Oct 03 2012
By: FalconPunchKill Lombax Warrior 79 posts
Accepted Solution

Home Tycoon: Feedback and General Discussion

703 replies 4292 views Edited Oct 3, 2012

From the time I've been playing, Home Tycoon seems like lighthearted fun so far. The music is pleasantly relaxing, soft and upbeat, and the visuals are brightly colored and a little playful. It doesn't seem to require much of a guide, seeing as how the game explains itself, but I thought I'd create a thread for user feedback and general discussion. The first thing I noticed was in the dialogue: at first Magnus Keynes wanted to get some citizens immediately without even having power or water so that he could start making money, and I thought it would help him make money if the citizens were happier. Sure enough, it turns out that a little later he contradicts his original position by saying that he needs the citizens to be happy to make money after the water supply runs low. Just a minor script error, but I'm not sure it even matters in a game largely intended to be whimsical like this. I also noticed that you will receive the same messages in the story missions even if they don't actually apply to you. For example, if you already have the building(s) required in the upcoming mission before you start it, the messages will still assume that you don't. This happened to me with the fire department, which made the poor logic very apparent because the fire chief screams at you for not having a fire department yet. I think the settings automatically start with your city on public mode, because random structures were appearing on my map, but this setting can be changed in the options menu from the mayor's office. I also found it interesting that your fresh water sources and power don't even need to be connected to your buildings in order to work, and cars appear and disappear from the road randomly, even right in the middle of it. If you get in the path of a moving car, it will simply keep driving at full speed and push you forward, causing you to run rapidly. xD

Overall, I've had a great first impression and I'd like to commend Hellfire for making this city simulator.

Lion Signature
Message 1 of 704 (4,292 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
356 posts

Re: Home Tycoon: Feedback and General Discussion

Oct 3, 2012

Just playing through the tutorial I enjoyed Tycoon. Just some initial thoughts on what I'd like to see.

- I wish the boundries for building were more clearly defined right at the beginning so I know how much space I have to use. Like a green line in build mode or something.

- I wish you could build buildings away from roads. They don't have to "work" until I connect a road. But sometimes its easier to place the buildings before the roads.

- In overhead mode I wish the camera would let me tilt a bit further down so I could see the building im placing from a lower angle.

- Driving controls were OK, but could be a bit tighter. It didn't always feel like the actions i took on the controller were translating to the vehicle.

- Instead of having to delete everything after the guided part of the game to build a city, you should have the option to start fresh with the tutorial part turned off. I know there is an option to buy a 2nd city, but that to me isn't the same thing.

Message 2 of 704 (4,269 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1667 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

I have also noticed sometimes placing items, yet it shows 0/1. I don't know if its just lag or, but several times while placing stuff along the road it shows 0/1--, I've had to delete the building and rebuild it a few times as well and it seems to work then.

Message 3 of 704 (4,255 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
79 posts

Oct 3, 2012

- If I'm not mistaken, you can also receive a small amount of damage to your vehicle when driving over tiny bumps like the curb. This doesn't really make sense, because a lot of the people/zombies in need of pick-up are off of the road.

- As far as paid upgrades, they definitely could have went easier on the prices, especially considering how many coins everything costs.

- I'd like to be able to activate inventory items in my city after I exit the create mode.

- It'd be nice if people could actually enter the buildings, and maybe even interact with them.

Lion Signature
Message 4 of 704 (4,207 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Oct 3, 2012

could someone please tell me how to get my own city. i know we r suppose to get our own city but for some reason i'm sharing a city with someone and we see each other talk, etc. and everything i place she deletes. i've already wasted 400 gold coiins and alot of cash due to the servers being crossed. how can i fix this?

this is large and i approve this message
Message 5 of 704 (4,195 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
892 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Seems the time counter to recover workers stops when we go out from the game. Probably wants us to pay for them, but it would have been nice if it recovered while we were away. Don't really want to stay logged in for hours.

Message 6 of 704 (4,169 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Oct 3, 2012

nagon111 wrote:

Seems the time counter to recover workers stops when we go out from the game. Probably wants us to pay for them, but it would have been nice if it recovered while we were away. Don't really want to stay logged in for hours.

This is badly designed. You can screw yourself over by building too much before completing all the missions. Not enough money to purchase the mission items; Waste all your workers building your funds back up then you have none.

Message 7 of 704 (4,137 Views)
Wastelander
730 posts

Oct 3, 2012
Blew threw my coins in no time at all. Got a car, it helps getting around my city and others. I think it takes too long for works to come back. 10 mins for 1 worker.
Message 8 of 704 (4,109 Views)
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

Why in the world does it cost workers to collect revenue?! It's impossible to play without leaving your PS3 on for days or spending far too much gold.

If we can't regenerate workers while offline, like pretty much any other game with a stamina system, the game is unplayable and not worth the effort.

Message 9 of 704 (4,060 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1314 posts

Oct 3, 2012

i'm trying to buy all the expansion packs but all it does is load forever.Whats the deal

Message 10 of 704 (4,033 Views)
0 Likes