Treasure Hunter
5806 posts

Re: Home User Scam

Aug 29, 2010

chrismsandvig wrote:

Wouldn't that be account scamming moreso?

It could be but at the sametime the offender is Pretending to be a PSN official.

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 27 (19 Views)
Sackboy
506 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Rene_Led wrote:

chrismsandvig wrote:

Wouldn't that be account scamming moreso?

It could be but at the sametime the offender is Pretending to be a PSN official.

then screw it and report him for both of them. lol.

Signature for ChrisMSandvig
Message 22 of 27 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Rhedshirt wrote:

Thanks Conrad.

I know posting names is a no no, but since this user obviously made a new account with a specific name for scamming people and looking official, I just assumed it was ok to post it. I wouldn't post a name that actually looked like a user name, but people who make these fake accounts to screw people over really worry me.. I'd feel guilty if I did nothing and let this guy get away with hurting others.

You can do what I did in the past - I took a digital image of some PM's sent to me via Home - and then forwarded them to the appropriate people.

JPConway

Message 23 of 27 (19 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28880 posts

Aug 29, 2010

chrismsandvig wrote:

Then screw it and report him for both of them. lol. 

If the actual offense is not listed, pick the closest available. Even so, if there is nothing similar, the Moderators go beyond what was reported and look for any other offense that the reportee may not have noticed. Thus, if we report someone for impersonating an official, the Moderators will notice that not only is there an imposter, but in the background someone is "dancing" inappropriately and another is swearing up a storm in the chat log.

The whole report is examined. Including the chat and behavior of the person(s) who sent in the report.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 24 of 27 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
506 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Conrad_Max wrote:

chrismsandvig wrote:

Then screw it and report him for both of them. lol. 

If the actual offense is not listed, pick the closest available. Even so, if there is nothing similar, the Moderators go beyond what was reported and look for any other offense that the reportee may not have noticed. Thus, if we report someone for impersonating an official, the Moderators will notice that not only is there an imposter, but in the background someone is "dancing" inappropriately and another is swearing up a storm in the chat log.

The whole report is examined. Including the chat and behavior of the person(s) who sent in the report.

Then im a heck of a Mountain climbing SnowMan, Lol. Thanks for telling me this. i only read it in 1/20th of your posts so im well aware. But once again thanks cause im sure SOMEONE didnt know.

Signature for ChrisMSandvig
Message 25 of 27 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
704 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Unfortunately..  I have seen many people do the same thing. he ain't the only one. I usually just report them immediately!

Message 26 of 27 (19 Views)
Highlighted
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
2875 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Rhedshirt wrote:

Ok.. so I'm standing in the gamescon space and some guy *with an official sounding account name* is mailing everyone there with a very official sounding letter telling ppl to reply with their user ID's and passwords to be a part of some new Playstation Network features..

I'm pretty sure no one who uses these forums is gonna fall for this, but it really makes me worry about some of the younger, more naive, users on Home giving this jerk their passwords.. but I screwed up. I left the space before I even opened this guys mail, so I didn't get a chance to report him.. but I figured I should post some kinda warning here anyway, in case anyone else see's this person running around and can do something about it.

I really hope this guy gets banned fast before someone actually gives him their password... 

(edited to remove the user name even though I'm pretty sure it's not a common player account and was made just for scams..)

As always, PLEASE submit reports on scam or phishing operations. Moderation will handle this.

Hit Select > Submit a Report.

Message 27 of 27 (19 Views)