Highlighted
Aug 29 2010
By: Rhedshirt Lombax Warrior 106 posts

Home User Scam

26 replies 112 views Edited Aug 29, 2010

Ok.. so I'm standing in the gamescon space and some guy *with an official sounding account name* is mailing everyone there with a very official sounding letter telling ppl to reply with their user ID's and passwords to be a part of some new Playstation Network features..

I'm pretty sure no one who uses these forums is gonna fall for this, but it really makes me worry about some of the younger, more naive, users on Home giving this jerk their passwords.. but I screwed up. I left the space before I even opened this guys mail, so I didn't get a chance to report him.. but I figured I should post some kinda warning here anyway, in case anyone else see's this person running around and can do something about it.

I really hope this guy gets banned fast before someone actually gives him their password... 

(edited to remove the user name even though I'm pretty sure it's not a common player account and was made just for scams..)

Message 9 of 27 (112 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Re: Home User Scam

Aug 29, 2010

Wow....I would definitely use the complaint form on the PS website for starters since you didn't submit a report in Home. Someone like that needs to apprehended immediately :/

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 1 of 27 (112 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Thanks for the heads-up! now people will know who to add to their block list.....

(i would give u kudos but junior rank blocks me from doing so)

*Wisper-Wyre Forever*
Message 2 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Aug 29, 2010

And also, I would attach a copy of the message this user sent you while making the report.

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 3 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Aug 29, 2010

KarateChampChad wrote:

And also, I would attach a copy of the message this user sent you while making the report.

I'm actually not sure how to do that lol. I protected the mail in my folder so that I could, but I'm not sure where to go to submit a report outside of Home.

Oh, and while I was making this topic, another user just mailed me only with the subject "psn card codes"... not sure how they exactly plan to scan ppl with that one though.

Message 4 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Rhedshirt wrote:

KarateChampChad wrote:

I'm actually not sure how to do that lol. I protected the mail in my folder so that I could, but I'm not sure where to go to submit a report outside of Home.

Oh, and while I was making this topic, another user just mailed me only with the subject "psn card codes"... not sure how they exactly plan to scan ppl with that one though.

Someone is popular this evening lol.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to attach a message to the complaint form myself, all I know is, I had a friend call Sony and report a specific user for harassment through a message, and they told him to send them a copy of the message itself. As for how you get that to them, I can't say for sure. Email maybe of the exact words in the message? 

Message 5 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
909 posts

Aug 29, 2010

I get that message at least 10 times a week, but from people I've known for months on PSN as decent people.  Someone's hacking accounts and making my friends send me this spam, because my friends never seem to recall sending them.  I've even lost a few because I actually believed they sent spam to me, when really it was some hacker.

---signature---
Thanks to nDreams and the new Xi, my PS3 froze during Xi's download process and put me in a perpetual loop of file restorations every time I start up my PS3. I can no longer play Playstation Home or any of my PS3 games. 600+ dollars spent on Home content, down the ****ing drain. I'm done with Playstation Home, I'm done with Sony, and I'm done with this site, as my current PS3 situation no longer warrants my being here. Bye everyone.
Message 6 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28577 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Rhedshirt wrote:

Ok.. so I'm standing in the gamescon space and some guy named...

1) Posting the name of an alleged scammer is a no-no in the forums. It can get you into trouble. What if someone had a grudge against you and posted that you were a scammer on this forum? How would it affect you here and in Home. It would be a good idea to edit your message and remove the name.

2) I recommend using the PlayStation®Network File a Complaint Form to report any inappropriate messages that you recieve. I suggest Protecting the messages as I do not know if the Network Modewrators are able to read messages once they have been deleted. I'd keep the messages for about a week or two.

3) Click on the link above and add it to your computer's Favorites for quick and easy access. There is a good chance that you will be using it again as long as you are a member of the PlayStation community.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 7 of 27 (112 Views)
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Thanks Conrad.

I know posting names is a no no, but since this user obviously made a new account with a specific name for scamming people and looking official, I just assumed it was ok to post it. I wouldn't post a name that actually looked like a user name, but people who make these fake accounts to screw people over really worry me.. I'd feel guilty if I did nothing and let this guy get away with hurting others.

Message 8 of 27 (112 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1433 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Pfff  those are old news, just block that user, this happens everyday in home and PSN.

Photobucket

Message 10 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes