Highlighted
Mar 24 2007
By: Silverback7~ Sackboy 485 posts

Home's Cross-marketing master plan.

7 replies 6 views Edited Mar 24, 2007
Step 1:  Introduce Home and have avatars where everyone is pretty much a stock variation on a human with the same scenic view.  This creates demand for avatars and living quarters that are specialized.

Step 2:  Create unlockable heroes, villains, and other customizable avatars that only come with certain games, i.e. Ratchet and Clank avatars with the new Ratchet and Clank game, etc.  This creates demand for games.

Step 3:  Expand HOME content using environments and unique decor that can only be accessed with the purchase of certain games, i.e. environments within the game expanded /adapted to PS  HOME.  Portal keys are a way to do this.

Suddenly you have a very colorful dynamic environment.

PSN ID: Silverback73 www.otdclan.com

Are you Older Than Dirt?
Message 1 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Re: Home's Cross-marketing master plan.

Mar 24, 2007
...No
deep, titanic, make the dance panic, one-a-penny, two-a-penny, vibe you can't manage

My Hiscores | infrared Gaming Community
Message 2 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Mar 24, 2007
Oh YES.  Something like this WILL happen.  Sony is not into entertainment.  Sony is into the business of entertaining.

Message Edited by Silverback7 on 03-24-2007 05:32 AM

Are you Older Than Dirt?
Message 3 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Mar 24, 2007

Silverback7 wrote:
Oh YES. Something like this WILL happen. Sony is not into entertainment. Sony is into the business of entertaining.

Message Edited by Silverback7 on 03-24-2007 05:32 AM

Very simple.
deep, titanic, make the dance panic, one-a-penny, two-a-penny, vibe you can't manage

Message 4 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Mar 25, 2007
That is a very nice read and has validity.  However, Sony has shown through their business model that you will have your classic HOME access available to all, and then you will pay for upgrades.  This coincides with their tried and true philosophy of pursuing mulitple revenue streams.  I admit that the portal idea is the most radical, but it makes sense from a business standpoint in that it is lucrative for both the software devs and Sony.   Primarily an idea of this sort appeals to hardcore gamers, but at  the very least, special things will be made available to players who purchase from certain software companies and made available within the "universal" playground.

Do I get what you mean?  You bet I do.  Inclusionary experiences must be balanced with exclusionary unlockables and special  $$$ offers, but there is just too much money to be made not  offer the latter.  The trick is to find the balance.

Thanks for the link.

Are you Older Than Dirt?
Message 5 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Mar 25, 2007
That's interesting because right now I see everyone in home as looking like young kids from Seattle or a "Back to School Special".  I'd much rather have at least one area that is more Mos Eisley and less High School Musical...

Are you Older Than Dirt?
Message 6 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Mar 25, 2007

Silverback7 wrote:
That is a very nice read and has validity. However, Sony has shown through their business model that you will have your classic HOME access available to all, and then you will pay for upgrades. This coincides with their tried and true philosophy of pursuing mulitple revenue streams. I admit that the portal idea is the most radical, but it makes sense from a business standpoint in that it is lucrative for both the software devs and Sony. Primarily an idea of this sort appeals to hardcore gamers, but at the very least, special things will be made available to players who purchase from certain software companies and made available within the "universal" playground.
Do I get what you mean? You bet I do. Inclusionary experiences must be balanced with exclusionary unlockables and special $$$ offers, but there is just too much money to be made not offer the latter. The trick is to find the balance.
Thanks for the link.

Hey no problem, and thanks. But I would just find it silly--and very annoying, if everyone was, for example, walking around in a Darth Vader suit or Killzone outfit. This would kind of shy away from the whole idea in my point of view.

Message Edited by default001 on 03-24-2007 10:20 PM

Message 7 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Mar 25, 2007

Silverback7 wrote:
That's interesting because right now I see everyone in home as looking like young kids from Seattle or a "Back to School Special". I'd much rather have at least one area that is more Mos Eisley and less High School Musical...

Haha, what?

Message 8 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes