Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

Re: How much do you think it costs Home developers to create these virtual items?

[ Edited ]
Nov 23, 2012

GunShot_Tech9 wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Home is making money. There wouldn't be so many new developers entering the home scene if it wasn't. On the other hand real gaming companies don't seem to think there is a reason for being here for the most part.  Sadly.

I suspect its beacause they want to encourage people to buy their games, and they likely have statistical data that suggests that people that use Home spend more time and money in Home and less on games outside of Home.   That would also explain why there has been a noticeable shift in the developers offering content for Home.  It used to be primarily game developers, and now it's primarily non game developers offering content for Home.

I suspect the majority of game developers will limit their presence in Home to advertising on posters and trailers in the theater, with only the occasional home item.

Interesting theory but if Microsoft's Xbox is a bluebrint to go on, your theory is wrong.

The Xbox ALWAYS receive retail game related content for their avatars, so I suspect the developers wants to cater to a much bigger install base. 

That's likely because, as anyone who has used XBL can tell you, it is NOTHING like Home.  Comparing the two is pointless, and these companies surely understand it.  In fact, if anything it just further proves that they are weary of supporting Home with content that might only encourage their customers to use Home and spend less time and money on their own games, where as with XBL avatars, there is no risk of losing customers attention.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 11 of 16 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

Re: How much do you think it costs Home developers to create these virtual items?

Nov 23, 2012

Scoop1942 wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:
I suspect its because they want to encourage people to buy their games, and they likely have statistical data that suggests that people that use Home spend more time and money in Home and less on games outside of Home....

That's hard to say. It may be true. Lots of people on my list play games though. I see them playing all the time. Many of them have quite a few platinums as well. Seems to me there could be a balance. Just disappointing for whatever reason. 

@D-Nitrate - While I would be willing to bet you're right that the marketing data shows that... it wouldn't necessarily account for why they wouldn't include unlockable HOME rewards in their games or at least rewards that unlocked upon purchase, etc... I know there are games I would likely buy or try (that I otherwise wouldn't) if there was something exclusive to be unlocked in HOME. Hell, why not throw something out there that is simple that you get for trying a demo or trial... far as I can tell, the HOME community FLOCKS to free stuff... what marketing data shows it's a bad idea to increase your customer base by increasing the number of peeps that try your free demo?

Except that in the early days of Home several games did include unlockable Home rewards, and now very few do...

Now consider the fact that the game industry is a multi billion dollar industry with some of the best marketing firms hired to improve sales, and to make decisions based on massive amounts of data on how best to promote their products.  While we may not have access to their board meetings, it isn't a stretch of the imagination to put two and two together, and speculate that the reason most stopped including unlockable Home rewards in their games is that their data showed it was not a successful way to promote their product.

Yes, clearly many people who use Home are still hardcore gamers, but I suspect the data shows most people who get hooked on Home spend a lot less time and money on games outside of Home.  In fact, I have heard first hand several people at club meetings saying the same thing.  As I mentioned in another thread,  by looking at someone's trophy list you can often pinpoint the time when they got hooked on Home based on the trophy dates.  

Not only that, but there have been several threads on this very forum with many people saying that once they got hooked on Home they play a lot less games.... Which isn't suprising anymore seeing as how much larger Home has become over the years, and how time consuming many of the games and tasks in Home are that unlock rewards.   Heck, some people spends several hours running around smashing eggs just to get some flower petals that blow by their avatar...  Others have spent countless hours trying to get a couple shellfish fossils from GZ's Fossil Hunting game.

These are hours that game developers would MUCH prefer their customers spend playing their games.... Which is also why they do support Microsoft's XBL with avatar items, as there is no incentive with XBL to not play games, as there is very little one can do with XBL avatars, as they do not have anything even remotely like PS Home.

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 12 of 16 (154 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 23, 2012

Here is the good news though.  While I doubt we will see a significant amount of content for Home from game develops, what we have seen and likely will see more of is some great original content from other developers, as it appears there is profit to be made, or at least potential profit to be made for developers who offer a wide range of products that appeal to Home users and that can build brand loyalty.

Lockwood is certainly a prime example of this business model, but there are others, like Granzella, nDreams, Juggernaught, Heavy Water, Digital Liesure, and Loot among others... All of which who often do a far better job communicating with their customers than Sony.

"Like it never happened"

Message 13 of 16 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1148 posts

Nov 23, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

Lockwood is certainly a prime example of this business model, but there are others, like Granzella, nDreams, Juggernaught, Heavy Water, Digital Liesure, and Loot among others... All of which who often do a far better job communicating with their customers than Sony.

Agreed.

After all, a dead dog does a better job of communicating with us than Sony does.

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 14 of 16 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Nov 23, 2012

Home does nt have many many game developers?lockwood,loot,ndreams ,juggernaut et all ARE game developers the only difference is that sony have provided them with a platform within home,a large potential userbase,a substantial amount of the marketing and publicity via the blog and no doubt plenty of good advice and marketing stats on what does and does not work within home.Basically sony provide them with the distribution infrastructure and the marketing that could take them a decade or so and a lot of money to acheive themselves at the same time minimising the risk of failure with a  concisely targeted demographic.

Home is like  basic  entry level access  to selling to a ps3 userbase a step  below selling digital products on the psn store.

Major games studios  dont need this leg up and help ,they already have their distribution and publicity they can sort through their own channels.they have  already attained the status  and consumerbase that many home developers would wish to achieve.

And i doubt home is the gravy train that many of us percieve as  already we ve seen a few third parties dropout

Message 15 of 16 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Nov 23, 2012
I think to make initial content it does cost the developer anywhere between a few hundred bucks to a couple of thousand and that's only after they take out the initial costs to set up the company and any previous submissions and projects to help them break even on their investment. After they break even it's not really the cost that's the problem but the time it takes to get the content they developed published and in Home.

If anything they definitely make a profit. Say that suit for No Man's Land that was 50 bucks for a good period of time. Imagine that cost 200-400 dollars in worker's pay, utilities and fees to make. All it would have had to do was sell a good 15-20 and they'd be UP! So now think back to when we got our first Locomotions and speed items. They were still pretty hefty on pricing and they sold by the bucketload. nDreams, LKWD, Hellfire and co were laughing all the way to the bank!

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 16 of 16 (102 Views)
0 Likes