not be for everybody, but it is for some. For the folks who do game launch from Home, it is hardly pointless.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 8 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jun 1, 2010

This is exactly the only reason why I use gamelaunching in Home.  I hate it how, when you switch from playing a game to going into Home, you're automatically signed out of the network and have to log back in.  This is something I wish would be corrected. 

But to have gamelaunching where you can go into the actual same game as your friend would be great. 

Photobucket
Message 9 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5465 posts

Jun 1, 2010

I've only launched maybe 3-5 times and that was ONLY during the RE5 craze.  

Photobucket
Message 10 of 21 (15 Views)
0 Likes