Jul 25 2010
By: that-acmilan-guy Hekseville Citizen 273 posts

Home unlocks should be mandatory

16 replies 23 views Edited Jul 25, 2010

How did it feel when you wanted to try out the dead eye ver 2, 1st thing came to your mind was to shoot off the sumbereros of the two mexicans. To your pleasent surprise, you unlocked a pshome item...sumberero! I wish more and more, if not all games should feature home unlocks, either tied to the trophy or like Read Dead Redemption, in creative ways. Also there should be 1 item reserved for the platinum. I think it has a huge potential to further fuel the trophies and give us at least some sort of reward for our hard work.

Message 1 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Re: Home unlocks should be mandatory

Jul 25, 2010

Red dead Redemption did a good job with Home rewards. You seem users wearing them everywhere. It's all up to devs of the games though, sadly.

Message 2 of 17 (23 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Unless sony does something.

Message 3 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
28560 posts

Jul 25, 2010

It is up to the individual game Developers to decide whether they will support Home or not. If Sony were to make it mandatory, they would lose their third party partners as soon as their contracts expired. Now this did work for trophies due to the fact that Sony's main competitor already had something similar.

Sony can only ask for their support and offer it's assistance if needed. Sony is also depending on us to inform the individual game Developers of our interest in this type of program. We (Sony and us) need communicate the benefits such a program will have to the games and franchises of third party Developers. Such benefits include: game longevity, increased game sales, income from the sale of virtual items and spaces in Home, fan loyalty and more money.

And with used games, which added to income loss for gaming companies, with the Home connection, sales of virtual items may leviate some of that problem.

Sony can't force their partners to become involved with Home. But together as a team (Sony and us), we can certainly encourage those partners to take a chance by writing tio their forums and feedback threads and answering the comment cards that occasionally come with their games.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 4 of 17 (23 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jul 25, 2010

that-acmilan-guy wrote:

Unless sony does something.

Up to the devs of the game. Not every game company will make stuff for Home, and that is okay. I guess they don't see that by making Home rewards, they get more sales. - Mainly pre-order bonuses. Seems Activision has noticed, because if you pre-order COD: Clack Ops, you get a cool cosume.

Message 5 of 17 (23 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1003 posts

Jul 25, 2010
I agree. I think if Sony really want to push Home forward, it needs to start trying to get devs to integrate Home items as rewards. I'm not saying that'll increase the users, but if someone just gets on home to see the item they unlocked, the reward might just get them to use it more often.

Right now, it probably won't be mandatory, but on PS4, should Home transfer, I think it'll start becoming a requirement. If not for random achievements, at least for platinum. It's the least they could do.

Lev - Officer of LoS

Message 6 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2127 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Conrad_Max wrote:

Sony can't force their partners to become involved with Home.

You seem to be forgetting something. All games must have trophies now. That is mandatory, by Sony, and the game developers must include them in any game that comes to PS3. That is why you never see a new game hitting shelves without trophies. They could easily make Home unlocks mandatory as well, however, I don't ever see them doing that.

Home is a free service, that Sony offers. Sony doesn't ever force anyone to use Home. There are plenty of people out there who do not like Home, and do not use it. Imagine being one of those people. You would get annoyed by constant in game pop ups saying you have unlocked something in Home. Not only is that annoying, it would border on forcing players to use Home. That would have the potential to drive away some of the customer base, and Sony would never risk it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Message 7 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

Jul 25, 2010

firehawk2324 wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

Sony can't force their partners to become involved with Home.

You seem to be forgetting something. All games must have trophies now. That is mandatory, by Sony, and the game developers must include them in any game that comes to PS3. That is why you never see a new game hitting shelves without trophies. They could easily make Home unlocks mandatory as well, however, I don't ever see them doing that.

Home is a free service, that Sony offers. Sony doesn't ever force anyone to use Home. There are plenty of people out there who do not like Home, and do not use it. Imagine being one of those people. You would get annoyed by constant in game pop ups saying you have unlocked something in Home. Not only is that annoying, it would border on forcing players to use Home. That would have the potential to drive away some of the customer base, and Sony would never risk it.

What are you talking about? They wont't force them because of some pop-ups that annoy people? Trust me, people should get used to pop-ups by now if you are connected to the psn. But I guess Sony cant force it, I just hope at the very least all 1st party titles have home unlocks.

Message 8 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Jul 25, 2010

It should certainly be encouraged, and it would seem that it is being. I think Home unlocks are a great idea and i would love to see more in games.

i do not think they should be mandatory though. Let's face it, the PC and certain other consoles are easier to develop for. People choose to develop for the ps3 for various reasons. I would like to have as few hoops between development and deployment as possible. A mandatory Home rewards system would stifle a lot of the independent developers that may have an incredible game (flower, Hustle Kings, etc), but just don't have the staff or resources to justify making additional items when they can just as easily move to another market for their great game.

While the rewards would be really cool to have, I'm willing to sacrifice a nifty new couch from LBP2 so that we can continue to get innovative games and great content from developers we may never see otherwise.

Message 9 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Jul 25, 2010
Message 10 of 17 (23 Views)
0 Likes