Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Re: Home unlocks should be mandatory

Jul 25, 2010

tdarb wrote:

It should certainly be encouraged, and it would seem that it is being. I think Home unlocks are a great idea and i would love to see more in games.

i do not think they should be mandatory though. Let's face it, the PC and certain other consoles are easier to develop for. People choose to develop for the ps3 for various reasons. I would like to have as few hoops between development and deployment as possible. A mandatory Home rewards system would stifle a lot of the independent developers that may have an incredible game (flower, Hustle Kings, etc), but just don't have the staff or resources to justify making additional items when they can just as easily move to another market for their great game.

While the rewards would be really cool to have, I'm willing to sacrifice a nifty new couch from LBP2 so that we can continue to get innovative games and great content from developers we may never see otherwise.

PC may be easier to develop for, but it certainly isn't profitable these days. I, like many others, have stopped buying games for the PC because of the DRM issues that have popped up as of late. I have many games I absolutely love for PC, but can no longer play them because of the DRM issues, even though I bought and own the game myself. Game companies think that DRM saves them, but it really just hurts people like me, who purchase games for PC, then can't use them for one reason or another. Console games are much more profitable, because they are available to a larger group of people.

Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Message 11 of 17 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Jul 25, 2010

that-acmilan-guy wrote:

firehawk2324 wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

Sony can't force their partners to become involved with Home.

You seem to be forgetting something. All games must have trophies now. That is mandatory, by Sony, and the game developers must include them in any game that comes to PS3. That is why you never see a new game hitting shelves without trophies. They could easily make Home unlocks mandatory as well, however, I don't ever see them doing that.

Home is a free service, that Sony offers. Sony doesn't ever force anyone to use Home. There are plenty of people out there who do not like Home, and do not use it. Imagine being one of those people. You would get annoyed by constant in game pop ups saying you have unlocked something in Home. Not only is that annoying, it would border on forcing players to use Home. That would have the potential to drive away some of the customer base, and Sony would never risk it.

What are you talking about? They wont't force them because of some pop-ups that annoy people? Trust me, people should get used to pop-ups by now if you are connected to the psn. But I guess Sony cant force it, I just hope at the very least all 1st party titles have home unlocks.

You forget that some people need a reason to complain. Do you honestly think that someone who hates Home with a passion won't find reason to complain about Home pop-ups in their game?

Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Message 12 of 17 (3 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
26663 posts

Jul 25, 2010

firehawk2324 wrote:

All games must have trophies now. That is mandatory, by Sony, and the game developers must include them in any game that comes to PS3.

Again, Sony was only able to push this issue because their main competitor already had it.  If the competitor did not have some kind of reward or achievement program, then Sony pushing this idea would have lost it's partners as it would mean more time for development, more programming and more money spent. But since the competitor already had a reward syestem, Sony could make it mandatory for trophies to be implimented in third party games without gaming companies leaving due to trophies. Then -  Sony had leverage. Now -  it doesn't (with this issue).

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 13 of 17 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

Jul 25, 2010
@Conrad: Ok tell me this, When xbox 360 came out, it was the only console to have the achievements, the competitors did not have anything similar until a year or two. We still saw achievements in everygame.
Message 14 of 17 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5633 posts

Jul 25, 2010

footballrule wrote:

Seems Activision has noticed, because if you pre-order COD: Clack Ops, you get a cool cosume.

Really? I preordered (along with Brotherhood) and I was not told about PSHome stuff?

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 17 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Conrad_Max wrote:

firehawk2324 wrote:

All games must have trophies now. That is mandatory, by Sony, and the game developers must include them in any game that comes to PS3.

Again, Sony was only able to push this issue because their main competitor already had it.  If the competitor did not have some kind of reward or achievement program, then Sony pushing this idea would have lost it's partners as it would mean more time for development, more programming and more money spent. But since the competitor already had a reward syestem, Sony could make it mandatory for trophies to be implimented in third party games without gaming companies leaving due to trophies. Then Sony had leverage. Now it doesn't (with this issue).

Sony did it to "catch up", in a sense. But the fact still remains, they made it mandatory that all games have trophies. The reason for that doesn't matter. They could very easily do the same with Home content, but I don't think they will ever make it mandatory.

Why do you think that pushing game developers to have mandatory trophies would drive game companies away? Xbox started the trend, and they also make it mandatory. They didn't lose any game developers. In fact, they gained more, because game companies were interested in the concept.

Message 16 of 17 (3 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Other Platforms
This is first and foremost a PlayStation community. As such, discussions on our gaming forums should be PlayStation-oriented. Topics related to other gaming platforms may be deemed off-topic and removed at our discretion. Furthermore, platform vs. platform threads never end well, often resulting in a flame war. Please refrain from creating such threads on the forums.

Other Platforms

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 17 of 17 (3 Views)