Fender Bender
2651 posts

Re: Home's Future....or Lack thereof?

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

It's hard to predict the future of Home on the PS4.  The press conference suggested innovative concepts to create social interactivity between gamers that make Home look a little bit stale.

That said, the PS3 probably has a few more years left in its life cycle and Home will likely stay open for business for that time frame.  I wouldn't start planning Home's wake just yet.

castle3
Message 11 of 301 (417 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Feb 21, 2013

The way i see it itll go down ans the biggest ponzi scheme in history and well all look like a bunch of silly gits for spending all that money on here and never get any of it refunded.

Message 12 of 301 (414 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 21, 2013
I have to agree. I mean why even bother trying to stream it in Home if there was nothing to show Home-wise?
Message 13 of 301 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3345 posts

Feb 21, 2013

I think it's interesting that they are blending the PSN ID's with Facebook real world identities in the system UI for the PS4, and allowing you to use real photos of yourself. I do wonder how many people that use Home would actually link their identities and not a fake Facebook profile for their avatar.

Message 14 of 301 (415 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Feb 21, 2013

KarateChampChad wrote:

ne1atall wrote:

I noticed that too. I think they are saving some things for E-3. They'd be foolish to stop supporting Home. It would alienate a loyal fan base that spends a lot of money.

I didn't think of that, that's a possibility though. Saving the details for later and getting the meat of the news out today. Then again, Home isn't just "detail" to a bunch of us, so why wait until later? 

They left out other things that would be considered more than just "details". No look at the system. Now prices. No firm release dates. I don't even recall HDD sizes being mentioned.

Message 15 of 301 (411 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4495 posts

Re: Home's Future...Or Lack thereof?

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

Why a case can be made that Sony has given up on Home.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Why-a-case-can-be-made-that-Sony-has-given-u...

All things considered, is it really a surprise that they never once mentioned Playstation Home during the announcement?

Considering the current state of disrepair, the lack of content from Sony, another core update missing numerous chnages and features that have been asked for in some cases years, and practically no response on any of these issues from our community manager.

Now consider how little Sony has promoted Home over the last year or more. It would be hard for Sony to show much less interest in Home as they do right now other than to shut it down completely.

As mentioned before, it's quite possible the only reason Sony has not pulled the plug on Home is for legal reasons, as they most likely have contractual agreements with many if not all the 3rd party developers who are still supporting Home. Most of these companies are quite small, and could never afford to spend resources on creating content and support for Home if they did not have some kind of guarantee from Sony to continue to keep Home on the servers and offer at least some kind of basic support for it.

Will Home, or a new version of Home make it to the PS4? Maybe, but if it is managed the same way as they have managed Home on the PS3 over the last four years, and don't make a change in leadership, I doubt it will succeed.

If Sony does have plans to continue to support Home and include it on the PS4 they have done a pretty lousy job at conveying and reassuring their customers of that.

I would only argue that the fault of that (lack of interest in Home by more PS3 users) lies completely in Sony's leadership and management of Home.  Rarely have I ever seen a product with such tremendous potential get so badly mismanaged and see so many opportunities wasted as I have seen over the years with Home.

If and when it ends, it will likely be remembered as a colossal failure and missed opportunity on Sony's part, resulting in hoards of disappointed, frustrated and angry customers, who may never forgive Sony for their incompetence.  Even the worst run companies have a hard time fowling up this badly in terms of customer relations and missed opportunities.

I feel bad for the Home staff that are not responsible for any of the problems with Home... I certainly would not want an association with Home on my resume when looking for new work.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 16 of 301 (388 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Feb 21, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

I think it's interesting that they are blending the PSN ID's with Facebook real world identities in the system UI for the PS4, and allowing you to use real photos of yourself. I do wonder how many people that use Home would actually link their identities and not a fake Facebook profile for their avatar.

considered how [psn handles morderation expect to see whaty people expected miiverse too look like but wasnt because of how much better the moderation is

a parade of mr happys.

Message 17 of 301 (388 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Feb 21, 2013

CommaderKoopa wrote:

The way i see it itll go down ans the biggest ponzi scheme in history and well all look like a bunch of silly gits for spending all that money on here and never get any of it refunded.

Why would you get it refunded? You spent that to enjoy whatever item of clothing or personal space or companion or whatever. If they closed Home tomorrow you got your monies worth. Do you ask for a refund when the movie is over?

Message 18 of 301 (381 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Feb 21, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

CommaderKoopa wrote:

Why would you get it refunded? You spent that to enjoy whatever item of clothing or personal space or companion or whatever. If they closed Home tomorrow you got your monies worth. Do you ask for a refund when the movie is over?

no but when i buy a dvd and the film studio breaks into my home and steals it from me i expect to be compensated at least. or they could stop molesting the llama i keep in the back yard.

Message 19 of 301 (366 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Feb 21, 2013

i'm not gonna panic much about Home's future until E3 or whatever other Sony events are coming this year.

if no mention of anything about Home at E3, then i'll be concerned. 

being that this Playstation Meeting was only about an hour or a little more than an hour, i really didnt expect much from it only that they would unveil PS4. 

until we hear official word on Home's future, not much we can do.

"human contact is awesome, try it sometimes"
Message 20 of 301 (367 Views)
0 Likes