Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Nearly every new item in Home now does things that items didn't do in the past. That means more development and a higher price tag. It also demonstrates that developers are at last breaking even on the service, because they're continuing to put the effort into creating new items. If it was a zero-sum or money-losing game, we'd be seeing much less innovation.

Besides the fact the the vast majority of 'new' items in Home are hardly innovative and often just slightly different versions or even just different colored versions of items previously released... As stated before, we likely see some innovation because devs are struggling to catch the attention of a dwindling market place... And they can do that with innovative items that their competitors have yet to offer.  The idea or notion that innovation in Home is because Home devs are doing so well is just foolish, and if you were truly an 'insider' you would know this isn't true.

That said if you still feel pricing has to do with development costs, maybe you will accept the word of an actual Home developer:

GameMechanics wrote:

One of the rumors flying around is that prices reflect development cost. While it helps quiet the disgruntled forum complainers, for Game Mechanics it is mostly not true.

And before you keep repeating this...

HearItWow wrote:

Remember that nearly every Home developer could just as easily be spending their time developing something else. Why would they still work on Home if it didn't make business sense? 

HearItWow wrote:

Other than a few recent personal spaces/clubhouse skins, what has "overinflated prices"?

Products are priced at what the market will bear, but there are still costs that must be absorbed, and it simply costs more to make an LMO than it does to make a shirt. That's pretty basic.

And which developers aren't working on other projects?

Granzella: Game Developer

Peakvox: Game Developer

Heavy Water: Publishing Tool Developer

Lockwood: Virtual World Developer

Loot: Game developer

nDreams: Game/App Developer

Mass Media: Pubilishing Platform/Dev Kit Developer

Those are just the devs that have announced projects outside of Home. If Home's losing money, why are they still here?

You might want to read this...

GameMechanics wrote:

Increasing prices is not about gouging, it is about survival. Sony set the pricing standards when there were very few items. Then they sold a ton of them. I know. I worked on a good chunk of those items. Then they walked out and left the place for the 3rd party developers. But several 3rd party developers left. Mass Media and JetSet Games are gone. Those two did not leave for any other reason than they did not think they could make enough money at it to make it worth their time.

There are only two ways to make more money: sell more units or raise the prices. Since we and most other developers are taking advantage of all the marketing opportunities in Home, the logical conclusion is that the only opportunity left is to raise prices. Not because we are greedy, but because we want to keep making things for Home.

So besides JetSet Games and Mass Media, you can also scratch off Heavy Water from your list of supposedly active Home devs.  So are you still convinced Home devs are doing just fine?

It's time to get real, and face the fact that Home is dying and it desperately needs Sony's attention if it has any chance of survival, and simply raising prices to make up for the loss of paying customers is only going to make it die faster.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 81 of 122 (281 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1406 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Its theories like the one voiced by game mechanics here that make me not shop certain develpoers. Ideas like this have placed game mechanics on that list for me. As long as you raise prices you are going to lose customers... your survival is in your own hands
Message 82 of 122 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
447 posts

Jul 10, 2013
And this is why Im indifferent if they were to remove home, move it to ps4, or just keep it to ps3. Any option, will make me happy. Also, you have people who have bought all possible places and their respectful item bundles? Not sure if I should say what I think of that, but Im glad he, or she, is enjoying their virtual homes Smiley Happy
Message 83 of 122 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jul 10, 2013

So why would developers still be working on Home if it didn't make business sense? That's kinda the crux of the argument here.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 84 of 122 (258 Views)
Highlighted
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

Jul 10, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

So why would developers still be working on Home if it didn't make business sense? That's kinda the crux of the argument here.

We do it because we like it. Others have made business decisions and left.

Message 85 of 122 (252 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

Jul 10, 2013

MrFirstPlayer wrote:
Its theories like the one voiced by game mechanics here that make me not shop certain develpoers. Ideas like this have placed game mechanics on that list for me. As long as you raise prices you are going to lose customers... your survival is in your own hands

So we should have remained quiet to stay off your list?

Noted.

Message 86 of 122 (250 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Yeah, this doesnt sound too good to me. AND it's not very reassuring.

So basically, Home's fate is essentially in OUR hands, as the consumer. If we buy MORE of your product, you break even or make profit and gives you incentive to stick around. When Devs stick around...Home has a purpose to exist. Without the Devs...Home is basically nothing. If we choose NOT to buy from you, or buy LESS...youre not making your money back, let alone making any profits...and that gives you incentive to pull out and withdraw from Home.

Thats business. And from a business perspective, it does make sense.

But, you have to take into consideration...not everyone is gonna buy your stuff. Not everyone is gonna like your prices. Not everyone is gonna like your business strategy. If you dont appeal to the consumer...your business will not thrive - common sense.

Like I said...this doesnt make ME feel any better about where Home is going, as far as it's future is concerned. Because if enough Devs decide that it's not worth it...Sony will eventually decide to close Home and shut the servers down.

Jersquall mentioned, yesterday that...although some Devs DO leave and withdraw from Home...new ones come in and replace them. Okay, this is true. But how long do you think that particular strategy is gonna work? You cant possibly think you can keep switching out Dev's like pieces on a chess board, everytime one of them decides to leave....and think that bandaid will keep Home thriving indefinately. THAT is NOT the solution to the bigger problem, here. And it's not gonna work, much longer.

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 87 of 122 (236 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

Jul 10, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

We do it because we like it. Others have made business decisions and left.

Exactly.  That and as HeartItWow should know as it's been brought up several times before, and is commonly known in just about every industry, many companies, especially small ones, try to succeed where others have failed.  It likely also explains why most of the big developers stopped supporting Home a long time ago, and what we have left are mostly very small companies with very little overhead, and that do not need to see huge returns to break even or justify allocating resources to a modest if not losing enterprise.

I for one thank you John for letting your passion rather than profits drive you to continue to support Home... I just wish Sony had done a much better job managing and promoting Home so that it could have had a better chance of having millions of active users, and not thousands.  I have no doubt you would have been very successful and rewarded for your hard work without having to charge inflated prices to make up for the lack of potential volume.

I'm still holding out hope Sony (or someone) can turn things around for Home.  It still has such amazing potential that even with some modest changes it could likely improve quite dramatically.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 88 of 122 (225 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1406 posts

Jul 10, 2013
You should engage in fair pricing to remain in everyone's purchase list.
Message 89 of 122 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13189 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I don't get this thread and everyone here expect the tags

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 90 of 122 (185 Views)
0 Likes