A whole month later ? wow lol

Message 31 of 72 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

Re: How Often Do You Delete and Re-Install Home:

Dec 26, 2013

GM0530 wrote:

In 5 years i've never done it and besides the occasional lag and freezes every once in a great while Home works fine for me. Wardrobe can be a pain on occasion but mines loaded and i think everyone has that issue at times. Yep i've been lucky! Smiley Happy

(A little bit OT)

The wardrobe, the inventory and the furniture list can be massively (!) sped up by installing a SSD (that's a solid state "hard drive") into your PS3. I did it in one of my PS3 and I can see the difference when I run Home on two PS3 at the same time. It was/is the best investment ever.

Message 32 of 72 (194 Views)
Highlighted
Welcoming Committee
6038 posts

Dec 26, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I think Isp providers are deliberately slowing things down on purpose so they can get more money somehow.

I had a nightmare a couple weeks ago.  I woke up and my phone and internet were both dead.  I only have a landline and have never had a cell phone.  For about 24 hours I hoped it would come back on thinking it was some kind of outage.  After about a day I thought I will have to do something.  I thought I better go to a pay phone and call ATT.  Unfortunately this is when I started to feel like Rip Van Winkle.  I couldnt find one anywhere.   Fortunately I live across the street from the state capitol and thought yeah I will use one of their old pay phones they had in the old wooden stalls.  So as I am going through the search area I said to the guy "I forgot what floor are the pay phones on?"  he laughed and said they are no longer there.   This seemed to delight everyone there and about 6 people in suits and other people started laughing at me when I asked where there was a pay phone.   They no longer exist.  Which I think is wrong. I also think it was done on purpose so everyone has to have a cell phone which I refuse to get.   BTW I am not making this up it was a truly horrible experience.

Very interesting theory Abysmal.  

You definitely have a unique way of looking at things.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 33 of 72 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2998 posts

Dec 26, 2013

HotChick955 wrote:

(A little bit OT)

The wardrobe, the inventory and the furniture list can be massively (!) sped up by installing a SSD (that's a solid state "hard drive") into your PS3. I did it in one of my PS3 and I can see the difference when I run Home on two PS3 at the same time. It was/is the best investment ever.

Why would this be true when those items aren't stored on your hard drive any more?

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 34 of 72 (189 Views)
Welcoming Committee
6038 posts

Dec 26, 2013

GM0530 wrote:

A whole month later ? wow lol

Yes. It was a T-shirt I purchased from the DoubleSix space Burn Zombie Burn. I pretty much gave up on it.

It popped up a month later as a New item lol. I thought that was pretty funny I guess Sony has a sense of humor.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 35 of 72 (181 Views)
Sackboy
385 posts

Dec 26, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

(A little bit OT)

Why would this be true when those items aren't stored on your hard drive any more?

The furniture layout of your apartments and the current outfit of your avatar is not stored on your HD anymore. This was the big new thing in the 1.8 update. The little images in the wardrobe, furniture list and inventory are all always coming from Sony's servers. They are not taken from your HD, they are always downloaded from the network. When they are downloaded, then they will be cached on your hard drive to some extend. This caching process is what takes time on the usually slow mechanical 2.5" hard drives. Home (or is the OS of the PS3 itself?) is not very efficient when it comes to hard drive resources. Even taking a simple picture sometimes takes forever until it is finally saved on the hard drive.

After I installed the SSD in the PS3 everything (!) was instantly much faster. Opening the wardrobe, going to a new space, taking pictures... it is all super fast. For example: The wardrobe and furniture items are visible in the list about 1 second after I opened the wardrobe. When I go to a public space, all the other avatars only take a few seconds until I see all their clothing and LMOs. I rarely see any ghosts at all. On my other PS3, which is identical, except that it has a mechanical HD, everything takes much longer to load. There I can see lots of ghosts in the spaces and blinking dots in the wardrobe. This slow loading process is what the normal Home user is seeing.

Message 36 of 72 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3915 posts

Dec 26, 2013
Like... almost never.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 37 of 72 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Dec 26, 2013

I've had Home since the first few months of it's release, and I've never had to re-install it.

I haven't cleared my cache within the past few years either. I don't even know what problems people run into for them to require a re-install or cleared cache.

Photobucket
Message 38 of 72 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6038 posts

Dec 26, 2013

HotChick955 wrote:

VioletWinds wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

(A little bit OT)

The furniture layout of your apartments and the current outfit of your avatar is not stored on your HD anymore. This was the big new thing in the 1.8 update. The little images in the wardrobe, furniture list and inventory are all always coming from Sony's servers. They are not taken from your HD, they are always downloaded from the network. When they are downloaded, then they will be cached on your hard drive to some extend. This caching process is what takes time on the usually slow mechanical 2.5" hard drives. Home (or is the OS of the PS3 itself?) is not very efficient when it comes to hard drive resources. Even taking a simple picture sometimes takes forever until it is finally saved on the hard drive.

After I installed the SSD in the PS3 everything (!) was instantly much faster. Opening the wardrobe, going to a new space, taking pictures... it is all super fast. For example: The wardrobe and furniture items are visible in the list about 1 second after I opened the wardrobe. When I go to a public space, all the other avatars only take a few seconds until I see all their clothing and LMOs. I rarely see any ghosts at all. On my other PS3, which is identical, except that it has a mechanical HD, everything takes much longer to load. There I can see lots of ghosts in the spaces and blinking dots in the wardrobe. This slow loading process is what the normal Home user is seeing.

I've been looking at SSD. They are on the steep side when it comes to cost. I've also read that their reliability is sometimes a factor.

I agree though without mechanical moving parts the SSD would definitely benefit loading speeds on Home. 

The question for me though is if I'm willing to spend the extra money for the extra speed.Woman Happy

Message 39 of 72 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Dec 26, 2013

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

OPTIMYSPRYME wrote:

About every 6 mos. usually - Had to last night as it keeps freezing when trying to use Lockwood Gift Machine and a couple specific spaces. Still having issues after deleting/re-installing...anyone else?? Or any suggestions?

Which Gift Machine did you use? The one in Lockwood space or the free portable one we get.

free one in personal spaces...i have the orig. red one and the blue...both kick me out or freeze me.

Message 40 of 72 (151 Views)
0 Likes