Jan 01 2014
By: Shadow-Runner Survivor 2039 posts

Home Conspiracies Vol 1

[ Edited ]
38 replies 602 views Edited Jan 1, 2014

Okay, so im starting a set of threads on what I consider COULD BE some valid conspiriaces about Home. I might do this once a week, just to see how everyone feels, thinks and reacts to some of the materials covered. Just some thoughts of mine, that im sure some of you have pondered or even discussed from time to time. 

This one is titled: Does the Home staff including Home moderators, Home developers, support staff, fourm mods and even the comunity manager, Tempest himself...know if and or when Home will be shutting down? All servers, all regions. Permenantly.

I bring this question to you, as something to think about. They have all told us they dont know. They have no information to SHARE "at this time"....but do any of you actually believe that? What if, there is a conspiracy going on to shut Home down at a certain date and time? What if Sony and the Home staff DO know...and they just havent been ALLOWED to disclose such information? What if, the ONLY response they have been allowed to give us, is "We have no information to share at this time"? 

Well, the first thing one would say is: Why would they do that? 

Simple, really. They dont want to start a panic. They dont want to lose their customers, fans, users, etc... They have a cash flow coming in. It's decent, but not really enough to warrant keeping Home online indefinately. If the devs know, they wouldnt tell you. Because a LOT of people would stop buying from them. A lot of people would stop buying stuff altogether, stop investing in Home, stop coming on Home....a lot of people would throw in the towel early and just abandon it. Hardcore loyalists would stay right up until the last minute, before seeing Home go offline for the last time. But a large portion of its userbase would call it quits. And THAT would hurt the Home devs, the Home staff and even Sony. They all want to capitalize and maximize on cash flow and profit for as long as they can. Why scare off their customers? Home is a service thriving on and ran by microtransactions, afterall. 

So, the next thing one would say is: But isnt Home Sony's biggest cash cow, on the PS3?

While there are no official and factual numbers that has EVER been released by Sony or their affiliates, that can determine one way or the other just exactly how financially successful Home is.....it may not simply matter. Sony, as a company, has been known to minimize...consolidate...reallocate resources, budgets, R&D, staff and projects...even close down entire departments with no exception to laying some of it's employees off. At what point, as CEO of SCEA or whatever...do you say "Okay guys, we held a meeting and concluded that PlayStation Home just isnt as financially productive as we had hoped it would be. We took a risk and we were a little over zealous and over ambitious with our plans, when it launched back in December of 2008. As it turns out, we have found that PlayStation Home is no longer worth the investment, to continue the service on the PS3...and as such, we have no plans at this time, to extend the Home service beyond the PS3 platform, or to the PS4. Instead, we have decided to reallocate those resources to other projects and other departments, where we hope to see some major improvements." Some people out there like to think that Home rakes in MILLIONS and pays for itself to be indefinately sustained...but that sadly is NOT the case. Everything has a shelf life and a lifespan. Even virtual worlds...

What do YOU think? Do you think were being lied to? Do you think those "in the know" are purposely witholding secret information from us? Or do you think they've been 100% truthful every step of the way?  o_O

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 1 of 39 (602 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
628 posts

Re: Home Conspiracies Vol 1

Jan 1, 2014
This'll last long
Message 2 of 39 (594 Views)
Gaming Beast
1732 posts

Jan 1, 2014
Sony lie to us? Well there's at least one fool here who will never believe that. Seriously though, Sony does owe us some answers.
Message 3 of 39 (592 Views)
Sackboy
458 posts

Jan 1, 2014

Shadow-Runner wrote:
But isnt Home Sony's biggest cash cow, on the PS3?

lol

First off, Home will never be Sony's cash cow - console sales, DLC and licensing contracts will do that.

Assuming that Home even generated 40% of gaming revenue though they have a comfort zone all around them. Music, televisions, phones and other media devices are also huge sources of income.

Complete global saturation.
Message 4 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

Does the Home staff including Home moderators, Home developers, support staff, fourm mods and even the comunity manager, Tempest himself...know if and or when Home will be shutting down?

Well, At least you're not preaching "Home is doomed soon!!''   anymore.

Moderators are usually on a contract and some stay around and some leave and I would be surprised if a handful knew what was going on so no. They have a totally different job than others mentioned. Third party devs? Currently do not know and they keep doing what they do. If they knew home was closing then there wouldn't be but a few sticking around.

Community Managers do not know. Put it this way. They don't know about core updates until about a week or two before it drops. Here is the whole enchilada in sauce for you. Sony japan corporate has final say on everything. The same reason the MVP program took so long to get approved even after being in developement for such a very long time is most likely why Home has not been dealt with. It takes forever to get anything going with the head honchos at Sony. Think I have said enough on this.  

HomeStationMagazine
Message 5 of 39 (561 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

Jan 1, 2014
Nice response, Jers.

But surely SOMEONE knows, whats going on. If not the people here, then those at Sony HQ. Somewhere on this planet, is a Sony office building. Inside that office building, is a team of people who oversee Home operations and management. You telling me THEY dont know anything about their service they call Home? No future plans? No projected end date? Theyre just going day by day, willy nilly...ad-libbing...making stuff up as they go? They havent had one single meeting or discussion on Home's future or lifespan?

No....someone knows. And that person(s) or people....for whatever reasons, arent saying. Not saying youre wrong. Just stating my beliefs.

The Truth Is Out There....
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 6 of 39 (536 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jan 1, 2014
*om nom nom Blech* *cough*
Conspiracy no tasty...needs to be taken with pinch of salt Smiley Happy

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 7 of 39 (534 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2039 posts

Jan 1, 2014
All conspiracies need to be taken with a pinch of salt. LOL.

Im not stating facts. Just opinions and personal thoughts. Just saying....WHAT IF?
Message 8 of 39 (530 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jan 1, 2014

Shadow-Runner wrote:
Nice response, Jers.

But surely SOMEONE knows, whats going on. If not the people here, then those at Sony HQ. Somewhere on this planet, is a Sony office building. Inside that office building, is a team of people who oversee Home operations and management. You telling me THEY dont know anything about their service they call Home? No future plans? No projected end date? Theyre just going day by day, willy nilly...ad-libbing...making stuff up as they go? They havent had one single meeting or discussion on Home's future or lifespan?

No....someone knows. And that person(s) or people....for whatever reasons, arent saying. Not saying youre wrong. Just stating my beliefs.

The Truth Is Out There....

Home EU would be incharge of trying to get whatever they want and Sony Japan Corp would approve at their leisure. As I mentioned it's seriously like pulling teeth. MVP program took over a year to get up and running and that was all on Sony corp and a lot of that was because of the name it was not originally being named ''MVP''. Who knows what they decide on Home or WHEN.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 9 of 39 (525 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jan 1, 2014
Haha, I know man. Just saying it's a big what if.
I'm sure the director of Home has a forecast, 2014 strategy and contingency plan ready but that is most likely for them and their superior to know, and the rest of the staff like DPM's and the Home committee are fed what they need to know.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 10 of 39 (524 Views)
0 Likes