Reply
Highlighted
Apr 13 2010
By: ForeverRival Wastelander 657 posts
Offline

Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

26 replies 21 views Edited Apr 13, 2010

There's a saying that goes something like this. "It doesn't matter what people are saying about you as long as they ARE talking about you. It's when they stop talking about you at all that you have to start to worry."

 

No matter how much people on this forum may complain about Home at least they ARE talking about it which means they probably use it. So even if they complain you basically got them just like you have the people who defend Home. The real problem is the people who completely ignore Home. The people who used it once at the start of open beta and then never used it again or worse the people who simply deleted it.

 

These are the people you have to win back. The question is how do you do that when they have already made up their minds that Home isn't worth their time? I've seen some people say that the problem is missing features like TV/Radios(mediasharing), Public Voice Chat and of course the Hall of Fame. They seem to think that these things will draw gamers into Home like a magnet. I however disagree.

 

Being able to play your own video/audio in Home would be great. It would certainly make throwing parties and entertaining friends in your personal space more fun. Public voice chat would make chatting with friends and strangers easier. The thing is both of these are tools for socializing in Home. So called "hardcore" or "real" gamers are notoriously anti-social. Will these people really care if you add better social tools/features to Home? They don't want to do virtual dances to real music in a friends Neptune Suite. They don't care about watching movies at a friend's Lakeside Log Cabin.  They don't want to chat over mics in Central Plaza.

 

What they care about is playing games. What they care about is anything that can enhance their game playing experience in a real way. TV/Radios and Public Voice chat won't do that. But what about the Hall of Fame?

 

Let's talk about that Hall of Fame. This is the one thing about Home that might interest these "gamers". So why no Hall of Fame yet? My personal theory is that you guys built it and did all the work on your end and you could release it in the next update except for one problem. Games don't support it. That's right, just like game launching in Home. For the Hall of Fame to work you need game developers to support it by doing the work on their end and making the trophies that will go in the Hall of Fame. If the game developers don't support it then the Hall of Fame is essentially useless and just another fancy apartment.

 

You really can't blame them though. Home is used by a comparatively small percentage of PS3 owners.  So why spend the time and money on a feature that only a minority of PS3 owners will use?                                                                                                                                                                                           

Don't fret however. The Hall of Fame was overrated anyway. It's just another way to show off your trophies. That doesn't actually enhance gameplay. You guys already have an idea you're working on that could have a much bigger impact on Home than the HoF ever could. You just have to focus on it and expand it. What is it?

 

The MSGL (Multi Shot Grenade Launcher)

The LRPE (Long Range Plasma Emitter)

 

The new Salt Shooter Weapons that you can purchase in the Sodium store in the Mall. You purchase these ornaments for you personal space and they can also be used in the Salt Shooter game. This concept is the killer app Home needs to give gamers who don't use Home a reason to log in.

 

Just imagine. 

 

A guy is playing MAG with his clan when he notices one of his buddies is sporting some new armor and a cool new weapon. So of course he asks his friend how he got the new items. His friend tells him he bought them in Home at the Mall. This guy never even gave Home a thought until now, but after seeing his buddy in action with the new gear he wants it for himself and logs into Home for the first time to get it.

 

Or....

 

A guy is playing Gran Turismo online and gets dusted by a friend in an exotic car he's never seen before. He asks how did you unlock that ride. His friend tells him he bought it in Home and that if he wants to see it up close and personal instead of just the taillights then he will invite him to his apartment in Home where he has a scale model of the car.

 

Or....

 

Two people are grouped in Final Fantasy 14 taking on a really tough monster. One pulls out a wicked looking weapon and proceeds to lay the smack down on the mob. The other asks how where did you get that weapon. The response is that it came from Home.

 

This is the best way to advertise Home to gamers who don't use or care about Home. They will see other players with cool gear they don't have and be compelled to ask where it came from. Once they find out you can get it in Home and show it off in your Home apartment they will want to give Home another try or try it for the first time.

