Treasure Hunter
4505 posts

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

I'm sorry, but when LKWD sells a re-skinned LMO mount (gold motorcycle) that they developed long ago for close to $5 - in no way does that represent increased development cost.  

D-Nitrate. There is no such thing as re-skinned. I have heard this about estates also. ''They just re-skinned it'' not as simple as just picking a color.

LOL

If you wanted to distract the issue with a red herring, just say so.

Now why don't you address the obvious point, and share with us what you think is the tremendous development cost of changing their LMO Motorcycle to the gold version that justifies the price tag - and how that and especially items that are not even "limited" cost as much as many PSN games with thousands of hours of development costs.

Or even address any of the other points you so clearly ignored.

It's no wonder you and GW were such good buddies...

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 41 of 122 (365 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
223 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I have always said im not so sure about Sony raking in the dough because of HOMEs . A lot of companties have a very thing profit margin line and the more hands oyu add the thinner that line gets. I like to think they make some profit or at least breaks even, it would help go a long way to keep home around. After reading an artical that was posted in another thread, im almost positive home will be around....on the ps3. I dont think thats such a bad thing. If i had to wager I would guess many will keep their ps3 even after the ps4 launch and long after. I still have 3 ps2. I do wish the big wigs that have the power to say something about HOME yes or no on the new system. We, well most of us are big boys and girls we can hadle it no matter if its not what we want to hear. I do believe home can last on the ps3 for several more years if WE the users keep supporting it but if Home goes into the red profit wise then the end could be sooner then one thinks because the line between black and red is very thin.

lightning photo tumblr_m9obahTLDP1ra3qoqo1_500_zpsdad312cd.gifthank you BMW
Message 42 of 122 (362 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jun 20, 2013

I hate to inform you on this, but it is INFACT reskinning. It is a very simple process, UNLESS it includes lighting and shading of somekind. IE, hollywood hills nighttime they changed the lighting and the shadows, so that took some time. Releasing 8 color variations of a motorcycle, would take 1 person about 2 hours to replicate the model with a different color.

Message 43 of 122 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Jun 20, 2013

I plan to stay on home as long as I can. If it makes it's way to PS4, I would buy one of those too, and play on both systems. I still have a working ps2 by the way and I still use that too,lol. I guess I am pretty much a sony fan,as one product I bought from them leads to others. In the past year, I have spent more money on Home than on anything else Sony has, but, I have been buying other sony products because I heard of them in and around Home,lol

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 44 of 122 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
19 posts

Jun 20, 2013
I spend a lot of money on home. More than I do on games. If Sony doesn't have Home on PS-4 I refuse to buy it. If Home goes away on PS-3 I will not buy another PS-3 game. I'll buy another platform and spend my money there.
Message 45 of 122 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
380 posts

Jun 20, 2013

"A clock loses it's luster after the gears are revealed behind the face".

Message 46 of 122 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 20, 2013

Development costs are going up because Home content is more complex than it was even a year ago. LMOs require extensive scripting and testing. Add in some time at a MOCAP studio and you're looking at a more expensive item.

Active Items now need to live within aggressive memory limits to become popular. The less memory you have, the more time you need to spend figuring out how to make the thing do what you want and look good without a big footprint. (Mad props to Game Mechanics for that 1-slot giant clock. How about making some Galaxian? Smiley Tongue )

Personal spaces don't sell unless they've got all kinds of features baked into them. Those take time to develop.

Nearly every new item in Home now does things that items didn't do in the past. That means more development and a higher price tag. It also demonstrates that developers are at last breaking even on the service, because they're continuing to put the effort into creating new items. If it was a zero-sum or money-losing game, we'd be seeing much less innovation.

Remember that nearly every Home developer could just as easily be spending their time developing something else. Why would they still work on Home if it didn't make business sense?

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 47 of 122 (259 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4505 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 20, 2013

Besides the fact that most of everything you said is pure conjecture, you also clearly have cherry picked specific items and applied their cost to the vast majority of items released in Home today that do not require any additional costs, like mo-cap.

Bottom line is there isn't a single item in Home that cost as much to develop as PSN games that sell for about, and in some cases even less then those item in Home.  You know as well as I do that the reason for that is very simple - Home doesn't have enough potential buyers in order for developers to lower their price and make up for it in volume.

Seriously - enough of the excuses - and enough of the "development costs are rising" nonsense to attempt to justify over inflated prices that CLEARLY have extremely low development costs, especially compared to PSN games and DLC.  

The fact is their customer base is shrinking and to make up for it they have to raise prices.  Unfortunately it isn't a sustainable business model - which is yet another indicator of the direction Home is headed that some still can't wrap their heads around.

As for this comment:

HearItWow wrote:
Remember that nearly every Home developer could just as easily be spending their time developing something else. Why would they still work on Home if it didn't make business sense?

Except for one, that in many cases that simply is not true, especially for the small developers with few opportunities and experience.  

For another, the biggest expense many of these small developers have is the ramp up costs (hardware, software, dev kits, license agreements, etc) and to switch to an entirely different project would add far more costs.

It is also for this same reason that their dev costs actually go down over time, instead of going up as you suggest.

It's really rather simple though, if Home was such a great businesses model for developers why then do we not have more developers?  Why have so many stopped or cut way back on developing content for Home?  Why have almost all the large developers stopped making or even licensing content for Home? 

It should be pretty obvious by now why the developers that are left are mostly very small operations, with very little overhead.. And yet even some of them have clearly given up or cut way back on their support for Home, like Heavy Water, Mass Media, and many others.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 48 of 122 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

Jun 20, 2013
Smiley Sad
RED
Message 49 of 122 (219 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 20, 2013

Other than a few recent personal spaces/clubhouse skins, what has "overinflated prices"?

Products are priced at what the market will bear, but there are still costs that must be absorbed, and it simply costs more to make an LMO than it does to make a shirt. That's pretty basic.

And which developers aren't working on other projects?

Granzella: Game Developer

Peakvox: Game Developer

Heavy Water: Publishing Tool Developer

Lockwood: Virtual World Developer

Loot: Game developer

nDreams: Game/App Developer

Mass Media: Pubilishing Platform/Dev Kit Developer

Those are just the devs that have announced projects outside of Home. If Home's losing money, why are they still here?

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 50 of 122 (213 Views)