Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Home's Future....or Lack thereof?

Feb 21, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

MRswaghappy wrote:

can anyone tell me whats missing from this?

The PlayStation 4 console, PlayStation Home and the fact that Jersquall is the new CEO of all things Sony. Smiley Very Happy

Well I think it's safe to say that if you were there would certainly be a Home on the PS4.

Message 151 of 301 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

MRswaghappy wrote:

can anyone tell me whats missing from this?

The PlayStation 4 console, PlayStation Home and the fact that Jersquall is the new CEO of all things Sony. Smiley Very Happy

Well I think it's safe to say that if you were there would certainly be a Home on the PS4.

**bleep** strait. Smiley Wink .:EDIT:. ''A dam is a barrier that impounds water or underground streams''

HomeStationMagazine
Message 152 of 301 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
252 posts

PS4 - I would like a PS Home reboot.

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013
I use Home, i like to collect items, rewards, and to see how the new spaces look.
Still, I feel that Sony really lost their vision about this project, and the current state of Home shows how the developers werent able to make the social platform for gamers that they wanted to. Right now Home feels so clunky, slow, and far... very far from what most people like: a nice and smooth experience where people who love PlayStation games can meet, talk about their hobby and interact with users that may want to play online togheter.

When i go to the hub, for example, im presented with music that honestly has nothing to do with playstation, and i dont understand how the central place of Home doesnt make me listen to some of the amazing music from my favourite games, like Journey (which has a beautiful soundtrack), LBP, Uncharted and many others.
Then i see a lot of ghost-like avatars that slowly appear, becoming thug-like characters, female avatars that seem to come out right from an adult movie, or in general avatars that wear things that honestly just look trashy. I like a lot of the virtual clothes made by Granzella and Lockwood, and i do smile at many of the funny costumes available - im not criticizing these.

After the avatars are loaded, i see plenty of people that are not spending time in an active way. I also find myself going into Home to say hi to a friend or two, and then i end up mostly looking at my ipad and leaving the tv screen and the application almost as a screensaver sort of thing.
There is a clear lack of options, despise many good minigames, to promote chatting about games or other things. Its not even possible to set a custom status without buying a Club and naming it in a certain way - this just shows how even basic options that CAN promote intelligent interactions between people are absent... Simple custom statuses could be conversation starters, or help to find people with the same games passion.
Simple options, completely ignored in all of these updates. Home just feels like a collage of really different ideas and incomplete experiments.
Why dont we have a simple and easy to read profile where we can list our favourite games, or objectives that we want to complete soon, like a certain trophy, or our will to play and win in some online mode of the ps title that we are currently playing. Maybe a profile easy to find and read while interacting with other avatars. There are many simple ways to turn a space where everyone is standing still to a virtual place full of interesting chat bubbles or conversations in group, but all of that requires incentives.

I started so many conversations by trying to find LBP2 players, i did find people with the game, and then ended up playing each other user created levels and giving opinions on it. These kind of interactions gave me a glimpse of what Home could really be.
Take the LBP space as an example: the navigator is made in a way that just prevents people from easily find game themed spaces. These quickly become forgotten, stuck into the never-ending explore section of the navigator. A beaufitul space like the lbp one, just desert and forgotten few weeks after it was released.

I dont know a thing about hardware, but i do realize that the ps3 is just too limited to offer bigger Home spaces, or a structure that can connect in a better way all the areas there are. The current version of Home reflects that, and i find it deeply flawed because of this reason; just a shadow of what it could be.

I did read the other Future of Home thread, and to be honest i found myself hoping for a reboot of Home. A new start that can go back to the original ideas, using the much improved PS4 to give us something... cool. I know that many users in this forum like the current version of Home, and i have seen many people hoping for it to appear in the same form on the new PlayStation - i respect this opinion... but I hope for a new fresh start, while still maintaining some basic settings of the one we are playing now. This is just my opinion, of course.