 

Home will finally have a point for them and a reason that will make them want to log in. Once they log in they will get to see all the changes Home has gone through and all the new things it has to offer. They might even decide to stay awhile and check it all out even after they buy their shiny new weapon/armor/car etc. from the Mall.

 

Hopefully this is where you are headed with Salt Shooter being only the first step. This concept is much better than a Hall of Fame. You get ornaments to show off in any personal space as well as items to help give you an edge in the games you play. That beats a trophy that just sits there doing nothing.

 

Message 3 of 27 (21 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 12/20/2009
Offline
835 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

ForeverRival wrote:

 

These are the people you have to win back. The question is how do you do that when they have already made up their minds that Home isn't worth their time? I've seen some people say that the problem is missing features like TV/Radios(mediasharing), Public Voice Chat and of course the Hall of Fame. They seem to think that these things will draw gamers into Home like a magnet. I however disagree.

 

Being able to play your own video/audio in Home would be great. It would certainly make throwing parties and entertaining friends in your personal space more fun. Public voice chat would make chatting with friends and strangers easier. The thing is both of these are tools for socializing in Home. So called "hardcore" or "real" gamers are notoriously anti-social. Will these people really care if you add better social tools/features to Home? They don't want to do virtual dances to real music in a friends Neptune Suite. They don't care about watching movies at a friend's Lakeside Log Cabin.  They don't want to chat over mics in Central Plaza.

 

What they care about is playing games. What they care about is anything that can enhance their game playing experience in a real way. TV/Radios and Public Voice chat won't do that. But what about the Hall of Fame?


 Those features you mentioned in the third paragraph won't make gamers rush to Home, but it will improve Home in a way, and give it a different public image, thus, attracting developers. Now, you're idea is really good, but I think developers need to see a  better side of Home first. You see, those hardcore gamers that you say are usually anti-social, make the industry. The casual audience doesn't know the next 3 PS3 games coming out, they just follow fads that easily catch their attention. You think gamers are anti-social, yet you have a wave of casual users who buy tons of virtual items and socialize in a virtual world? lol, c'mon now. Bottom line more devs will support Home and maybe your idea IF Home begins to look more like a gamer's hub, instead of a Second Life.
Photobucket
Message 1 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 07/30/2009
Offline
522 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010
Hmm... I like these ideas. Your 'gamers are antisocial' struck me. The catch here is that the ps3 appeals to a wide spectrum, bluray movie enthusiasts to hard core gamers. I would like to see more multiplayer game content in home, like some fps spaces. Give virtual thugs and soldiers some spaces to duke it out, buy more advanced weapons, vehicles and armor, large map... All the while advertising over billboards. Basically start to blur the line between Home and game, though not to a level that you take away much from console title sales unless that works out to sony's benefit. Imagine creating an avatar that you command outside of the Home world.
Message 2 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/28/2009
Offline
657 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

 


MidnightxMenace wrote:

ForeverRival wrote:

 

These are the people you have to win back. The question is how do you do that when they have already made up their minds that Home isn't worth their time? I've seen some people say that the problem is missing features like TV/Radios(mediasharing), Public Voice Chat and of course the Hall of Fame. They seem to think that these things will draw gamers into Home like a magnet. I however disagree.

 

Being able to play your own video/audio in Home would be great. It would certainly make throwing parties and entertaining friends in your personal space more fun. Public voice chat would make chatting with friends and strangers easier. The thing is both of these are tools for socializing in Home. So called "hardcore" or "real" gamers are notoriously anti-social. Will these people really care if you add better social tools/features to Home? They don't want to do virtual dances to real music in a friends Neptune Suite. They don't care about watching movies at a friend's Lakeside Log Cabin.  They don't want to chat over mics in Central Plaza.

 

What they care about is playing games. What they care about is anything that can enhance their game playing experience in a real way. TV/Radios and Public Voice chat won't do that. But what about the Hall of Fame?


