Highlighted
Nov 24 2010
By: Reverend_M Treasure Hunter 6846 posts

Home Genders

108 replies 162 views Edited Nov 24, 2010

Almost since the beginning of Home Open Beta, there's been a lot of . . . passion behind the genders of Home's Avatars and Home's Users.

I wanted to post this question and hope for some decent discussion regarding the following:

I'm curious as to everyone's take on the apparent obsession of genders of Home avatars and the users behind them. Does it matter to you? If so, why?

Now, not everyone is obsessed with genders in Home. However, it appears the majority is indeed obsessed in some way, shape, or form.

My question is, does the gender of avatars of Home matter to you? And Why? Does the gender of the Home Users behind those avatars matter to you, and why? (Please keep your answers clean.)

My answer?

None of the above matters to me. The gender of a Home Avatar isn't even real, to be honest. Rather it is implied. It isn't like a picture since pictures are taken from real life people. It's a made up character from a game and is not biological in any way. Therefore, no gender. I think of it as the same way as an avatar's hair style and color. It's only a representation of such, not an actual thing. And as such . . .

The gender of the Home User behind those avatars also does not matter to me. In real life I talk to female and male alike. I visit and hang out with both genders. The same is for Home, it doesn't matter one bit to me, the gender of the User I am chatting with or befriending. The reason? I'm not looking for any relationship with them, nor am I looking to be sexual in any way, shape, form, or conversation. I'm not interested in what gender they are, but rather I am interested in their personality and whether they're good friends, and able to carry on a decent conversation.

Some say they want to chat only with certain genders on the basis that they have the same like/dislikes and everything, therefore enabling them to have decent conversations. However, I say that if that be true, you should be able to figure out their gender based on the conversation and whether they have the same likes/dislikes as you have. So instead of limiting things by gender-locking people out of conversations, simply determine if they have the same likes/dislikes as you THROUGH talking to them. This way you may also find some exceptions to the rule, instead of judging all through stereotypes.

Some, simply have that preference that they only want to hang out with their own gender. Which is their own personal choice and nothing really wrong with that. Though I'd say it does limit oneself.

On the question of females using male avatars, and males using female avatars: Doesn't bother me one bit. The reason goes back to how avatar genders are merely representations like hair and clothing of the avatars. I don't get upset if the person behind a red-headed avatar wearing a slurpie hoodie in real life has black hair and owns no hoodie at all. I don't assume their avatar is a true representation of their real life counterpart. Therefore, nothing wrong. Now that IS different from someone who SAYS they are one gender when they are not. That's deception and I am highly against that. (I hate lying. Why not just be honest about things? There's ways of being honest without revealing who you really are, such as the very easy phrase: "Sorry/Thanks, but I'd rather not say.")

So what is everyone else's take on this?

Does the gender of avatars of Home matter to you? And Why? Does the gender of the Home Users behind those avatars matter to you, and why? (Please keep your answers clean.)

+++++++++++

As an added Bonus:

The same question for the age of Home Users.

My answer is the same here. My conversations do not go into R/M/NC17 realms and therefore I have no problems talking with any age. I'm far from looking for anything sexual, and in Real Life I talk to all ages just the same. It gets quite interesting seeing and hearing things from the perspectives of the different age groups.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 1 of 109 (162 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Home Genders

Nov 24, 2010

I only care about having fun with people I meet. As long as they are fun and respectful I really don't care what gender they are. I have lots of both male and female friends and some of them are cross dressers. It doesn't really matter to me.

Jo

Message 2 of 109 (162 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Nov 24, 2010

Indeed, Joanna Home is meant for fun, afterall, right? So why not have fun!

Message 3 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1308 posts

Nov 24, 2010

to me,  it definitely does not matter about age, gender or where they live even. it bugs me when those questions are the first 3 asked. i'll often just walk away if that's the first things people want to know about me because it seems like they're interested in one thing. and it's usually "male" avatars that ask these questions off the get go.

as long as you have the same interests or can even have an intelligent debate, then it doesn't matter about real life or avatar gender.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Nov 24, 2010

I need to call out one small flaw in your opening statement, Reverend, and that's the point where you say you're not looking for a relationship with others. I believe you're defining that as a romantic relationship, which I know is true in your case, but an online friendship is a relationship as well, and one that can have all the ups and downs of any other type of relationship.

As for my take on this, I am, essentially, myself in Home. My avatar looks a lot like me and behaves like me, apart from the dancing. I really can't dance worth a darn. And you'd be hard pressed to get me to wear that turkey suit IRL.

As someone who's very honest about himself in-world, I look for friends who share that characteristic. It doesn't matter to me if they're male or female, what their religion is, what their romantic preferences are, or how they dress. I truly enjoy talking with people who have different points of view, as long as they're honest about themselves and what they believe. I've no use for those who are deliberately deceitful, who boast to call attention to themselves, or who behave in random and chaotic ways. I'm also not that keen on role-playing; I'm not against it at all, and I understand why people enjoy it, it's just not my thing.

Basically, I'm a fairly serious guy who has precious little time to spare. I choose to spend a good deal of it in Home, either playing games or having conversations with people who can also be serious once in a while.

Truth is, I don't even look at avatars most of the time unless someone points one out to me, as I'm too busy reading text. I do tend to get all mentor-y with younger people, but that's a bad habit I've never really been able to control.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 5 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5132 posts

Nov 24, 2010

Im With Joanna

Its All About The Fun And Meeting People To Game With .. Home Is Like Vacation After Gaming For Long Hours .. Hang Out And Chat With Friends And Perhaps Make New Friends

My Friends List Is Mixed With All Kinds Of People .. People Who Are Interesting In Their Own Way

btw .. Nice Thread Reverand (maybe i need a more powerful sedative for you .. lol jk)

Message 6 of 109 (162 Views)
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Nov 24, 2010

I generally prefer talking to women.

I don't expect anything to sprout from online conversations, but when it comes down to it I have more to say to females than males. As for avatars, you can't really tell who's what so I end up talking to everyone, but I usually keep in contact with those who are obviously female -or just damn cool dudes. I won't go out of my way to keep in touch with a dude, as I've already got my close bunch of masculine friends to shoot the ish with.

Message 7 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
627 posts

Nov 24, 2010

I was called a tranny and verbally abused in CP a few days ago. Oh and they were glitchers standing on the bench.  

Message 8 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Nov 24, 2010

don99913 wrote:

I was called a tranny and verbally abused in CP a few days ago. Oh and they were glitchers standing on the bench.  

I tend to avoid CP. I find more people at a higher maturity level in the mall

Message 9 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Nov 24, 2010

HearItWow, Wow, yes I have to say I misused that word "relationship" in that one! Haha, good call. I did mean relationship beyond the friendship stage!

I'm the same way with my own avatar being as I am in real life: My attitude, way I handle myself, etc. Except I'm horrible with avatar design and cannot in any way create one that looks close enough to me in real life haha

Sly, I think you'll need some pretty strong tranqs indeed! As well as lots and lots of gorrila tape!

Message 10 of 109 (162 Views)
0 Likes