P.s.: sorry about eventual grammar mistakes, but english is not my primary language.
Message 153 of 301 (277 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

Question, Did you see the Playstation 2013 event yesterday? A few who had games to show said ''You don't know how long we have waited to show you this'' this is by design. there is so much they have to do to get to the point of "Here is what we are doing for PS4'' if and when any information regarding home on Ps4 is announced, we will hear from Sony directly.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 154 of 301 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4526 posts

Re: Home's Future..Or Lack thereof?

Feb 21, 2013

ipwnzj00 wrote:

It really isn't particularly surprising. Sony knows what's popular and what isn't, so for an introduction to the system of course they won't talk about everything. We'll probably see more at E3.

Home is a fairly small and loyal community, so of course they'll give it little notice in an area that's dominated by the mainstream. This whole announcement was to get the jump on the Microsoft, and they're probably just trying to attract 360 users. Hence it being so FPS focused.

Except they don't, and have not understood what's popular for a long time now.  Over the years Sony has gone from being an industry leader in most of their divisions to a follower, and have suffered greatly because of it.  In just the last 10 or so years they have seen their value shrink from 150 billion to just 15 billion, and they can't blame the economy, as many of their rivals have grown.  In the same amount of time Apple has grown from a 10 billion dollar company to one worth over 400 billion.

The fact is Sony has lost sight on what's popular, most likely because they have shown a tremendous lack of understanding or even concern over what their customers want or care about.  The fact that they wont even take a moment to reassure their customers that Home isn't going away any time soon, and haven't done any significant promotion for Home in over a year, suggests only two reasonable conclusions.

They have no intention of continuing Home in the future, or they are exceptionally bad at customer relations and communicating with their customers, even on issues that have caused disappointment, frustration, and anger - and speculation that the service is ending a lot sooner than many of us thought it would.

Instead, their silence only makes the situation all the more worse for everyone, including themselves, as I suspect it's having an immediate impact on sales of Home items.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 155 of 301 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2760 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Well, the ps4 is almost a year away. There are great many new ps3 titles set all the way through Dec 2013. Many things can happen in 10 months. I enjoy Home. Just as I buy and discard ps3 games, I will continue to buy and play Home until I no longer can. The ps4 announcement has no effect on my behavior.
Posted Image

Message 156 of 301 (247 Views)
I Only Post Everything
868 posts

Re: PS4 - I would like a PS Home reboot.

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

PinkJulia wrote:
I use Home, i like to collect items, rewards, and to see how the new spaces look.
Still, I feel that Sony really lost their vision about this project, and the current state of Home shows how the developers werent able to make the social platform for gamers that they wanted to. Right now Home feels so clunky, slow, and far... very far from what most people like: a nice and smooth experience where people who love PlayStation games can meet, talk about their hobby and interact with users that may want to play online togheter.

When i go to the hub, for example, im presented with music that honestly has nothing to do with playstation, and i dont understand how the central place of Home doesnt make me listen to some of the amazing music from my favourite games, like Journey (which has a beautiful soundtrack), LBP, Uncharted and many others.
Then i see a lot of ghost-like avatars that slowly appear, becoming thug-like characters, female avatars that seem to come out right from an adult movie, or in general avatars that wear things that honestly just look trashy. I like a lot of the virtual clothes made by Granzella and Lockwood, and i do smile at many of the funny costumes available - im not criticizing these.