 Those features you mentioned in the third paragraph won't make gamers rush to Home, but it will improve Home in a way, and give it a different public image, thus, attracting developers. Now, you're idea is really good, but I think developers need to see a  better side of Home first. You see, those hardcore gamers that you say are usually anti-social, make the industry. The casual audience doesn't know the next 3 PS3 games coming out, they just follow fads that easily catch their attention. You think gamers are anti-social, yet you have a wave of casual users who buy tons of virtual items and socialize in a virtual world? lol, c'mon now. Bottom line more devs will support Home and maybe your idea IF Home begins to look more like a gamer's hub, instead of a Second Life.

 

 

Developers don't really care about "Home's public image" whatever that means. They care about numbers. How many people use Home and how much money they spend on it. If the number of users continues to grow the developers will continue to come. 

 

By the way Home is already a gamer's hub. I'm a gamer. I wouldn't refer to myself as "hardcore" ( I would say that I'm anti-social) but I own around 30 PS3 games(disc based) and have 333 trophies. I also own a 360 and had a Wii that I gave away to my brother's kids. I play games and I also enjoy using Home and all the friends I have made in Home also play games. I'm a member of a club in Home and many of it's members are "hardcore". Some of those guys have over 700 trophies and multiple platinums.

 

Gamers already use Home. The problem is that many do not because at the beginning of open beta Home was boring with barely anything to do. That has changed, but these people left and never looked back. They need something that will give them a real reason to come back Home and check it out again. Something that they can use in the games they play will get them to log into Home faster than music and videos in personal spaces.

Message 4 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/28/2009
Offline
657 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

 


PygmyOperative wrote:
Hmm... I like these ideas. Your 'gamers are antisocial' struck me. The catch here is that the ps3 appeals to a wide spectrum, bluray movie enthusiasts to hard core gamers. I would like to see more multiplayer game content in home, like some fps spaces. Give virtual thugs and soldiers some spaces to duke it out, buy more advanced weapons, vehicles and armor, large map... All the while advertising over billboards. Basically start to blur the line between Home and game, though not to a level that you take away much from console title sales unless that works out to sony's benefit. Imagine creating an avatar that you command outside of the Home world.

 

 

We have actual games for that. We should be able to buy more advanced weapons, vehicles and armor in Home, but to use in actual games that we play outside of Home. Home is like the ultimate game lobby. Where you can meet up with people who play games and become friends and play games together. Mini games in Home are fine, but Home shouldn't be a substitute for real gaming.

 

Now being able to use your Home avatar in a real game would also be cool.

 

Message 5 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 03/08/2007
Offline
1491 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

It just sounds like you're proposing yet another middleman in the connection of DLC and actual games and just sort of hoping that in the process you'll catch one or two interested parties at the risk of annoying the people who really enjoy the game but don't want to be removed from it.


You mentioned that one of the fundamental failures to the concept of the Hall of Fame is the lack of developer support on building 3d Trophies, which is actually a rather valid point and I totally agree with, but think about this: what developers are going to make Home furniture/ornament objects to coincide with a DLC upgrade? Most developers can barely make Home Rewards a reality in a fully priced retail game so I think it's rather naive to think that they would jump at the idea for, what, a $1.99 upgrade to make a slightly stronger sword when they wouldn't at a $59.99 game?

 

It's all well and good that you're intending this idea to be an "introduction" of PlayStation Home to a larger, possibly already dismissive audience, but as a "hardcore gamer" (I guess) it just sounds like a needless step to get at DLC for my games. A needless step that requires these first-time users to: download and install Home itself, set aside a minimum of 3GB HDD space for a cache, learn the basics of how to use the program, and the ability to find the DLC "item unlock" that they want out of thousands of items when it's just easier to make the DLC a 100KB unlock key on the PlayStation Store.

