Treasure Hunter
4664 posts

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 26, 2013

julie_love wrote:

bookepride wrote:
Not you, or the community are apart of SCEA Marketing group. Leave it to them, Missy.

'apart' means not part of. Did you mean 'a part'?

Oh no's. I made a spelling mistake. We'll talk about it at your upcoming weekly Welcoming Committee. Can't wait sir

Message 31 of 38 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jan 26, 2013
I wouldn't knock Conrad too much on this one. He may be absolutely right. Even so, I still think that Sony would be well served to seek more promotional opportunities to create events and rewards with tie-ins to games, movies, music etc. I think that it could generate money to back the platform and give customers content that they would enjoy.
castle3
Message 32 of 38 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4725 posts

Jan 27, 2013
Waiting for the knock it off. Ready? Go!
Message 33 of 38 (202 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Oh and by the way...the topic was How SHOULD Sony make money from Home ?

Your canned copy and paste reply was the off topic initiative.

Now according to Sony's wiki page...

PlayStation Home (also marketed and referred to as Home) is a virtual 3D social gaming platform developed by Sony Computer Entertainment's London Studio for the PlayStation 3 on the PlayStation Network.

Home[4] was originally named 'Hub',[5] and started as a 2D online lobby for the PlayStation 2 game, The Getaway: Black Monday. However, the online userbase for the PlayStation 2 was too narrow and the project was soon ported to the PSN for the PS3

Phil Harrison, then president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, liked the idea of having a virtual 3D community hub for PlayStation gamers, and transferred the project to become PlayStation Home.[6] In a 2007 keynote speech, Phil Harrison used the term "Game 3.0" to describe the service.[7] Home had been speculated since the launch of PSN and Sony had expressed interest in such a service, specifically trophies (known at the time as "entitlements") for first-party titles.[8]

Jack Buser, Director of Home for SCEA, stated that the name of the “beta” was not going to be removed.[27] In a Eurogamer interview with Peter Edwards on July 24, 2009, Edwards commented that the service will no longer be beta when it "represents a kind of final quality."[28] On October 14, 2009, Jack Buser commented that "the vision of Home has evolved." He said that originally, they were building Home as a "social network for gamers", but it has now developed into a "game platform, first and foremost."[29]

Although the service itself can be used free of charge, premium content is available to purchase from various stores in the shopping complex and in certain spaces. Users browse and pay for items, such as virtual clothing and furniture, by accessing a shop and using its PlayStation Store interface. Items are paid for in real currency using funds from the user's PlayStation Network Wallet.[45][46] Alongside content designed by SCE, actual companies are also able to sell virtual goods through their own stores in Home.

Advertising is prominent in Home’s public spaces. Currently, this is primarily PlayStation focused although other video gaming-related brands are also represented. Most advertising is targeted to specific regional audiences.[13]

Wow, thats funny because it seems to be going against the gospel according to Saint Conrad from the Church of Home.

But its only copy and paste so its ok right ?

Message 34 of 38 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Jan 27, 2013

bookepride wrote:

julie_love wrote:

bookepride wrote:
Not you, or the community are apart of SCEA Marketing group. Leave it to them, Missy.

'apart' means not part of. Did you mean 'a part'?

Oh no's. I made a spelling mistake. We'll talk about it at your upcoming weekly Welcoming Committee. Can't wait sir

I don't think those exist anymore.

Message 35 of 38 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jan 27, 2013

IM_AT_KFC wrote:
 Welcoming Committee.

I don't think those exist anymore.

I bet you're bored to death now huh Mr. freeze?

HomeStationMagazine
Message 36 of 38 (137 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Jan 27, 2013
  1. Get big name companies to invest in Home.  Nike, Reebok, Coke, 7/11 or any big name.
  2. Put Home on cell phones.  (Sony was able to do this in the CB but then Xbox was once again able to beat Sony to the punch)
  3. Bring in the "Hall of Fame" this will not make any money but it will bring more gamers into Home.
  4. Fix up the movie theater in Home.  Sony did this before and maid a lot in advertisements.
  5. Make Home commercials (a little late now but it is supper bowl time)
  6. Make more PS3 games that unlock items in Home.  (don't know if this will be possable after the upcoming update)
  7. Make a FaceBook like page just for Home users.  (once again Sony made somthing like this for Home but never gave it to us)
  8. Have Sony invest in things like Xi so they will be free!  (unbelievable how much advertisementing Xi did for Home)
  9. Bring back phil harrison!!!
  10. Take Home out of the open beta!!!

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 37 of 38 (108 Views)
Survivor
1691 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2013

Without any financials of Home, it is conjecture that any offered ideas in the OP would result in "greater revenue." Greater customer feedback, I'd say yes, but to go insofar as saying it would result in greater revenue, without any numbers (which are not available) is hard to back up.

General business theory would dictate that greater customer service = greater revenue; however, many social engines such as Zynga Games and Home, a small core of big spenders account for a vast majority of its revenues. So, in the end, it's less about how many users Home retains, but which ones. If these big spenders are willing to buy almost anything that comes to their footstep, then Home can just as easily continue on the track it's on and pump out more content and rake in the revenue, with less effort, labor, and, ultimately, costs, all leading to a potentially greater PROFIT, then if it undertook ambitious, costly measures.

Message 38 of 38 (95 Views)
0 Likes