After the avatars are loaded, i see plenty of people that are not spending time in an active way. I also find myself going into Home to say hi to a friend or two, and then i end up mostly looking at my ipad and leaving the tv screen and the application almost as a screensaver sort of thing.
There is a clear lack of options, despise many good minigames, to promote chatting about games or other things. Its not even possible to set a custom status without buying a Club and naming it in a certain way - this just shows how even basic options that CAN promote intelligent interactions between people are absent... Simple custom statuses could be conversation starters, or help to find people with the same games passion.
Simple options, completely ignored in all of these updates. Home just feels like a collage of really different ideas and incomplete experiments.
Why dont we have a simple and easy to read profile where we can list our favourite games, or objectives that we want to complete soon, like a certain trophy, or our will to play and win in some online mode of the ps title that we are currently playing. Maybe a profile easy to find and read while interacting with other avatars. There are many simple ways to turn a space where everyone is standing still to a virtual place full of interesting chat bubbles or conversations in group, but all of that requires incentives.

I started so many conversations by trying to find LBP2 players, i did find people with the game, and then ended up playing each other user created levels and giving opinions on it. These kind of interactions gave me a glimpse of what Home could really be.
Take the LBP space as an example: the navigator is made in a way that just prevents people from easily find game themed spaces. These quickly become forgotten, stuck into the never-ending explore section of the navigator. A beaufitul space like the lbp one, just desert and forgotten few weeks after it was released.

I dont know a thing about hardware, but i do realize that the ps3 is just too limited to offer bigger Home spaces, or a structure that can connect in a better way all the areas there are. The current version of Home reflects that, and i find it deeply flawed because of this reason; just a shadow of what it could be.

I did read the other Future of Home thread, and to be honest i found myself hoping for a reboot of Home. A new start that can go back to the original ideas, using the much improved PS4 to give us something... cool. I know that many users in this forum like the current version of Home, and i have seen many people hoping for it to appear in the same form on the new PlayStation - i respect this opinion... but I hope for a new fresh start, while still maintaining some basic settings of the one we are playing now. This is just my opinion, of course.

P.s.: sorry about eventual grammar mistakes, but english is not my primary language.

Great post. I completely relate to getting on Home and finding myself doing something else, like using my laptop or playing my PSP Go while occasionally glancing at the tv to see if there's any silly fighting or conversations going on around me. The music is also awful, it would've been great if the music WAS gaming related. I mean, why not just use music from 1st party games? Not that anything in particular comes to mind but just anything that doesn't require hoops to jump through to add into Home.

Home really is a mess, it tries to cater to far too many aspects while being mediocre at best at them all. If there's a phrase to best describe Home's ideology, it's "quantity over quality." The only consistent thing about Home is that they'll constantly add things for people to purchase, be it clothes, apartments, game "content," and so on. Most, if not all, that's particularly worthless in the end, as far as establishing some form of unified community. Let's hope the PS4 takes what they've learned from Home and start from scratch in a new and more positive direction.

P.S. And considering English is your second language, there's absolutely no reason to apologize for how you typed. It was impeccable, especially compared to what you'd normally see around here or on Home.

Message 157 of 301 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
252 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Thank you MapleStory.

I was confused for a while about where my thread did go, but i see that they merged it with this discussion.
I dont want to complain, but i thought that it was worthy of a separate discussion... I was proposing a reboot, and i would have loved to see more replies about that (it also took me a while to write and correct it). Now my post will be probably be skipped because its long and into a discussion with plenty of pages Smiley Sad
Message 158 of 301 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Feb 21, 2013

PinkJulia wrote:
Thank you MapleStory.

I was confused for a while about where my thread did go, but i see that they merged it with this discussion.
I dont want to complain, but i thought that it was worthy of a separate discussion... I was proposing a reboot, and i would have loved to see more replies about that (it also took me a while to write and correct it). Now my post will be probably be skipped because its long and into a discussion with plenty of pages Smiley Sad

Good post, I read through it and gave it a kudo. 

I only made a thread due to the fact that after the conference yesterday there wasn't any news regarding what's being done with Home. Didn't mean to steal your thunder there. 

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 159 of 301 (202 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
6759 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Hey all, 

Don't forget to leave your feedback/concerns in the official thread:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Official-PlayStation2013-Discussion-Thread/m-p/...

Message 160 of 301 (183 Views)