May 21 2014
By: tdarb Fender Bender 3844 posts

Home Chess Tournament

[ Edited ]
36 replies 723 views Edited May 26, 2014

Hi everyone. Anyone up for some chess? Then today's your lucky day..well next week sometime, but still.

If there's interest, next week I will be hosting a chess tournament (rules posted below).

Post here if you are interested, or have any questions. Signup deadline will be Sunday at 9 PM. I will post the brackets by midnight.

Good luck, and have fun!

Boring rules behind the spoiler tag (please read).

Spoiler

It will be a single elimination bracketed event with random seeding (in other words, you will be paired up randomly). In the event of an odd number of players, the last player(s) on the random list may receive a pass for the first round to ensure even matchups at the end.

Each "round" will have three days to complete. I will announce the pairings in this thread. I will then PM each participant informing them of their pairing. All participants should reply to acknowledge their match (a simple blank reply will be fine). You will then have three days to arrange and play the match with your assigned opponent. It will be left to the participants to contact one another and schedule the match. Once completed, match results should be posted in this thread by the winner (both are welcome to post).

In the event that one participant does not respond to the initial matchup PM, a second PM will be sent the next day. If three days pass with no response, that participant will be disqualified and their opponent will automatically proceed to the next round.

One participant from each match will be encouraged to set up a chess table in their personal space for the match. Pictures, and post match wrapups are encouraged. Heck, invite a group over and make an evening of it if you like. If you have a friend with great taste and an awesome space, have them host your match. Go wild. If neither have a table, I will set up a basic club with a table for that, but would prefer it be arranged amongst the participants as I think that brings the best interaction. Besides, it's a good chance to dust off a space you never use and set it up to show off.

People expressing interest in playing:

@Y2David 

@radix023 

@Shinra_Soldier7 

@StardustChampion 

@mango2900 

@Tsunamirider101 

@tdarb 

If anyone else is interested, let me know. I'd like to kick this off Sunday, but would be nice to have a few more people Smiley Happy

5/25 update

First round pairings are as follows:

Table 1:

1. @Y2David (1)
  2. @StardustChampion (2)

Table 2:

1. @Shinra_Soldier7 (3)
  2. @tdarb (4)

Table 3:

1. @radix023 (5)
  2. @mango2900 (6)

Table 4:

1. @Tsunamirider101 (7)
  2. Pass
Message 1 of 37 (723 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11127 posts

Re: Home Chess Tournament

May 21, 2014

"You will then have three days to arrange and play the match with your assigned opponent."

3 days? You sure that's enough? I remember that horrific pool tournament........Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 37 (709 Views)
Fender Bender
3844 posts

May 21, 2014

Not sure if that was serious or sarcastic Smiley Happy

The thing is, we all have personal lives, and not everyone's schedule will match up every day. Three days seems a reasonable amount of time for people to make contact, and play a match. Any longer than that seems too long to wait between rounds.

We'll see though. If that doesn't work, we can always adjust it for next time.

Message 3 of 37 (701 Views)
Wastelander
682 posts

May 21, 2014

I'm interested, but I do want to note that this is honors system X2.

1) no referee for the match, so the loser has to be honest and admit they lost and not argue

2) no guarantee they aren't using a chess engine on the back end

I like chess, don't play enough and don't really care if I win the tourney or not, so I'm fine with your setup as proposed.

Message 4 of 37 (683 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

May 21, 2014

I'm in, count me in..   we can have friends as witnesses if anything and how fun to take advantage of a good game of chess here on Home Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 37 (665 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5755 posts

May 21, 2014
Since you said 1 person from each match is encouraged to set up a chess table in their personal space, I thought I'd mention that there are public chess tables at The Playground (and possibly Indie Arcade? It's been a while, so not 100% positive) in case someone doesn't own chess table active items.

Message 6 of 37 (666 Views)
Fender Bender
3844 posts

May 21, 2014

Yeah radix, there is a bit of the honor system going on. Most people are good though, so I think we'll be fine. I just can't be everywhere at all times to "witness". If someone feels they need it, I can try. If someone wants to volunteer to "host" a game at one of their spaces, that would be great too.

Cool David, I figured you'd be in. Smiley Very Happy

Stephie, I wasn't sure if there were or not, thanks for mentioning that. Personally, I haven't always had the best experiences at the playground, but if people want to give it a go there, that's fine too. I just thought it may be fun to host it in a space. I'll try and have something set up in a clubhouse as well.

I may set up a personal space too and try and be on a couple nights to play witness if people want it. We'll see though.

Glad to see there is some interest!

Message 7 of 37 (649 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
822 posts

May 21, 2014

I would be interested in participating in the event as well. 

Message 8 of 37 (638 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

May 21, 2014

StephieRawks wrote:
Since you said 1 person from each match is encouraged to set up a chess table in their personal space, I thought I'd mention that there are public chess tables at The Playground (and possibly Indie Arcade? It's been a while, so not 100% positive) in case someone doesn't own chess table active items.

Adventure District and Playground are the public spaces I know that contain Chess tables Smiley Wink

Do miss the old mall Chess tables ;p

Message 9 of 37 (635 Views)
Uncharted Territory
665 posts

May 21, 2014

I might be intrested depending on when the games are. If they are on somewhat later in the evening I would give it a go.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 37 (591 Views)