Highlighted
Dec 21 2009
By: Izcer2 Lombax Warrior 234 posts

Harassment on Home

103 replies 599 views Edited Dec 21, 2009
Lately,  I've been watching my 16 yo daughter playing on Home and was amazed to see how she was treated by some of the people online.  What amazed me even more was the apparent lack of moderation.  I have heard there was always a moderator, sometimes seen, sometimes unseen.  Now, my daughter can pretty much handle herself and she's not stupid enough to give out personal info past her first name.  But not every child is like that, and THATS what troubles me.  I  think if Home continues to remain unsupervised (as far as I can tell) there will inevitably be an incident where  a child gives out an address or decides to meet with someone from Home in real life, and wind up murdered or kidnapped or both.  And I am not being overly dramatic.  Why do you think they have FBI policing chat rooms?   And that's all Home really is:  a variation of a chat room.  My daughter enjoys chatting with her Home friends and she's been telling me about this new premium service that will be coming out soon.  But I'm hesitant to give money to a service that doesnt respect its current players enough to prevent a 30plus guy from asking my daughter for nude pictures of her in front of everyone nearby.  And won't enforce their rules even after a report and a phone call.  You gotta wonder sometimes.
Message 1 of 104 (599 Views)
Lombax Warrior
131 posts

Re: Harassment on Home

Dec 21, 2009
Yep.

Message 2 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9933 posts

Dec 21, 2009

Yeah, it happens. Anyway, if you want a better reference here is the PlayStation Home forum linked below.

PlayStation®Home General

"Memories are forgotten, but never lost."
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 3 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
234 posts

Dec 21, 2009
Oh did I post in the wrong place?  I'm sorry.
Message 4 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Dec 21, 2009

Shouldn't be so surprised.

HOME is just like a huge chatroom, a public chatrrom, where anyone can come and go as they please. No age restriction, very minor moderation and a dominance of h0rny male teens. 

Best thing to do is just delete HOME. Problem solved, at least for you. I only tried HOME once or twice, and all I see are idiots just running up to female avatars and saying all types of derogatory things.

Or tell your daughter to use a male avatar and not advertise that she's a female.

Photobucket

Message 5 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
546 posts

Dec 21, 2009
Cool Story, Bro
Message 6 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
234 posts

Dec 21, 2009
Well, like I said she can pretty much handle herself.  I even get a laugh out of how she treats her would be offenders sometimes.  My concern are for the other children.
Message 7 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

Dec 21, 2009
This is not a new concern. yes, it would be a problem if bad things happened obviously, but if someone was to monitor all conversation... well, hello big brother.... 
Written in very small characters one word, which could be deciphered, but it was hard to tell whether it should be read as independent or interdependent

PSU handle: NewbieSmack
Gaming PSN handle: Mistah_Kurtz
Message 8 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
234 posts

Dec 21, 2009
And yet I think it would think they would be within their right to monitor all conversations.  There are children using Home.  So, is the final solution to the problem is to wait for some murder to occur or kidnapping before Sony clamps done on obvious perverted behavior on Home?
Message 9 of 104 (599 Views)
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Dec 21, 2009

Izcer2 wrote:
And yet I think it would think they would be within their right to monitor all conversations.  There are children using Home.  So, is the final solution to the problem is to wait for some murder to occur or kidnapping before Sony clamps done on obvious perverted behavior on Home?

I suppose so, unfortunately.

There'd be major controversy if they monitered all the conversations.

Photobucket

Message 10 of 104 (599 Views)
0 Likes