 

Message 6 of 27 (21 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 04/28/2009
Offline
657 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

 


Malice_Mizer wrote:

It just sounds like you're proposing yet another middleman in the connection of DLC and actual games and just sort of hoping that in the process you'll catch one or two interested parties at the risk of annoying the people who really enjoy the game but don't want to be removed from it.


You mentioned that one of the fundamental failures to the concept of the Hall of Fame is the lack of developer support on building 3d Trophies, which is actually a rather valid point and I totally agree with, but think about this: what developers are going to make Home furniture/ornament objects to coincide with a DLC upgrade? Most developers can barely make Home Rewards a reality in a fully priced retail game so I think it's rather naive to think that they would jump at the idea for, what, a $1.99 upgrade to make a slightly stronger sword when they wouldn't at a $59.99 game?

 

It's all well and good that you're intending this idea to be an "introduction" of PlayStation Home to a larger, possibly already dismissive audience, but as a "hardcore gamer" (I guess) it just sounds like a needless step to get at DLC for my games. A needless step that requires these first-time users to: download and install Home itself, set aside a minimum of 3GB HDD space for a cache, learn the basics of how to use the program, and the ability to find the DLC "item unlock" that they want out of thousands of items when it's just easier to make the DLC a 100KB unlock key on the PlayStation Store.

 


 

 

Well the point isn't to find a way to get DLC to users easier. The point is to use DLC as a way to drive traffic into Home.

 

Take a store like GameStop for instance. If my memory serves they offered customers the Gigawatt Blades in InFamous IF you preordered the game from them. I think they or someone did a similar offer with the golden guns in Uncharted 2.  You didn't need Gigawatt Blades or Golden Guns to enjoy the games, but if you wanted them you had to buy the game from a certain place. Those offers of DLC and others like it are intended to drive traffic into Gamestops.

 

Sony can't get every Developer on board to support the Hall of Fame, but they can get a few to make items like the Gigawatt Blades that will be sold in the Mall as both an ornament for your personal space and DLC for your game.  This will drive traffic into Home just like it drives traffic into Gamestop or any other place that sells video games and offers exclusive bonus items.

 

 

Message 7 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

 


ForeverRival wrote:
**snip**

 

You guys already have an idea you're working on that could have a much bigger impact on Home than the HoF ever could. You just have to focus on it and expand it. What is it?

 

The MSGL (Multi Shot Grenade Launcher)

The LRPE (Long Range Plasma Emitter)

 

The new Salt Shooter Weapons that you can purchase in the Sodium store in the Mall. You purchase these ornaments for you personal space and they can also be used in the Salt Shooter game. This concept is the killer app Home needs to give gamers who don't use Home a reason to log in.

 

Just imagine. 

 

A guy is playing MAG with his clan when he notices one of his buddies is sporting some new armor and a cool new weapon. So of course he asks his friend how he got the new items. His friend tells him he bought them in Home at the Mall. This guy never even gave Home a thought until now, but after seeing his buddy in action with the new gear he wants it for himself and logs into Home for the first time to get it.

 

Or....

 

A guy is playing Gran Turismo online and gets dusted by a friend in an exotic car he's never seen before. He asks how did you unlock that ride. His friend tells him he bought it in Home and that if he wants to see it up close and personal instead of just the taillights then he will invite him to his apartment in Home where he has a scale model of the car.

 

Or....

 

Two people are grouped in Final Fantasy 14 taking on a really tough monster. One pulls out a wicked looking weapon and proceeds to lay the smack down on the mob. The other asks how where did you get that weapon. The response is that it came from Home.

 

This is the best way to advertise Home to gamers who don't use or care about Home. They will see other players with cool gear they don't have and be compelled to ask where it came from. Once they find out you can get it in Home and show it off in your Home apartment they will want to give Home another try or try it for the first time.

 

Home will finally have a point for them and a reason that will make them want to log in. Once they log in they will get to see all the changes Home has gone through and all the new things it has to offer. They might even decide to stay awhile and check it all out even after they buy their shiny new weapon/armor/car etc. from the Mall.

 

Hopefully this is where you are headed with Salt Shooter being only the first step. This concept is much better than a Hall of Fame. You get ornaments to show off in any personal space as well as items to help give you an edge in the games you play. That beats a trophy that just sits there doing nothing.

 


 

Please post these ideas in the Developer Thread! They are great and awesome ideas that deserve a look by the HCM's and the Devs. They might not read them here.

 

Home Development Feedback/Your most memorabel experiences

 

 

Message 8 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 12/20/2009
Offline
835 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

ForeverRival wrote:

  

Developers don't really care about "Home's public image" whatever that means. They care about numbers. How many people use Home and how much money they spend on it. If the number of users continues to grow the developers will continue to come. 

 

By the way Home is already a gamer's hub. I'm a gamer. I wouldn't refer to myself as "hardcore" ( I would say that I'm anti-social) but I own around 30 PS3 games(disc based) and have 333 trophies. I also own a 360 and had a Wii that I gave away to my brother's kids. I play games and I also enjoy using Home and all the friends I have made in Home also play games. I'm a member of a club in Home and many of it's members are "hardcore". Some of those guys have over 700 trophies and multiple platinums.

 

Gamers already use Home. The problem is that many do not because at the beginning of open beta Home was boring with barely anything to do. That has changed, but these people left and never looked back. They need something that will give them a real reason to come back Home and check it out again. Something that they can use in the games they play will get them to log into Home faster than music and videos in personal spaces.


 I meant public image as in what it looks like from the outside.Example,  Home looks like a virtual dollhouse. and that scares away the developers. Also, these gamers that left Home have probably visited after they left, but found out that it was the same boring place. I doubt that their curiosity is THAT limited. Once again, your idea can work, but only after Jack understands what exactly Home was supposed to be, and should be, then, developers will come. Yeah, a lot of people visit Home, but I doubt they can offer anything to developers in terms of support for their games.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 27 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Hey Jack. Forget about the Hall of Fame.

Apr 13, 2010

 


MidnightxMenace wrote:

ForeverRival wrote:

 

Developers don't really care about "Home's public image" whatever that means. They care about numbers. How many people use Home and how much money they spend on it. If the number of users continues to grow the developers will continue to come. 

 

By the way Home is already a gamer's hub. I'm a gamer. I wouldn't refer to myself as "hardcore" ( I would say that I'm anti-social) but I own around 30 PS3 games(disc based) and have 333 trophies. I also own a 360 and had a Wii that I gave away to my brother's kids. I play games and I also enjoy using Home and all the friends I have made in Home also play games. I'm a member of a club in Home and many of it's members are "hardcore". Some of those guys have over 700 trophies and multiple platinums.

 

Gamers already use Home. The problem is that many do not because at the beginning of open beta Home was boring with barely anything to do. That has changed, but these people left and never looked back. They need something that will give them a real reason to come back Home and check it out again. Something that they can use in the games they play will get them to log into Home faster than music and videos in personal spaces.


 I meant public image as in what it looks like from the outside.Example,  Home looks like a virtual dollhouse. and that scares away the developers. Also, these gamers that left Home have probably visited after they left, but found out that it was the same boring place. I doubt that their curiosity is THAT limited. Once again, your idea can work, but only after Jack understands what exactly Home was supposed to be, and should be, then, developers will come. Yeah, a lot of people visit Home, but I doubt they can offer anything to developers in terms of support for their games.


Can you provide a link to support this statement? I suggest that the sales made from apartments and virtual clothes and other items do just the opposite. Companies like IREM don't just make spaces, they sell virtual items. They also provide awesome events for the service. EA has made not only great spaces in their Complex but have provided a revenue stream for them as well by making jerseys and other items available as well. Sodium is also a combination of gaming and revenue generation and so on.

 

The revenue stream is important for any developer. They are not in this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Message 10 of 27 (21 Views)